The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I thought this was a Benedetto “appreciation” thread.
    Keith
    Thank you to the OP Paulie2 for starting this thread. As far as I can tell from all the responses, floatingpickup (Keith) and I are the only 2 guys out there gigging with a Bob built instrument from his Golden age (IMHO late 80's to Fender deal). Lots of previous owners who didn't bond with their Bravos or sold the carved guitars on for a profit. And like any online forum, some conjecture from folks who never owned or played one. And that is perfectly OK, because it's not like there are a bunch of the instruments available to audition.

I love my 1990 Cremona. As the song goes..."That's All"...

Attachment 83180
    Attached Images Attached Images Benedetto Appreciation thread-dvs-19-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I had the disposable income, I would probably have a carved Benedetto, or something similar. But a Campellone is more than I can afford, so I won't have one in my lifetime. More power to those who do play them, though. If I hit a big lotto before I go, I plan on owning several high-end guitars. It's very difficult to win the lottery without buying a ticket, though.

User Info Menu

I have known Bob and Cindy since the 80's, and Howard not long after that. I even bought a Tal that Bob built for himself from him way back when. I was playing a bob made 7 string in a big band concert and the piece that held the tailpiece to the guitar broke. (I don't know the term, but it is also used on violin and is called 'cercone' strap for something like that?)
    I had bought that Fratello 7 used, Bob gained nothing from this. I called the shop the next day and Cindy and Bob were so upset that had happened that they overnighted a replacement to me at their expense! I was just looking to replace the part...

Later i became more of a customer to Bob after visiting Stroudsberg a couple of times. those of us who frequented the Long Island guitar shows would have gotten a lot of casual time with Bob and Cindy (and the wonderful John + Missy Buscarino as well), let alone the players who performed out at 5 towns et al. Also visited Savannah and continually have found them to be completely gracious with time and advice. My current 7 string Bob made guitars bless me everyday, and are always out, not in a case.

User Info Menu

What about current Benedettos? Do we have to be worried about the company's well-being? I may be totally in the woods, but looking at the serial numbers, the Savannah operation has produced some 1,800 guitars since 2006. Some 120 per year is not a lot compared to Martin's 100,000 flattops annually, but how many L5s and ES-175s has Gibson produced in the same time period? If the breakdown of models sold by Bob's Boutique is representative, carved archtops account for roughly 25% of the production, while the Bravo is by far the most popular design. In reality, I believe that the more expensive models are mostly commissioned and don't necessarily appear on the Boutique's record. Still, assuming an average sales price of 8,000 USD, the company's annual net sales figure lands somewhere around one million per year. Compared to a one-man luthiery, a company with salaried employees faces high overhead costs. I see every hand-carved Benedetto as essential for the survival of the company. Have they done any sensitivity analysis about how many more high-priced units could be sold if the prices of e.g. B-16 and Americana were a little less high? Would their capacity allow that kind of growth, and would quality remain consistently high? All this is pure speculation on my part, but I think Benedetto Guitars has done more than its fair share to keep the American archtop alive.

User Info Menu

Howard Paul sends out emails approximately monthly, and there has been no indication of economic calamity. The pandemic probably hit them rather hard for awhile, but things seem to be back on track. If the listings in Bob's Boutique are an indication, things seem to be healthy. Guitars posted there sell quickly, and that is supposedly just a sideline, where extra guitars are listed. I have no insight at all into the custom side, actually none at all, but I don't see the imminent bankruptcy of Benedetto Guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    My point was that although non Bob Benedetto are fine instruments, they are quite expensive due to brand identity.
    Where as Mark Campellone, Frans Elferink, etc. are solely the luthiers on their builds and quite reasonable for equally fine Archtops.
    Nope, I described why they are more expensive above.

AND - their QC is much better than Gibson's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stringmann
    I have known Bob and Cindy since the 80's, and Howard not long after that. I even bought a Tal that Bob built for himself from him way back when. I was playing a bob made 7 string in a big band concert and the piece that held the tailpiece to the guitar broke. (I don't know the term, but it is also used on violin and is called 'cercone' strap for something like that?)
    I had bought that Fratello 7 used, Bob gained nothing from this. I called the shop the next day and Cindy and Bob were so upset that had happened that they overnighted a replacement to me at their expense! I was just looking to replace the part...

