The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 127

User Info Menu

On Dec 16, I requested a public update on the Quilter Guitar Amplifier Owners' FB pages. After all, the cargo, once finally in the hands of Quilter Labs, must be sorted, tested (after such a long exposure to whatever atmospheric condition inside the container) and re-shipped to US resellers and the rest of the world. All this in conditions of the holiday season parcel glut, ongoing container, handler and trucker shortage, still substantially reduced air cargo capacity, re-tightening Covid restrictions etc. etc. No-one's envying Quilter, and no-one should put the blame on them. Yet, clamshelling isn't the road to favorability. All their FB moderator Christopher Parks said was: "Sorry mate. We are truly at the mercy of the logjam." I'm afraid there's thousands of "mates" out there, including quite a few frustrated Toob and Metro buyers. I got my pair of SuperBlocks in April and feel almost guilty (Quilty?) about them.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 12-21-2021 at 03:38 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If the pandemic has taught me anything it’s patience.

User Info Menu

Apparently no one can get PlayStations either

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    TBH ... I wouldn't mind paying a scalper double price to get a SB during the hollidays
    Well, I'm not going to be doing much playing for the immediate, so I can wait.... (kids + Omicron)

User Info Menu

I'm reading the Chinese use PS5 for mining, so.. bad news for gamers..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    TBH ... I wouldn't mind paying a scalper double price to get a SB during the hollidays
    Careful: there have been some for sale on Reverb for close to double the retail price! The sharks are swimmin'!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    After all, the cargo, once finally in the hands of Quilter Labs, must be sorted, tested (after such a long exposure to whatever atmospheric condition inside the container).
    I’ve thought about this several times since September. Being at sea (even 100 yards offshore) for many weeks can’t be good for any item subject to salt corrosion, oxidation etc. I strongly doubt that those shipping containers are hermetically sealed and contain gigantic silica gel packs. I’ve considered canceling my order because of this. If damaged internally, premature failure is the most likely end result, with no way to predict it.

Quilter may be making a mistake by delivering this shipment, and I fear that we may be making a mistake by accepting units from it.

User Info Menu

How about a rare Pollyanna jk statement to brighten your wait?

You do realize these new class D Mini amps all use the two or three chip forge amp chips out there on the market? (Several huge and boutique builders not only do that but all use the (truly great) ICEPower class D amp boards). Quilter as I understand does not.

IF someone has one, open it up and get the IC chip numbers. We can look them up and figure their tolerance to temp and humidity. I have the feeling… unless Quilter really went low market with their parts (which I doubt) that there’s not much electronics/technical to be concerned about. Most if not all that stuff now is pretty much hermetically sealed like the chips; the caps and resistors are surface mount devices and they’re sealed too.
    These things sure ain’t no hand wired Princeton Reverb, which yes I’d be worrying about.

jk the recent TB200 convert and now zealot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    How about a rare Pollyanna jk statement to brighten your wait?

You do realize these new class D Mini amps all use the two or three chip forge amp chips out there on the market? (Several huge and boutique builders not only do that but all use the (truly great) ICEPower class D amp boards). Quilter as I understand does not.

IF someone has one, open it up and get the IC chip numbers. We can look them up and figure their tolerance to temp and humidity. I have the feeling… unless Quilter really went low market with their parts (which I doubt) that there’s not much electronics/technical to be concerned about. Most if not all that stuff now is pretty much hermetically sealed like the chips; the caps and resistors are surface mount devices and they’re sealed too.
    These things sure ain’t no hand wired Princeton Reverb, which yes I’d be worrying about.
    That’s the reason I haven’t canceled my order, jk. I do worry a bit about the few mechanical parts, like pots and connectors. But corrosion in the contacts etc would already be there after 3 months of salt air exposure and will show itself as noise or intermittency. I can return it if it’s not perfect, so it’s not a huge risk. But this may color general acceptance of Superblocks from now on out of fear of getting a “bad one”.

Quilter might do well to embargo the shipment(s) that have been delayed at sea and offer an incentive to those with backorders on them to order another model. Or they could come out with Megablock at or close to the same MSRP to obviate everybody’s worries. If they totally ignore this issue, it may well come back to bite them on the effects loop.

Pollyanna’s the perfect icon for Quilters - many of their models are orphans too. I didn’t know that you and Polly were friends, but I’m glad some of her optimism rubbed off on you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit

On the bright side, Quilter announced that they now sell a beanie (actually a watch cap in the picture, but I won’t quibble because I want my Superblock).
    Hmmm... Put on the beanie and you'll blend in on the docks ... and you can find out what the latest news is!

User Info Menu

I’m bi attitudinal:
    Either Pollyanna or Debbie downer doubter. With He/Him meaning of course.
    Interesting theres no male equivalent names i can think of hearing for that purpose. Clearly discrimination of some sort.

Quilter amps sitting out there are just a tiny percentage of stuff … cars? Airplane parts? They put un cured tired on ships in Korea and Japan and depend on the sea air for final cure. I read about a bourbon last night where they take it to sea for 12 months for salt air aging. Seriously!

