The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

Couldn't figure out which subgroup to post this in, so it's here for now.

Are you folks still using CDs? Or have you gone totally digital? Or a mix? I'm still a CD user, I have over 200. I still like the convenience of grabbing one when I want to listen to it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have probably 500 CDs and I have gone digital.

Ironically, for the same reason. I subscribe to YouTube Music and I enjoy the convenience of finding what I want to listen to in seconds.

I also use it to make my own playlists. I have built a Jim Hall playlist with 12 hours of songs. Peter Bernstein, 13 hours. 10 hours of various guitar trio recordings. On and on…

When I’m studying a song for a jazz workshop I joined, I curate many examples of that song as a playlist. I’ve also freely shared links to my song lists with others in the same group.

I’m continually surprised with new discoveries I make: new releases I read about in Down Beat, artists I hadn’t heard before, artists that played on an album I never knew about…YouTube Music also lets you add videos to playlists. Sometimes the sound quality isn’t good, sometimes it is. I don’t watch the videos in my playlists, I just listen, but it greatly expands my options to listen to the artist I want to listen to.

In my office I listen on an iPad plugged into a stereo. In my car I listen to songs on my iPhone over Bluetooth. At home I listen either on earphones or over speakers via Bluetooth. On a plane I listen with earplugs.

Not going back…

cheers,
    Jon

P.S.: I have a CD collection for sale.

User Info Menu

CDs for home and car listening.

User Info Menu

Still with physical sound medium - CDs and the vinyl I still have. I will occasionally use Spotify or Youtube to listen to a specific track that's not in my library but I don't use either or any other streaming service to listen to music.

User Info Menu

"CDs or digital"? What do you think CDs are, exactly? They're digital. But I guess I understand what you're getting at.

I still have a bunch of CDs (6 1.5 ft^3 boxes' worth), but I almost never use them. I've ripped the ones I want to listen to onto my computer ("digital", in the OP's terminology). I buy new music electronically ("digitally") if it's available as FLAC, otherwise I'll get a CD and rip it. If I don't particularly care about the quality of the recording, as with most pop music, I sometimes will download an MP3.

I suppose I should cull the CDs I never listen to and get rid of them, and keep only the ones I've ripped. But that's a future project.

[Can I hear the difference between FLAC and MP3? Who knows? But I'm enough of a snob to want the lossless recording.]

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    "CDs or digital"? What do you think CDs are, exactly? They're digital. But I guess I understand what you're getting at.
    As my father used to say to me when I criticized his verbage, "Well you knew what I meant, didn't you???"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    As my father used to say to me when I criticized his verbage, "Well you knew what I meant, didn't you???"
    As you might expect from a contrary old coot like myself, I wouldn't agree with your father. Language should be used as precisely and accurately as possible. Saves time, helps avoid mistakes. I'm sure I violate my own position frequently, but I try to be precise.

User Info Menu

I use a cloud service from Apple called iMatch which works through iTunes and eventually will work through Apple Music, so I'm told. There were talks about iTunes going away but I still have it and updates have continued. For the life of me I can't always figure what Apple is doing and how some things work and some things don't.

I have my entire library loaded to the cloud and can play it anywhere via my pc at home, my pc at work, my work laptop, my car stereo, my iPhone, or my iPad. Maybe not ultra high quality sound but hella convenient. I have ripped all my CDs into iTunes and when I get more I rip them. I have something like 30,000 songs on it now. Ultimately I would like to have all my CDs in racks in front of me but what I have now works pretty well. I just hope that Apple doesn't F it up someday.

User Info Menu

What's a CD?

iPhone with good-quality headphones is hard to beat, though my small vinyl collection through a good stereo unit is better, but only just.

User Info Menu

I'm still on CDs - although when I go to hospital for my weekly chemo I sometimes create a play list. However with 1500+CDs it's too much hassle to create play lists every time I go on a car journey of 3 or 4 hours so at the moment it's still CDs there. I am waiting delivery on my new mercedes benz, and it is NOT possible to have it delivered with a CD system and I'm supposed to swipe away on a large touch screen to make my selections - not particulary safe driving practives IMHO. I'l probably buy an external CD player and plug it into the media system via a USB port.
    At home with headphones I can hear a distinct difference between mp3 and CD (more compression and less dynamics on mp3 particularly with classical music or Joe Pass playing solo) - in the car I'm not sure that I would be able to say the same, given the addditional ambient background noises.

User Info Menu

I ripped all my CDs to FLACs about 10 years ago. I still buy some, and I rip each one as soon as I open it. I’m up to about 1500 now, and they’re on a NAS with cloud backup. I gave the CDs to my son because he wasn’t set up to stream the FLACs from my server until recently. He likes having the CDs on his library shelves, and I’m glad they’re out of our place. But he now listens to the same FLACs I do.

I’ve also ripped about 50 of my 2000 or so vinyl albums. It’s too much work to justify for anything I can get as a hi quality digital file, so I only do the ones that I can’t buy or stream for general listening. I’m also ripping the old and/or rare ones that can’t be easily replaced if damaged or destroyed.

When I’m in the mood for the vinyl experience, I pull out a record, savor the cover art and notes, sit down with a wee bit of Scotch, and enjoy it from the needle drop to the runout groove. But 95% of my listening is streaming from my own files, Spotify, or Amazon Music.

User Info Menu

I still use CDs for uncompressed listening. I also like liner notes. There's often a story that's nice to know about, it makes the experience more complete.

User Info Menu

CD's mostly. I also have a lot of vinyl and even some cassettes. I also have a bunch of digital albums that I have collected, but of the 4 mediums that I own, CD's are my preferred choice.

In all mediums, I have over 3000 albums. I listen to one or two everyday and even more if I am driving, but there are probably a few that I may never hear again. And with that said, I am still adding to the collection every year.

User Info Menu

Spotify is running when I'm on the computer (surfing on JGO forum)
    iPod in the car (CD players are no longer available in cars)
    CDs on the stereo system for good sound experience
    LPs for the remembering of these good ol'times when we spent hours in music stores after school !
    I still buy CDs, but it's more and more difficult as all the shops died one after the other (Thanks a lot, Mr Bezos, and go to heaven and beyond in your rocket !)

User Info Menu

I'm a compulsive collector. That said, I have about 250 recordings of Jazz guitar, split pretty equally between LP and CD, and maybe a few more than that of Classical Guitar, including some fairly rare classical LPs. All told, I probably have over 1,000 of each CD and LP, all different genres. I did spend 15 years managing a record shop, so many were promos and I took advantage of a substantial discount. I don't buy too much anymore, unless it's something I run across that's O/P or an artist I really like. I do have a Spotify account, at least in part because my daughter wanted it, and I use that to listen to things that I might not want to add to my already unwieldy collection. I am, however, slowly cutting down the numbers and donating LPs to a friend who runs one of the local surviving record stores.

User Info Menu

My whole collection is digitized to mp3. Even though I have 5 backups on usb drives, I keep my CD's... Maybe in case we get EMP'd? :-)

I was going to the library to listen to CD's in their VAST collection and found after listening to many, that Windows was automatically ripping them as I listened.

User Info Menu

Still in the stone age (maybe 1200 jazz lps and a few hundred cd's)
    But I'm cool being a caveman

User Info Menu

What I miss is the record store. I am being serious when I say I got more of an education about music, the music world, the history, apocrypha and human vibe of the music, not to mention an amazing storehouse of musical performances and historical connection from my time spent in the record shop.
    One knowledgeable salesman, ("Oh nice record. Have you heard the other one this group did? Even hotter!"). All the years in music school, I drew upon more wisdom and source information from my liner notes than the books I went broke buying.
    I am sure that when we look back, the loss of the well stocked used record store will be seen as a blow in the strength of musical history the average listener has.

User Info Menu

I'm mostly digital now. I've ripped nearly all my CDs to mp3.
    My car still has a tape player so I have a decent collection of cassettes solely for when I'm driving around.
    I still think vinyl though a good HiFi gives the best listening experience, it feels like the band is actually in the room.

User Info Menu

Despite having had an Apple Music subscription for several years, I paid $20 for Kenny Burrell’s Midnight Blue on vinyl a couple weeks ago. I think vinyl is kind of ridiculous for several reasons, but still cannot resist the temptation every so often. I’m kind of ridiculous, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    What I miss is the record store...
    I hear ya. I have never had the same feeling going to any other kind of store. Guitar and book stores maybe a little close, but nothing beat perusing through records.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    What I miss is the record store. I am being serious when I say I got more of an education about music, the music world, the history, apocrypha and human vibe of the music, not to mention an amazing storehouse of musical performances and historical connection from my time spent in the record shop.
    One knowledgeable salesman, ("Oh nice record. Have you heard the other one this group did? Even hotter!"). All the years in music school, I drew upon more wisdom and source information from my liner notes than the books I went broke buying.
    I am sure that when we look back, the loss of the well stocked used record store will be seen as a blow in the strength of musical history the average listener has.
    Nice! I love liner notes!

I was just visiting a college town with my daughter last weekend, and came upon a record store! Small, but cool. I found Herbie's "Head Hunters" album on vinyl, picked it up, and said, "Cool!" The clerk said, "Yeah, but I like 'Thrust' better." "I love you," I told him.

User Info Menu

I'm lucky - we have a great local record store. The owner is a jazz lover. He actually used to book bands, at one stage he booked the Great Guitars to play here... the line-up at that time was Barney Kessel, Charlie Byrd and Herb Ellis.
    He often finds album that I might like, of players I mightn't have discovered otherwise.

User Info Menu

I own about 1000 LPs and probably an equal amount of CDs. Like a lot of others, I like the physical aspect of the LP/CD and checking out the liner notes. I still buy both LPs and CDs and while I do buy ripped/streamed music, I generally only do it if I want to learn/listen to a song version that is out of print and I can't buy it on physical media. I just don't find streaming music as satisfying.
    Since my daily driver is a 15 year old Toyota Tundra which has not only a CD player but a cassette deck as well, I have the center console filled with CDs. Today on my runs to the feed store and grocery store I cranked up Maynard Ferguson's "Live at Jimmy's". Something I hadn't really appreciated when it came out. Great band.
    Last edited by rob taft; 07-24-2021 at 11:01 PM.

A friend of mine just bought a nice pontoon boat. Before we left for a ride on Chautauqua Lake, he said "lets grab a bunch of CDs." I asked him if he had a CD boombox or something. He said "you'll see." I was surprised to see built into the dash an AM/FM/CD player. Four speakers built into the boat, awesome sound. So you can get one in your boat, but not in your car. Go figure.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 07-23-2021 at 07:01 AM.