Later i became more of a customer to Bob after visiting Stroudsberg a couple of times. those of us who frequented the Long Island guitar shows would have gotten a lot of casual time with Bob and Cindy (and the wonderful John + Missy Buscarino as well), let alone the players who performed out at 5 towns et al. Also visited Savannah and continually have found them to be completely gracious with time and advice. My current 7 string Bob made guitars bless me everyday, and are always out, not in a case.
    My experience with Bob and Cindy was also very positive. They are very fine people and were a pleasure to deal with, back when it was just a family business. I have very fond memories of the 5 Towns Benedetto and Buscarino Players nights too. Those were really fun times. I talked to Bob recently and they are both doing well and enjoying retirement. Howard is doing a great job of keeping the brand alive and producing quality archtops. I have been a big fan of Benedetto guitars ever since I first saw Bucky Pizzarelli playing one about 30 years ago. Shortly after that, I bought my Fratello, which I still have today. I have played a lot of gigs with that guitar and the playability and sound of it never ceases to amaze me. Although I don’t own a modern Savannah Benedetto, I have played a few and they were also excellent. It’s nice to hear the positive comments in this thread.
    Keith

User Info Menu

BRUNO PLAYS LA CREMONA AZZURRA | Benedetto Guitars

Because of Wes Montgomery my earliest reference for a “jazz guitar” was the Gibson L5. In the 90’s one of my guitar buddies acquired a D’ Angelico Style B and an Excel and I got to play those instruments quite a bit.

In the 2000’s there were many Just Jazz Guitar magazine articles featuring Benedetto guitars in the hands of top-shelf players such as J. Bruno, Howard Alden, Bucky P. that propelled Benedetto into the highest rank of archtop builders. During this time I also got to play many wonderful instruments by talented builders displaying at Healdsburg and other guitar shows. All of this launched my love affair with fine hand-carved archtops.

I contacted Benedetto in the mid 90’s and discussed commissioning a La Venezia model. He noted that if I wanted to proceed I should do so right away because his new price list would be published within a month or two and the prices would increase. I hesitated, and, as he said, a couple months later the price had practically doubled.

Eventually I purchased one of the early Benedetto-Guild Fratello’s that Steve mentioned above. It was a great instrument that I kept for many years. I also recall playing one of the early Benedetto-Guild Artist Awards during that time. It was absolutely exceptional.

Excluding the D’Aquisto Blue Guitar, my favorite of the Blue Guitars commissioned by Chinery was Benedetto’s Cremona Azzura. (I believe it is the guitar being played by Jimmy Bruno in the clip above.) High quality photos of that instrument reveal the genius of Benedetto - an artist’s eye for creativity and style, a musicians ear for a rich balanced voice, and a craftsman’s hands of the highest order.

AKA
    Last edited by AKA; 07-10-2021 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Posted these in the Showcase forum, but I know it’s less frequented than the others so figured I post these here for any Benedetto fans to keep this thread going. Playing my Bravo straight into a DV Mark Little Jazz

Just for information: a few weeks ago I asked about the wait time for a Benny or a Pat Martino. Answers: about 10 or 12 months.

User Info Menu

The Pat Martino model shows up in Bob's Boutique every now and then, but they don't last long. You need to watch it regularly, probably nearly every day, to get a guitar you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The Pat Martino model shows up in Bob's Boutique every now and then, but they don't last long. You need to watch it regularly, probably nearly every day, to get a guitar you want.
    That Walnut Bambino Elite up right now in the boutique is one of the prettiest archtops I have seen in awhile:

Benedetto Appreciation thread-s2803-bambino-elite-walnut-burst-7-scaled-jpg

Benedetto Appreciation thread-s2803-bambino-elite-walnut-burst-01-450x800-jpg

User Info Menu

The Bambino Elite is a very nice guitar, but out of my price range, even if I were in the market. But I enjoy looking.

User Info Menu

All well out of my price range by about 5x, but certainly nice to look at. And well photographed to boot. Obviously there is a market for $16k guitars, so more power to 'em!

User Info Menu

How does you Bravo compare to some of your other high line laminates?

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    I've owned an early 90's Stroudsburg built Benedetto Cremona and Manhatten , and I currently own a Savanagh Bravo and Nashville built Fratello. In my opinion , Bob's golden period is represented by the instruments built in Stroudsburg PA, and his finest licensed instruments were those those built under his " hands on " guidance with Mark Piper and Evan Ellis at the Guild custom shop in Nashville. If I recall, not too many Archtops where made in Nashville, then Mark and Evan were sending parts to Corona, until the Nashville operation was closed down . Bob had a constant presence in Nashville, and much less in Corona according to Mark Piper.

I frequented the Stroudsburg shop many times and witnessed Bob's brilliant fixturing and production process - which was carried over to Nashville according to my conversations with Mark Piper. When Bob was putting together the Savannah shop he wanted Mark and Evan to join him. Evan went on to Savannah and Mark Piper moved to Texas - currently building under the Redentore brand.

Stan Jay had once quoted Bob as stating " No one builds my guitars better than Mark and Evan". I can honestly say that my Nashville Benedetto Fratello is equal to anything I've played in Stroudsburg, and better than my previous Cremona. It is equal to my prior Manhatten in every way - and that was a fantastic guitar. I've also played several Corona Benedettos and found them to be less inspiring , with heavier finishes.

