The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

I am presently intellectually exploring the reverb pedal field in the event of using an amp w/o reverb. I have used both the spring and the plate that came with my old Cube, and must admit that I cant differentiate between them. I don't want a lot of verb, just a tad to taste. Having had a look at the field of pedals out there I am overwhelmed. I don't want to spend a lot on a pedal but I do want the function, so my question: What are your thoughts? What do you use?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, "overwhelming" is right!

Not sure what is easy to get in Europe or not ... I've enjoyed Catalinbread pedals; if you like Raezer's Edge amps (I do!), they sell a pedal that is the same as the reverb in their amps!

Happy hunting!

Marc

User Info Menu

I know some purists will probably kill me for saying this but I think they all very similar. Today effect technology evolved so much that you can pretty much can get great results from almost any pedal. Especially if you're looking just a small touch of reverb. I think currently the market leaders are the meris mercury, big sky, neunaber immerse and a few others for more ambient tones. Some has more possibilities than others but again, soundwise they all similar. My advice is just find one that looks good and go for it, otherwise you'll be searching and read about it for centuries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I like just a little reverb too, but hate having none. What i dislike about a lot of them is they can rob some of the basic tone and life of the unaffected sound. Had a little T. rex reverb pedal and an expensive sole mate unit and disliked them both for that reason.
    Currently i have a neunaber wet which is quite good but expensive. I have just picked up an inexpensive JHS reverb pedal and it seems quit good too. I like the Raezers edge suggestion too based on listening to the clips (while checking out the Sequel amps but that’s another conversation)

User Info Menu

For years I've used the Strymon Flint, which combines three reverb types (60s spring, 70s plate, 80s room) with three types of tremolo in a quality, easy-to-use pedal. Currently $299USD new.

At lower price points, I would take a look at:

The JHS '3 Series' reverb at $99:
    https://www.prymaxe.com/collections/...s-reverb-pedal

The MXR M300 reverb at $157:
    MXR M300 Digital Reverb Demo

- Prymaxe

User Info Menu

I have the TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb pedal. It's pretty good. About $130.

User Info Menu

I have a Hall Of Fame Mini. I like that I can load a whole bunch of different patches. I can only have one loaded on the pedal at any given time but the different patches can completely change that character of the pedal.

User Info Menu

Just got a Keeley Omni Reverb Pedal. Three basic reverbs: Room, Spring, and Plate, selectable with a toggle switch. Knobs control Dwell and Sustain, which will vary with reverb type. The reverbs themselves are smooth and satisfying, and well worth the time it takes to settle on ideal settings for a given guitar, pickup, and other-pedal combinations. The finessed combos can be quickly reproduced with simple notes. My Spring setting with my PRS CU24 through my Fulltone Full-Drive-2V2 is 2 o'clock on Dwell and 9 o'clock on Level, for example. Easy-peasy. $129 from Sweetwater.

For pre-spring reverbs, I recommend the EL Pescadoro by the Nocturne Brain, which our friend neatomic* turned me on to. Echo chambers, plates, and other sonic hoodoo from studios Famous and Infamous are limned with aplomb and panache, with the bonus of a footswitch-activated Jr. Barnyard pre-amp section for that lovely octal sfumato/chiaroscuro effect. Simply luscious! Not cheap, well worth the dough, though!

* Miss you, amigo!

User Info Menu

Not a reverb maven, but I've used the HOF (v1) for years and have found it versatile and often inspiring.

Want to also add to the other HOF recommendations here:
    - there is a toneprint editor that allows you to roll your own and save it as a preset
    - it is so cool that you can load toneprints by holding your smartphone to the guitar pickup. Don't know if this technology is more ubiquitous these days, but I was amazed when this was first made available.

User Info Menu

Not in production anymore, but it's perfect for me.

User Info Menu

It is difficult to explain but easy to understand with experience... how reverb functions is the only way to understand what type you would want or need. The most important question is, what are you looking to accomplish? In what way do you need to fill out the sound? These questions are very abstract with out the experience and use of many different types and approaches to reverb. I will give you my simple understandings...

spring: when I need a little twang (for jazz I would probably use 1 or 2 springs with not much dwell)

room: when I need a verb that is invisible-ish while being used but noticeable when turned off (just adds a little dimension to the sound)

plate: when I want something to ring with some upper harmonics (I tend to use this the most)

chamber/hall: when I want interesting modulations

however often delay (slap) works better with guitar

I tend to like warmish (lexicon and eventide) over brightish (TC and EHX) verbs... however I am enjoying my Source Audio Ventrius, which I would place in the bright type of verb. In my mind warm equals more smear with the reflections as compared to more separated reflections.

My personal fav for pedals is the eventide space/H9. But it is expensive and complex.

The verb pedal I have disliked the very most was a Fender pedal. For me it sounded horrible.

I have the Source Audio Ventris on my medium sized board (with an H9) and it have been enjoying it. It is very flexible and has a sense of realism the the H9 lacks. It is bit complex but that makes it shapeable.

I just picked up a used Kelley pedal (Cavernous) for around a 100$. I use that as a “I am not bringing a board but need verb” pedal. So far it is working good but, there has been some problems for me. I di not like the modulation at all and I have to dial a sweet spot. Not so flexible but good sounding. I do have to tun it through more uses to see if it will gel with me.

