The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35
    The name of the store is SUBWAY MUSIC it is owned and operated by FAT DOG the brand my Gibson copy was also FAT DOG. I noticed a 1950 epi but its an out of date list. I suggest a person call him if interested in his current stock of jazz guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have met Hirofumi in Tokyo just before Covid-19 made travelling impossible. He is a nice guy and great player. You can hear that Barney Kessel is his hero. He also owns an Archtop Tribute ATC 350BK the custom model made by the Westville people. It is as close as one can get to the original Gibson. Great guitar.

As far as I know King Snake is owned by Gretch.

Hirofumi is one of the talented students of Yoshiaki Okayasu who sounds more like Kenny Burrell (they have played together). Yoshiaki is my favourite Japanese traditional guitarist but lesser known as he is not a social media guy and only speaks Japanese. He has recorded about twenty CDs, the latest one with only ballads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Gretsch 5420t with p-90s will get you pretty close, and under $1000; very well-made. Even the Filtertron models work well for old-school swing, jump blues and ballads; I just grabbed a pre-owned lightly-used black one with gold hardware: very sharp and very expressive. $650. Quite unbeatable.
    I agree. It's the old school Christian/Burrell type tones the Filtertrons have a problem reproducing. Understandably, as they are very mid-scooped pickups. TV Jones T90s would get you closer, and for the PAF thing the Rio Grande BBQ Tron set does the job. (I owned/own both)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    I have met Hirofumi in Tokyo just before Covid-19 made travelling impossible. He is a nice guy and great player. You can hear that Barney Kessel is his hero. He also owns an Archtop Tribute ATC 350BK the custom model made by the Westville people. It is as close as one can get to the original Gibson. Great guitar.

As far as I know King Snake is owned by Gretch.

Hirofumi is one of the talented students of Yoshiaki Okayasu who sounds more like Kenny Burrell (they have played together). Yoshiaki is my favourite Japanese traditional guitarist but lesser known as he is not a social media guy and only speaks Japanese. He has recorded about twenty CDs, the latest one with only ballads.
    Wow, what a gifted player Yoshiaki is. Thanks for the referral!

Here’s Yoshiaki playing a soft a tender ballad and another playing live with Hirofumi.

User Info Menu

Here’s take the A train.

The store is Subway Guitars owned by Fat Dog.The model I mentioned is called the Lowell model.But I think it might available in 2 pickup version. Just look under jazz guitars on his website at Subway Guitars. I think the japan made guitars are 2 or 3 thousand dollars,his are about 6oo.

The name of the store is Subway Music in Berkley,Ca. Fat Dog is the owner. You can look online under Subway Guitars and then jazz guitars or better yet just call them.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what kind of amps he uses?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    The name of the store is Subway Music in Berkley,Ca. Fat Dog is the owner. You can look online under Subway Guitars and then jazz guitars or better yet just call them.
    I've been there a couple of times. It is SO Berkeley! Guitars were hanging from the ceiling, some of them banging into one another as customers attempted to navigate through the shop. I think I saw one decent instrument in the whole place...and it looked scared.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garthmoore
    Does anyone know what kind of amps he uses?
    AER compact 60-3, according to the man himself.