As for market valuation, unfortunately once Bob started the license ventures (and Savannah) his personal built instruments dropped considerably, and have remained that way. The Savannah operation produces some very nice guitars, and according to a recent interview with Howard Paul on YT, the pandemic has increased some demand on his flagship guitars, but I believe it's the Bravo that keeps them in business. As for Bob, he's been retired for a few years.

For those seeking an alternate to a Benedetto Stroudsburg ( or Savannah) build, find yourself a Nashville built Benedetto instead - they are your best value ....you won't be disappointed. Besides that, find a used Stroudsburg build over a new Savannah Flagship build - the later of which are no longer touched by Bob hands.

As for people commenting that Benedettos sound too acoustic.....well that's what they are designed to be " Acoustic Archtop guitars". They do not deliver the tight thumpy flat wound sound of an Ibanez GB , or ES series with chrome 14's - and they don't( need to) sound like a Gibson.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    My Bravo is a very nice guitar with excellent workmanship. But I find my Bory’s B120, Jim Wyble and Trenier Jazz electric to be more sonically alive .The Bravo is a stiffer feel with less sustain, but quite nice plugged in.

Here is a video of Howard playing my Bravo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That’s a very pretty Bravo. Howard is such a good player! I’m amazed at how good today’s laminate guitars can sound by the right maker of course. Thanks for the response.
    My Bravo is a very nice guitar with excellent workmanship. But I find my Bory’s B120, Jim Wyble and Trenier Jazz electric to be more sonically alive .The Bravo is a stiffer feel with less sustain, but quite nice plugged in.

Here is a video of Howard playing my Bravo

User Info Menu

That’s a very pretty Bravo. Howard is such a good player! I’m amazed at how good today’s laminate guitars can sound by the right maker of course. Thanks for the response.
    Thanks Skiboyny ! Your right, Howard is a great player and a very nice guy. The Benedetto Bravo is a well designed laminate guitar - serving the working professional in an amplified setting. It’s Benedetto’s biggest seller. Fit and finish is top notch - and the neck shape is very comfortable.

User Info Menu

Thanks Skiboyny ! Your right, Howard is a great player and a very nice guy. The Benedetto Bravo is a well designed laminate guitar - serving the working professional in an amplified setting. It’s Benedetto’s biggest seller. Fit and finish is top notch - and the neck shape is very comfortable.

I agree, plugged in at a loud club the Bravo works very, very well. Never had an issue with feedback with it, and get compliments on its tone often. It seems to sit very well in a mix on stage. Fit and finish are perfect as you mention.

User Info Menu

So I’m a Big Bambino fan, but I do find Benedetto guitars on the high side of arch tops.And sure the name association I get that to an extent.
    But as a player I could never justify those prices or Gibsons at this time. Especially with luthiers like Mark Campellone, Frans Elferink, and even used guitars by Peter Hopkins, Bill Comins, John Buscarino even at such good prices nowadays.

But if Bob Benedetto can still get enough orders, kudos to him!

User Info Menu

I have recently purchased a Benedetto 16-B that came available in Bob's Boutique. I had never played a Benedetto. I can't believe what I have been missing. Truly a work of art and tone for days.
    Last edited by stereostapp; 02-18-2022 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Adding photo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stereostapp
    I have recently purchased a Benedetto 16-B that came available in Bob's Boutique. I had never played a Benedetto. I can't believe what I have been missing. Truly a work of art and tone for days.
    Purchased a Bravo last spring. My second. The first one a few years ago had a mysterious pick up or cavity rattle (long story). I sold it. This one has the different pickup (the black one). It's the best guitar I've ever owned. Both were built like fine jewelry --- as if constructed under a microscope. The neck scale reminds me of the Johnny Smith I used for many, many years. I sold my Heritage 575. This is the one I bought:

Antiqueburst Bravo | Benedetto Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stereostapp
    Congrats!! Would love to see some pics

User Info Menu

Bob Benedetto's twelfth guitar is for sale in Christchurch, New Zealand, apparently. Before you reach for your credit card, I should advise you that the advertisement copy appears, almost verbatim, in a 2008 post on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, where it was apparently taken from an advertisement on souq.com, 'the UAE equivalent of eBay.'

I hope is not a scam: we have had quite a few recently. It is far beyond my budget, but I would not like another guitarist to be fooled. If anyone here knows anything about this guitar, I would appreciate your advice.

User Info Menu

Here is my one off Benedetto 16B. I love the compact size The woods are beautiful. The tone is classic. Just a joy to play.

Cincy
    Attached Images Attached Images Benedetto Appreciation thread-img_1015-jpeg Benedetto Appreciation thread-img_1017-jpeg