Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 68

User Info Menu

Great playing! