The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 169

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    If scale length didn’t matter there would be no Byrdland.
    it’s not that it doesn’t matter but more that it matters for reasons other than the ones being observed in this thread.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris236
    it’s not that it doesn’t matter but more that it matters for reasons other than the ones being observed in this thread.
    I guess you're referring to the tonal qualities associated with shorter necks, usually darker than their larger counterparts, aren't you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pierrot
    I guess you're referring to the tonal qualities associated with shorter necks, usually darker than their larger counterparts, aren't you?
    all the variables add up but - yes. I think the shorter scale lengths are more relevant to sound than playability…..

User Info Menu

The short scale effects playability, alright. There's a reason short people with small hands play short scale guitars. I have long hands and find shorter scale guitars MUCH easier to play rock and blues lead guitar, pentatonics, blues scale etc. Can play faster too. On the flip side I can't play some "jazz chord" voicings as easily on shorter scales. They require my fingers to go into needless contortions, especially as I move up the neck. The Gibson 24.75" scale is as short as I can tolerate, and I like it a lot - for certain things. It's just physics and biology. I'm certain that I'm not alone.

So, different guitars for different purposes - and different people. If you like the Brydland, then like the Byrdland.

User Info Menu

The Byrdland scale is just a normal scale cut off at the first fret. All the rest are identical, just one theoretical fret higher. The distances between the frets on both are the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The Byrdland scale is just a normal scale cut off at the first fret. All the rest are identical, just one theoretical fret higher. The distances between the frets on both are the same.
    This!

People claiming a scale length is too small or big (within reason) just seem a bit naive. Going from playing a 25.5 to 23.3 is a minuscule adjustment and if one is that sensitive to it I’d imagine moving up the range of the neck would be hard for you with any scale length.

User Info Menu

Byrdland scale is my favourite cause of my small hands. I was born at 7th month of my mother's pregnancy and weighed less than 1 Kg (950 grams!) at birth. I tell you, it makes a world of difference, to me, even from 23.50 to 24.75! So 25.50 is out of question, for me (although I did play an Ibanez JP20 for a couple of years which is 25.50).

Byrdland has always been my dream guitar. I've got, finally, a luthier made jazz-guitar with a slim neck and a 23.50 scale length that costed me a third (a bit less, actually) of what a Byrdland costs.

User Info Menu

This!

People claiming a scale length is too small or big (within reason) just seem a bit naive. Going from playing a 25.5 to 23.3 is a minuscule adjustment and if one is that sensitive to it I’d imagine moving up the range of the neck would be hard for you with any scale length.
    I currently own three archtops. One is 24,75, one 25, and the third one is 25,5. I also have a travel guitar with a 23 scale.

I can assure you that after 55 years of guitar (and violin and viola) professional playing, I move up and down the whole range of my necks.
    Though, when going from one guitar to another, I need some time and practice in order to readjust my fingers memory. Call it sensibility, naiveness or whatever you want.

That said, if someone feels no difference between one scale length and another, well, all I can say is congratulations.

User Info Menu

I currently own three archtops. One is 24,75, one 25, and the third one is 25,5. I also have a travel guitar with a 23 scale.

I can assure you that after 55 years of guitar (and violin and viola) professional playing, I move up and down the whole range of my necks.
    Though, when going from one guitar to another, I need some time and practice in order to readjust my fingers memory. Call it sensibility, naiveness or whatever you want.

That said, if someone feels no difference between one scale length and another, well, all I can say is congratulations.
    are you sure it’s the scale length that’s making you feel that playing on a 23.5 scale guitar is impossible above the 10th fret?

User Info Menu

are you sure it’s the scale length that’s making you feel that playing on a 23.5 scale guitar is impossible above the 10th fret?
    I never said that it is impossible.
    And, more importantly, I just wanted to give MY humble opinion, using the formula "I guess", about the op question.
    I have absolutely no interest in argue about something as trivial as a personal feeling when using one scale length or another.

So, once again, congratulations, to you, or to whoever jumps from one scale to another with no effort.

User Info Menu

I never said that it is impossible.
    And, more importantly, I just wanted to give MY humble opinion, using the formula "I guess", about the op question.
    I have absolutely no interest in argue about something as trivial as a personal feeling when using one scale length or another.

So, once again, congratulations, to you, or to whoever jumps from one scale to another with no effort.

No room left for fingers (mine, at least), as soon as you (I) pass tenth fret. I guess this is the main reason for not being a very popular scale length.