I have had really good experiences with Catalinbread pedals. I would like to check out some of their verb pedal.

User Info Menu

I will have to mention that in my experiences TC Electronic is one of the worst companies to deal with when it come to repair. I have them one my “never by again” list even though I like some of their stuff. When my Nova Delay broke, to fix it was going to cost almost the same price as new, and they wanted me to ship it to Canada. I have delt with a lot of companies for repairs and have never had the same level of problems. Source Audio was excellent. Boss/Roland was a bit more of a pain but still reasonable. Right now I have an Empress Zoia that needs to be fixed. I have to send it in but everything has been flowing smoothly so far. Pedal break and when they are expensive, it is important to be able to get them fixed.

User Info Menu

Alternatives to a digital reverb pedal are analog delay and/or analog chorus pedals. You don’t have to go ham on turning them up to get some depth. I have both the Japanese made Ibañez delay and chorus mini pedals and I like them.

User Info Menu

I use the reverb in the Boss ME80 and a touch more from my Little Jazz. The sound I get is similar to my beloved vintage Ampeg Reverberocket with its original spring reverb. Apparently, I'm not a cork sniffer. I just want it to sound enough "like me" so that I stop thinking about it.

I've heard good sounds from TC and Earthquaker pedals. I think Vic Juris was using an Earthq when I last saw him at the Zinc Bar, and he sounded terrific.

Not a knock on any other pedal.

User Info Menu

I use a Strymon Flint because it's good, simple and I also want a quality tremolo. Too expensive if you're not sure that's exactly what you want though. I've also used the Hall of Fame and it works well as do the Zoom products which are great when you want extra sounds to play with (chorus, delay, tremolo, etc).

Still, if you just want a little reverb, not sure why you need a name brand. I don't have one of these and would question their durability but the reviews indicate that they work fine for $30 (yea.. link text may not work right but link is there).

Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Last edited by Spook410; 07-04-2021 at 12:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I've tried so many. The two pedal reverbs I like best:

Catalinbread Topanga: Spring reverb emulation. Such a good sounding pedal, it hastened the departure of my last outboard reverb unit. (Had 6 or 7 through the years.) I do miss one of those outboard units - the Texotica - but the convenience and tone of the Topanga made the bulkier units dispensable. The only spring reverb type pedal that comes close (for my taste anyway) is the Wampler faux spring, which is excellent too.

OneControl Prussian Blue: A mini pedal. Very small. Not a spring sound per se. More a blend of hall and room reverb with a little spring. I've had some really good reverb pedals of this type, such as the MP silver spring. I was set with that one until the Prussian Blue came along. Not sure how to describe it. Just sounds perfect to me. This is the reverb I always use with archtops.

User Info Menu

I also have a HOF Mini. I like it. I don't know about repair issues, because I've never had any. The things I like about the HOF Mini is that it's small and light, and fits in almost anything. The Toneprint feature is also very nice. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of toneprints available, and it's quick and easy to send a new one to the pedal via my phone. I have a few saved in favorites, for quick access, but all are readily available. It's the only reverb pedal I've ever owned, so I can't do comparisons, but it's better than any built-in amp reverb I've ever tried, including my Vibrolux Reverb.

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Hall of Fame mini. Dunno if mentioned before but it leaves the dry signal completely untouched- not too common. It sounds really good and is plain simple.

User Info Menu

For my non-reverb amps, I’ll use either a Fender Treverb or a Source Audio True Spring (the best digital spring emulation).

But truth be told, I’ve also found that a simple EHX Holy Grail works fine for me for jazz.

User Info Menu

I never really looked hard at reverbs because my amps (Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, TMDR....) always had one that sounded ok to me. When I bought a BAM200 I felt the need for just a touch of reverb to fill out the jazz sound. The solution for me was the Fender Tre-Verb. With 63, 65 and plate there is a wide range of basic sounds, but the ability to balance wet/dry with the blend control makes a massive difference for me, particularly on the plate setting. Additionally it has 3 tremolo settings - opto, bias and harmonic - which I wanted for some numbers. I paid for half of it with a store voucher, which made the price even better.
    Pedals are personal. The Tre-Verb works for me and that's what matters to me.

User Info Menu

My vote for the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, mine died. I used a decent one from EBS until Ray talked me into the Tre-Verb. To quote the great late thinker Jayne Mansfied, "too much of a good thing is simply wonderful." Yet, I find it hard to get just a tad reverb out of that box. The issue became academic when I got my pair of SuperBlocks. The reverb chip Quilter is using is excellent.

User Info Menu

I appreciate your replies, as well as your reflections concerning your personal preferences. This certainly give me something to work on!

User Info Menu

This probably won't be your taste, but I recently got myself one of these:
    Thoughts on reverb pedals-img_20210618_131527-jpg-540x540_q85_autocrop-jpg
    It's a spring reverb which was originally designed to be used with Stereo Systems. It doesn't really sound "nice", but I currently find that trashy Sound extremely inspiring.

User Info Menu

Also check the Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, really nice tones.

User Info Menu

I like my Digitech Polara reverb pedal, but I see that it is discontinued.
    I bought it used at a local shop & it turned out to be great.
    I believe it is basically the same as the older Digitech Hardwire RV-7.

Why not just go see what the local shops or pawn shops have in stock?