The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15
    I have two Es-175s from 1978 one has a tune o matic bridge (blonde) the other the traditional wooden bridge (sunburst). Both are dated on the same day. Is it usual to have different bridges in the same model, year and day? Any experiences and comments are welcome.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As for 1978 ES 175 instruments, I believe they came with TOM bridges from the factory back then. I don't know if you could order them with wood tops. It has nothing to do with blonde vs. sunburst instruments. But it's not at all uncommon for users to swap bridges on archtops. I have done it myself several times. It's easy to do on 175's (and other archtops). With the standard Gibson post spread, there are many bridge tops out there, both TOM types and wood (rosewood and ebony) that fits the factory original bridge base without modification.

User Info Menu

The ES-175 shipped with a wooden bridge saddle until 1976 when a TOM replaced the (more costly to produce) wooden saddle. Guys like me retrofit wooded bridge saddles to later 175's and many retrofit a TOM to earlier models. It is all about what you like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1600Productions
    I have two Es-175s from 1978 one has a tune o matic bridge (blonde) the other the traditional wooden bridge (sunburst). Both are dated on the same day. Is it usual to have different bridges in the same model, year and day? Any experiences and comments are welcome.

User Info Menu

Since the saddle and bridge are not permanently attached to each other, and neither is attached to the guitar, it will be difficult to know how those guitars were originally sold. The original bridge, saddle, or both could have been swapped even by the dealer before sale.

Thanks for sharing your insights, very helpful.

I think I will keep both guitars “as is” to see if the TOM or wood bridge have different tonal or sound qualities.

Thanks for the great responses. Should the TOM for a 1978 Es-175 have Gibson printed on the bottom? I have seen a made in germany model and wonder if that is original.

User Info Menu

A TOM bridge on my 2014 VOS made all the difference for me, vs the stock rosewood bridge (which my setter pup promptly made tinder of, when he found it on my desk.) All the clarity, sustain and overtones I was looking for, nearly identical to the classic Metheny 175 tone. The wooden bridge makes it a different beast, for sure.

Should the TOM for a 1978 Es-175 have Gibson printed on the bottom? I have one a made in germany model and wonder if that is original.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-175 Bridge Types-de452ab3-7bad-4946-8a00-e790c9b93ad4-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1600Productions
    Should the TOM for a 1978 Es-175 have Gibson printed on the bottom? I have one a made in germany model and wonder if that is original.
    I believe it is original. My 1984 had one MIG bridge too, with some suspicious looking brass plugs. I changed to an ebony bridge and have not looked back.

Gibson ES-175 Bridge Types-a2a55c17-e1b1-4f1d-bdc3-0df9c4d9f552-jpg

In june I had a gig. I have five amps and wondered which one to take with me. I tested all with that 1984 ES-175 with that stock bridge. All amps sounded sterile and dull. I got a bit worried. But then for some reason I changed that TOM bridge to an ebony one and voila – every amp sounded like heaven!

User Info Menu

Schaller supplied all sorts of German-made hardware to Gibson from a few decades, until Schaller Jr. drove his Porsche into a wall, leaving his 84-year-old mother to run the joint into the ground. Shortly thereafter, Gibson USA started to buy most of its metal bridges, tuners and a few other bits from Ping in China. The Schaller bridges are always marked as "Made in Germany"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Schaller supplied all sorts of German-made hardware to Gibson from a few decades, until Schaller Jr. drove his Porsche into a wall, leaving his 84-year-old mother to run the joint into the ground. Shortly thereafter, Gibson USA started to buy most of its metal bridges, tuners and a few other bits from Ping in China. The Schaller bridges are always marked as "Made in Germany"
    Wow, interesting, and sad in a way. Wikipedia dates this this way:

”(…) Helmut Schaller and his son René Schaller died (in 1999 resp. in 1998).”

Does this mean that most of the Gibson hardware in 2000s is made in China?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Wow, interesting, and sad in a way. Wikipedia dates this this way:
    ”(…) Helmut Schaller and his son René Schaller died (in 1999 resp. in 1998).”
    Does this mean that most of the Gibson hardware in 2000s is made in China?
    Yes, Most Gibson USA hardware has been made in China for many years. Some of it is also supplied by Advance Plating, who make the L-5 tailpieces and various other bits. Gibson Custom Shop hardware has been sourced from various other makers. Unfortunately, Gotoh hardware (particularly tuners, which are superior to those of most of the other makers) has largely been displaced over time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yes, Most Gibson USA hardware has been made in China for many years. Some of it is also supplied by Advance Plating, who make the L-5 tailpieces and various other bits. Gibson Custom Shop hardware has been sourced from various other makers. Unfortunately, Gotoh hardware (particularly tuners, which are superior to those of most of the other makers) has largely been displaced over time.
    I have to say that after three decades and tens on Gibsons – mostly Les Pauls and some ES-175s – this fact makes me a bit confused. I don’t know what to think.

Anyway now I know why every LP have sounded better after I have substituted the stock bridge to the ABM bridge – Made In Germany!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    … suspicious looking brass plugs…

Gibson ES-175 Bridge Types-a2a55c17-e1b1-4f1d-bdc3-0df9c4d9f552-jpg
    Stock Gibson brass spacers. Gibson has used these on (some? most? of) its wood archtop bridges since the 1930s.