User Info Menu

Ok, I feel a little tired now. Maybe you should improve your reading understanding.

Cheers and byebye.
    no hard feelings or big deal, just waxing about why the Byrdland scale length isn’t more popular!

User Info Menu

Best Comment for me is }

”Like trying to take a shower in a bathroom sink!” What a great description, Lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Best Comment for me is }

”Like trying to take a shower in a bathroom sink!” What a great description, Lol!
    funny, yes. Accurate, no.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Normal scale? Same as what, 25.5?

Why would one make the effort to cut off the first fret? What would you suppose the objective was?

User Info Menu

This!

The point being is that it's pointless to have a short scale?

Or iiiiiiiiiis it?

User Info Menu

The point being is that it's pointless to have a short scale?

Or iiiiiiiiiis it?
    I own a Byrdland, like a few others in this thread, and am mostly speaking to the idea that the slightly shorter scale length feels cramped. I just think there’s a fair bit of misinformation out there.

User Info Menu

Normal scale? Same as what, 25.5?

Why would one make the effort to cut off the first fret? What would you suppose the objective was?
    he is explaining that that would bring the scale length pretty close to the guitar in question. So the idea that you’re ‘cramped’ somehow doesn’t make much sense.

User Info Menu

I have made several guitars with a 1-11/16” nut, 2-1/16” spread at the bridge and a 24” scale. I don’t think anyone has ever said it feels “cramped”.

How did I get a 24” before CNC? By cutting one fret off a standard Fender fretboard. Few people even noticed.

I suspect that if the Byrdland feels cramped to you it is likely more a function of a narrow neck than scale length.

As to why? Mostly to shift the bridge to a more optimal spot on a smaller acoustic guitar. A bonus was that I could get the warmth and sustain of heavier strings without compromising comfort.

That said, playing guitar is complex task, and your brain makes weird choices. Same reason red guitars are actually, demonstrably louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I have made several guitars with a 1-11/16” nut, 2-1/16” spread at the bridge and a 24” scale. I don’t think anyone has ever said it feels “cramped”.

How did I get a 24” before CNC? By cutting one fret off a standard Fender fretboard. Few people even noticed.

I suspect that if the Byrdland feels cramped to you it is likely more a function of a narrow neck than scale length.

As to why? Mostly to shift the bridge to a more optimal spot on a smaller acoustic guitar. A bonus was that I could get the warmth and sustain of heavier strings without compromising comfort.

That said, playing guitar is complex task, and your brain makes weird choices. Same reason red guitars are actually, demonstrably louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    im gonna go out on a limb and say most who are claiming cramp-ed-ness are actually responding to other stimuli on the instrument they experienced the shorter scale length on.

User Info Menu

Have you ever tried taking a shower in a kitchen sink? I have, and owned two lovely Byrdlands as well, Lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Have you ever tried taking a shower in a kitchen sink? I have, and owned two lovely Byrdlands as well, Lol!
    ?!?

it took you 2 to figure out you didn’t like the scale length? Were you in the sink while playing by any chance?!?

User Info Menu

im gonna go out on a limb and say most who are claiming cramp-ed-ness are actually responding to other stimuli on the instrument they experienced the shorter scale length on.
    Not me. I have several high-A 7-strings with short scales and generous string spacing, and do not feel cramped below about the 14th fret. I had a 6-string Byrdland with a similar short scale but narrow nut and felt cramped nearly everywhere on the neck. I play fingerstyle a lot, which probably contributed to that awkwardness.

User Info Menu

I like 1 5/8th although I’m not picky. As you get closer to the bridge it all evens out anyway!

User Info Menu

Well we all have a guitar and an opinion, but that doesn't change physics.

The standard scale length is 25.5. People make, and people want shorter and/or short scale guitars for particular reasons, it's not by accident. Most want them because of ease of playing due to hand size, others want them because of big string bends, others want them for stretchy chord voicings. (even some classical guitars have gone all Johnny Smith, hehe)

Was there was a comment above about being too sensitive or something like that? It's a $10K musical instrument, with which we play refined music, and "our tone comes from our hands" etc., etc. So yeah, sensitivity applies. It's not a ball-peen hammer or baseball bat, is it?

You could tell me that the relatively cramped cockpit of a Porsche 911 is just my imagination too, and if I believed you I'd have one. I really tried to like it but it's just to darned cramped for me, so I opted for something else.