The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

I have a couple of zt lunchbox amps. I have used them out a number of times also. Very portable, and sound pretty good. One zt is loud enough for most (if not all) uses. I did throw a comp in front of the amp. I used them as a stand alone amp and also in wet/dry or wet/dry/wet combos. (I have lately been using a Henrickson Jazz amp and ProJr combination for wet/dry).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

LJ is 15 lbs.

Jazz 12 is 22.5 lbs. It's $350 at MF right now, which seems like a pretty good price.

One thing I'd mention ... I play the LJ with the bass rolled all the way down, or, sometimes, almost all the way. I wouldn't have guessed that I'd be doing that with an 8" speaker. It doesn't make me want the same amplifier section (which it seems to be) with a bigger speaker, but maybe it would be more full sounding rather than too-bassy.

I don't think it's a given that everybody is going to think the 12 is better for their needs.

User Info Menu

I took delivery of a Blackstar Fly3 today. It is the definition of a TINY, quiet, battery-powered, practice amp. It's 1/4 the size of my Microcube, and sounds as good. It doesn't have all the different amp models, effects, and tuner... but if you just want a warm, clean sound for jazz practice, it will do it very well. It is not a toy like the Honeytone type amps are. It's got some heft to it, and the tone control is unique... it's not just a treble control, it's supposed to be "US" on one side, then morph into "UK" when you turn towards the other side.

I do wish it had reverb instead of delay, however, even tho it's a 1-or-2 trick pony (it has a clean channel and a dirt channel), it's VERY impressive, for it's tiny size. I haven't done a shootout with my Microcube yet, that's next. Will report back.

Oh- and it's under $100. It's perfect for late-nite, vacations, the beach, etc. You can also plug an mp3 or phone in and play music through it.... it doesn't sound as good as my Bose Soundlink Mini II of course, but it sounds quite good- better than many of the cheap mp3 speakers out there now. When playing music through the mp3 input, none of the amp controls function- the device is the control for volume, EQ, and such. This is actually so you can play along to music if you want to.

OH- you can also power it with a power supply, sold separately.

User Info Menu

Took delivery of a Yamaha THR10ii wireless today. Previously had the older, non wireless version. While the main intention was for quiet practice with overdriven blues-rock sounds, it pairs well with an archtop, particularly on the “flat” mode.

I also have a Henriksen Blu which is fantastic, obviously more of a one trick pony than the THR and tends to prefer being slightly too loud for nighttime practice with kids in the house.

Im moving away from headphones as I’ve given myself tinnitus with them.

User Info Menu

I like my Orange Crush 35rt. Dead quiet, lush clean tones, natural sounding reverb, light weight, and can get loud and stay clean. Crush 35RT – Orange Amps

I'm a jazzer and never thought I would like an Orange amp. I was wrong. I also play a Fishman Loubox mini. It has a bit of a hiss though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I don't think it's a given that everybody is going to think the 12 is better for their needs.
    That’s for sure! This thread moved me to buy a Li’l Jazz last week - $300 was such a good price that my wife said “Buy it already!”. And I’ve been using a Jazz 12 for at least 2 years. The 8 blows me away! My big 7 Eastman (807CE7) sounds fantastic through it - bass lines are rich and full all the way down. The “wood” is right there in the tone, and everything articulates clearly even with bass and chord melody together at high volume. And it’s a killer little blues amp with my Tele (‘buckers) and a Dumblr pedal.

Is the 12 “better”? I don’t think so. It’ll play a little louder with a clean low bass line, although the 8 is a bit tighter way down and it’s plenty loud enough for the 75 seat club in which I’m the house band leader. The 12 is a little tubby in the bottom with the volume cranked. I’m leaving the 12 at the club and taking the LJ on outside gigs.

User Info Menu

After playing a Blues deluxe in band situations in the past, and a VOX AC4TV8 practice amp (built in attenuator, still very loud if you want it to sound nice so with a Sansamp pedal to give it colour), I’v now fallen in love with the VOX Mini3 modeling amp, built in effects and headphone amp out.
    Also have the VOX Mini5Rhythm, found it cheap. But prefer the VOX Mini3, maybe because of natural compression and overdrive because of the tiny speaker?
    Dial in blackface 2x12, drive all the way up, little bit of room reverb, runs forever on batteries, sweet!
    Maybe comparable to the Roland Microcube but looks a lot nicer

User Info Menu

For modeling amps that have the "always on" noise gates or compression, the pumping sound of the noise floor going quiet with signal and coming back without signal can be a frustrating pain for low level practicing - a situation when you tend to be listening carefully.

LED and other non-incandescent lights will produce noise throughout a home, no escape but to turn them off. In an apartment, this may include your neighbors' lights.

Proximity to old CRT screens and any un-terminated coax cable (internet/TV) will produce noise, especially the cable. Un-terminated means not connected to something, so if you have cable service coax outlets not in use, they are a noise source. They can be silenced by tracing them back to the splitter (usually in the attic of homes) and disconnecting them, which may require cooperation from neighbors and manager if in an apartment.

User Info Menu

I have received many suggestions and in fact found a solution. It is comprised of a Quilter 202 and a Toob 10" J cab. Dead quiet, small, light and easily portable though a Quilter super block would be lighter, and sounds fantastic.
    Small, portable, QUIET practice amp-5-jpg

For the sake of clarity, I thought I would show a pic, which I haven´t unfortunately been able to rotate properly. The cab, in fore front, has a mount for the Quilter 202 on top. I haven´t used the velcro in that pic to have it mounted as of yet. It meets all my criteria I had when I started the thread. Thanks all for input!
    Last edited by 0zoro; 08-28-2021 at 08:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    For modeling amps that have the "always on" noise gates or compression, the pumping sound of the noise floor going quiet with signal and coming back without signal can be a frustrating pain for low level practicing - a situation when you tend to be listening carefully.

LED and other non-incandescent lights will produce noise throughout a home, no escape but to turn them off. In an apartment, this may include your neighbors' lights.

Proximity to old CRT screens and any un-terminated coax cable (internet/TV) will produce noise, especially the cable. Un-terminated means not connected to something, so if you have cable service coax outlets not in use, they are a noise source. They can be silenced by tracing them back to the splitter (usually in the attic of homes) and disconnecting them, which may require cooperation from neighbors and manager if in an apartment.
    You’re right, the VOX has kind of a noise gate, it’s quiet when no signal is present and opens when signal is fed into it, but to my ears it’s still OK, it also has a line input choice (no modeling) if you use that and don’t use the effects it’s pretty quiet.

To add to the list of things that can generate noise: PSU’s or Wallwarts, always make sure they are shielded (built in ones) or as far away from amps as possible!