The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

..Not affiliated w/ seller etc etc etc....Found the listing really interesting 'til I saw the photo's......and then saw the price.....

....But have to wonder how they fit the p/u, and what it looks like inside......sure hope someone here gives it a look.....

c.1949 Gibson L-7C -"Charlie Christian"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m not sure how it was modified, but in my opinion, this is wildly overpriced. The pickup is pretty valuable and the guitar may very well play well, but it looks like a wreck. Just buy an original ES-150 in nice condition at that price.

User Info Menu

I just can't imagine how good these L-7's would've been / would still be with P-90's.......and of course how nice it'd be that they were even reasonably available now on the used market............

...oh well.....
    Last edited by Dennis D; 07-02-2021 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Nothing like marketing to raise the price on a really good players instrument. Thanks Barney Kessel, LOL !

User Info Menu

I would agree it's overpriced, though perhaps not wildly. After all, it's a retail sale and not a private party sale. The need for the owner to get a reasonable price and for the seller to make sufficient profit to keep the doors open adds to the price tag versus a private sale. And I don't know if archtop.com has done any work on it but of course that is it investment on their part that would need to be recouped.

I don't particularly care for the refinish; in my opinion it would've been better off as a natural rather than the walnut stain. But the instrument itself seems to be in good condition, looks playable as far as one can tell and probably sounds pretty good. It'll have a little more zing and ping than an ES-150 or ES-350 would have due to the carved spruce top versus laminate.

Obviously not a guitar for a collector or someone who highly values maintaining all the original parts and finish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I would agree it's overpriced, though perhaps not wildly. After all, it's a retail sale and not a private party sale. The need for the owner to get a reasonable price and for the seller to make sufficient profit to keep the doors open adds to the price tag versus a private sale. And I don't know if archtop.com has done any work on it but of course that is it investment on their part that would need to be recouped.

I don't particularly care for the refinish; in my opinion it would've been better off as a natural rather than the walnut stain. But the instrument itself seems to be in good condition, looks playable as far as one can tell and probably sounds pretty good. It'll have a little more zing and ping than an ES-150 or ES-350 would have due to the carved spruce top versus laminate.

Obviously not a guitar for a collector or someone who highly values maintaining all the original parts and finish.
    A pre-war ES-150, the one with the CC pickup has a carved top.

I imagine that L-7 with an intact top/without the pickup (top crack and ugly refin) would be very lucky to bring $2000. An original CC pickup isn’t worth $4000, not even close.

User Info Menu

FYI - - ( Per Joe V. )

1. ' It's a player not a museum piece ', and he's said he's already answered other inquiries this morning....
    2. It has had a recent pro refret
    3. Weighs 5#14 oz.
    4. He didn't know who did the p/u install, and didn't say where the endpin jack was, although I asked.......

.......MHO - Even if you could live with the refinish, it's priced as though it's a '50's natural finish.....or to put it another way, if you can't live with the refinish, it's
    ' wrong' by both the cost of refinish and the usual upcharge for natural over burst........too bad......

...again MHO

User Info Menu

One could buy a really nice looking L-7 and a CC pickup, and have a luthier install the pickup for less.

User Info Menu

Again the association with Barney Kessel playing this model with this pickup and it being from the early Gibson Golden Era.

Oh yeah and dealer markup of at least 50% LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Again the association with Barney Kessel playing this model with this pickup and it being from the early Gibson Golden Era.

Oh yeah and dealer markup of at least 50% LOL!
    But Barney’s guitar was an ES-350, as the blurb says.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    One could buy a really nice looking L-7 and a CC pickup, and have a luthier install the pickup for less.

I have a really nice L-7 and asked around, but they won't do any set-in p/u's - - only floaters......

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t recommend it, personally. I like to see acoustic archtops remain acoustic, but there are definitely highly skilled luthiers who would do the job. You might not be able to find one locally though.

User Info Menu

this.
    it's overpriced for sure as are most all the guitars he sells, but someone he usually manages to sell them thanks to his, um, interesting descriptions.

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t recommend it, personally. I like to see acoustic archtops remain acoustic, but there are definitely highly skilled luthiers who would do the job. You might not be able to find one locally though.
    ......any and all names appreciated......

User Info Menu

It had an asking of $3495 a few short years ago when Archtop dot com listed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It had an asking of $3495 a few short years ago when Archtop dot com listed it.
    ....that should be more like it this time around too...........

User Info Menu

Joe V works on commission, mostly, and prices instruments where the seller wants, at least initially. If the seller specifies a minimum price, that's where he lists it. It may or may not sell at that price. It is to his advantage, though, to get the highest price possible. He's running a business, not a charity.

User Info Menu

HOW WOULD BRACING HAVE BEEN MOD'ED ?
    Just a guess...
    Attached Images Attached Images '50's L-7 w/ CC P/U - How Would Bracing Have Been Mod'ed ?-screen-shot-2019-07-03-10-20-24-pm-jpg