So you’ll not have to worry about any rubber parts i suppose)

User Info Menu

Fired my Superblock US up for the first time today. First impressions are very positive. Not worried about it being at sea for longer than usual - if that even happened - as everything wrapped in plastic and sealed etc.

Running it through an ear candy cabinet with an 8 inch Eminence beta.

Two month wait. No big deal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Fired my Superblock US up for the first time today. First impressions are very positive. Not worried about it being at sea for longer than usual - if that even happened - as everything wrapped in plastic and sealed etc.

Running it through an ear candy cabinet with an 8 inch Eminence beta.

Two month wait. No big deal
    Is that my old cab?

User Info Menu

I don’t think so. I recall your selling your cab when you left Nanaimo but I bought this a couple of years later from someone in the US.

User Info Menu

Thomann says 1-2 weeks.

I will believe it when I see it haha.

User Info Menu

I don’t think so. I recall your selling your cab when you left Nanaimo but I bought this a couple of years later from someone in the US.
    I ask because I installed an Eminence Beta (I think. It could have been an Alpha) in mine, replacing a ludicrously bad home stereo speaker. Ear Candy is a company with an interesting story. Really good cabinets but he seemed to lack the business skills to make a go of it and then he hit the really unfortunate stage where was accused of several shady business practices. I had both the 8 and the 10 inch versions of his cabs and I really liked both (once the 8 had the proper speaker in it). I really wish he had been able to make a go of it.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 02-03-2022 at 10:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Ear Candy is a company with an interesting story. Really good cabinets... I really wish he had been able to make a go of it.
    I thought they were still in business, so I just checked their website and it's dated 2022 (!). The alert that opens over the landing page does suggest that getting product is currently not possible. And the fact that every cab model shown in their "currently available for shipping" list is also marked "sold". But it does appear that the business is still breathing. Whether it's on life support is not clear.

Here's what it says in the latest part I could find:

"We are open from 10am ~ 5pm, Monday - Thursday. Friday is 9am ~ 4pm, CST. Our phone number is currently unavailable. Please use the form below and Charlotte will get back in touch with you with in 1 business day. We understand that we are behind and we know this is inconvenient. However, any profane, rude, nasty or hateful E-mails will not be responded to. PLEASE Do NOT call our old 219 252 7342, it is no longer an EarCandy number."

User Info Menu

It's possible for a website to be working even though the owner is dead. Ralph Patt's site is still available (thankfully) although he passed several years ago. I have no idea who is paying for the site now. I think it was once possible to buy a long-term lease for a reasonable cost. I've heard too many bad things about Ear Candy to even consider buying anything from them, but used is probably a worthwhile option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It's possible for a website to be working even though the owner is dead.
    That's certainly true. But if you view the source code by right clicking the page, there are 2021 and 2022 entries in the code. So either it was coded with these years in it before the business went belly up or it's being maintained by someone. No one updates a website unless they're either maintaining it themselves or getting paid to do so.

I agree with the admonition to shop elsewhere. When makers like RevSound can deliver such great light cabinets at fair prices in reasonable time, I see no reason to take a chance even if EC is still in business.

User Info Menu

Jim Soloway: did you like the EC with the 8” Eminence?

Second impression: after fiddling with the EQ setting, I came up with a very nice sound on my Vintera Tele. I’m really pleased with this amp.
    Last edited by Bach5G; 02-03-2022 at 06:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Jim Soloway: did you like the EC with the 8” Eminence?

Second impression: after fiddling with the EQ setting, I came up with a very nice sound on my Vintera Tele. I’m really pleased with this amp.
    I did. It filled a small room very nicely. It spread the sound really well.

As for the present activities of Earcandy, I honestly have no clue. I am probably assuming way too much based on very old information.

User Info Menu

[Not to derail the thread any more, but please do NOT give EarCandy your money! Yes, I have personal experience with their cabs, and with their problems. If you can find a used one in good condition, though, certainly consider it as an option.]

User Info Menu

Mine has just been shipped from Thomann! Too bad I am away for the next couple of weeks.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

After a few days, I’m very happy with this amp. Sounds great through the EC. My only concern is how it might hold up in a big band but I don’t see having a chance to do that anytime soon (COVID restrictions on large indoor gatherings).

Any thoughts on a padded case for it?

User Info Menu

Any thoughts on a padded case for it?
    Khanka makes a huge assortment of small tough cases. I have one for my TASCAM recorder and accessories and I love it. When my Superblock was on backorder for a few months, I was planning to buy this one on Amazon: Khanka Hard Case Replacement for DEWALT 20V MAX XR Palm Sander Electric Sander Sheet, Variable Speed, 1/4-Inch, Orbital (DCW200B / DWE6411 / DWE6421).

The Quilter Superblock USA-khanka_pedal_case-jpg
    It's 11" x 8" x 5" and the SB is 10 3/4" x 6 1/4" x 2 1/2", so it's a fine fit. If the PS is the same one that came with my Microblock (which it seems to be, based on the specs), the PS and power cable will both fit in the extra 2 1/2" of headroom. I was planning to cut a thin sheet of foam to sit on the SB, and set the PS and cable on that. Amazon seems to carry their entire line.