The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Sorry but many events that are popular also sell out Madison Square garden. Just like McDonald's selling billions of hamburgers, does it automatically then become
    great? Selling to large audiences is more akin to entertainment value than actual musical talent.

The music student observation is spot on in my book. There were very few music schools for guitarists and even Jazz musicians. The newer players sound like technical excercises as opposed to actual songs.
    You learned as an apprentice on the gig, and if you didn't you were fired. In fairness there were many more gigs available that actually paid as well. Not great money but survivable.
    And those acts and McDonald’s have billions of dollars on marketing. And the acts generally don’t last unless they have quality. I’m sure I wouldn’t like many of the acts that play MSG. But that doesn’t mean they’re not good.

And are you really disparaging education? Sure there are lots of guitar schools. And yes a lot of them are not great. But if you go to a good one you can save five or six years of learning on the job. There is no substitute for learning on the job. But you can speed your process up by learning theory and technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cory Wang is a new name for me. This guy is obviously hugely talented, and his band is very entertaining and seemingly popular with a hip, knowledgable audience.
    Hooray for musical education in all its forms!

User Info Menu

Music is for everyone who cares to listen.

Vulfpeck filled Madison Square Garden with music students. I seem to recall they had some audience participation about keys, or something else the average audience would not comprehend.

Some of the best music has been made by art students.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hey, if a band can get a crowd at MSG to vocalize an instrumental, funky-fusiony head with them, then there's hope for the future!

I daresay that’s because most Vulfpeck fans are musicians?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Music is for everyone who cares to listen.

Vulfpeck filled Madison Square Garden with music students. I seem to recall they had some audience participation about keys, or something else the average audience would not comprehend.

Some of the best music has been made by art students.
    Ha didn’t read your post

music students have a tendency towards pastiche; making music that sounds like music, to paraphrase Miles. They are appreciative of craft. Art students (or dropouts) often have a wider understanding even where their craft isn’t the best or push musos towards doing weird shit I suppose…

Mostly I run to Vulfpeck.

My favourite bit of the MSG concert is in Majorie, My First Car where Joe Dart slams on the brakes after the percussion solo and the whole tune has sped up. Feels like a real human moment. I like that they left it in.

User Info Menu

I'm not interested in this guitar, but I'm sure many people will be and that's great.

I'd call myself a Cory Wong fan, even though some of his solo stuff can feel repetitive at times. Having said that, he is going through an incredibly prolific phase at the moment, both on his own and in collaboration with others, so there is a lot of variety in his output.

Apart from being objectively incorrect, calling him a "YouTube guitarist" with all the connotations that brings is nothing but disrespectful. As others have said, he is a proper touring musician. I saw him in London a couple of years ago, and it was one of the better concerts I've been to in recent years. That wasn't just down to him standing there playing his guitar robotically (which he absolutely didn't), but being a great entertainer who really engages with the crowd.

User Info Menu

As I keep saying Entertainment always sells the show! Unfortunately the magic that used to be the SOUL of music,is basically DEAD!
    And if you can't tell the difference between the artist's who actually had SOUL and the new crop of music salesman. Nothing I present here will change your mind.

So I wish you the best,and enjoy shallow entertainment on your visual device.
    May I suggest Kenny G for your Jazz choice as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by einarcc
    I'm not interested in this guitar, but I'm sure many people will be and that's great.

I'd call myself a Cory Wong fan, even though some of his solo stuff can feel repetitive at times. Having said that, he is going through an incredibly prolific phase at the moment, both on his own and in collaboration with others, so there is a lot of variety in his output.

Apart from being objectively incorrect, calling him a "YouTube guitarist" with all the connotations that brings is nothing but disrespectful. As others have said, he is a proper touring musician. I saw him in London a couple of years ago, and it was one of the better concerts I've been to in recent years. That wasn't just down to him standing there playing his guitar robotically (which he absolutely didn't), but being a great entertainer who really engages with the crowd.
    Well actually playing gigs is just amateurish and old fashioned. The thing is to post on a forum telling everyone how well you play and how much all the young players suck while posting absolutely no playing of any kind.

User Info Menu

As far as the guitar goes I’m quite disappointed there’s more than one pickup and several problematic knobs on it.

Maybe he’s just not as versatile as Mr Dart.

User Info Menu

While I see your valid criticism of my harsh opinions. Just like on gigs in the old days, I always appreciated the people who were plainly spoken in their criticism of my playing.
    I learned nothing from those who were to polite or afraid to speak the truth.
    After all isn't learning the actual goal. I'm not here to add Likes which in turn brings advertisers to Youtubers,LOL !

And no matter what people's opinions are, they are just that. I just find self marketing disingenuous especially when it comes to real talent.
    Just like a Pop Hit if you play it enough people are convinced it's great!
    There's a huge difference between successful entertainers , and musically talented ones.
    And as much as I can appreciate the Wizard of Oz Show, it gets thin without the real deal.

User Info Menu

While I see your valid criticism of my harsh opinions. Just like on gigs in the old days, I always appreciated the people who were plainly spoken in their criticism of my playing.
    I learned nothing from those who were to polite or afraid to speak the truth.
    After all isn't learning the actual goal. I'm not here to add Likes which in turn brings advertisers to Youtubers,LOL !

And no matter what people's opinions are, they are just that. I just find self marketing disingenuous especially when it comes to real talent.
    Just like a Pop Hit if you play it enough people are convinced it's great!
    There's a huge difference between successful entertainers , and musically talented ones.
    And as much as I can appreciate the Wizard of Oz Show, it gets thin without the real deal.
    Maybe you should contact Cory directly with your feedback then.

I’m not really that into Vulfpeck, lol. It’s just that nothing makes me want to like them more than a post by jads57.

User Info Menu

As I've said everyone is entitled to their opinions, wether or not you like mine or not is entirely up to you.
    And as you can tell,I certainly am not trying to find friends with mine,LOL !

User Info Menu

As I keep saying Entertainment always sells the show! Unfortunately the magic that used to be the SOUL of music,is basically DEAD!
    And if you can't tell the difference between the artist's who actually had SOUL and the new crop of music salesman. Nothing I present here will change your mind.

So I wish you the best,and enjoy shallow entertainment on your visual device.
    May I suggest Kenny G for your Jazz choice as well.
    If this was directed at my post (which I'm not sure it was) you've completely misconstrued what I said and then proceeded to argue with a straw man.

User Info Menu

So many hateboys hanging on a jazz forum, and here’s your chance to write nonsense about a hugely talented player. Go, go, go!

User Info Menu

As I've said everyone is entitled to their opinions, wether or not you like mine or not is entirely up to you.
    So, you are looking for attention?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by einarcc

User Info Menu

It’s ok. We’re still friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

By the Way Cory has a podcast called Wong Notes...fantastic guitar geek-ery abounds

John Scofield | Wong Notes | Podcasts on Audible | Audible.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    So, you are looking for attention?
    It’s a tedious posting style, isn’t it? “As I’ve said....” ..... “I keep saying.....”.

User Info Menu

to add something of value for a change (), i'm not feeling the transparent finish. i guess he wore his down to where it looks opaque, but that looks a million times better. i don't know why it bugs me, but opaque is the way to go. and tends to be with fenders.

User Info Menu

"The Sapphire Blue transparent satin lacquer finish recreates the look and feel of Cory's beloved original Strat guitar, while the scaled-down alder body – slightly smaller than a typical Stratocaster – combined with a modern "D" neck and sculpted body contours deliver a sublimely comfortable playing experience."

It is a boomer guitar in disguise.

User Info Menu

I'm always impressed with Cory and the general Vulfpeck/Fearless Flyers circle of musicians playing even if it often sounds like a band where the singer or lead instrumentalist didn't show up and they decided to go ahead and record the album anyway. I love that take of Dean Town from MSG, and yes it's obvious the place is packed with music majors geeking out, but so what.

Cory seems to have codified and quantized the Niles Rodgers thing perhaps to the point of sterility, but it's impressive nonetheless and has inspired a lot of people.

As for the "kids these days can't make good music" discussion, anyone making that point isn't listening.

User Info Menu

Give a listen to The Fearless Flyers, with Joe Dart on bass, Nate Smith on drums, Corey Wong and Dave Lettieri on guitars. I find these guys consistently interesting and entertaining...the embodiment of contemporary funk.

It's not Parliament or James Brown, but...it's not supposed to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Cory seems to have codified and quantized the Niles Rodgers thing perhaps to the point of sterility, but it's impressive nonetheless and has inspired a lot of people. .
    Niles is the right reference.
    I think disco is important here, like it or not. During that era, the guitarists used wah-wahs and played percussive parts that added a lot to the overall sound. The guitar was not only played as a percussion instrument (which was not new) but it wasn't buried in the mix.
    In smaller bands with few(er) horns, the guitar became a much more prominent instrument and it would sometimes drive the rhythm rather than supplement it. Clean, syncopated, precise, at times highly aggressive.

That 16th note rhythm stuff is a necessity. It's not necessary to do it all the time but it's necessary to know how to do it because that's the main rhythmic subdivision of the beat in contemporary funk, just as the triplet or eighth note might be in another style. You have to have that down to syncopate it, and the tempo tends to be one suitable for dancing.

Nice mix of notable funk guitar parts from James Brown to Bruno Mars

User Info Menu

I hadn’t realized he had a proper podcast, thought it was that Late Night talkshow spoof he has on YouTube… but found his podcast and it’s golden. The episode with Sco must be the best interview anyone made with Scofield, lots of great questions and relaxed conversation.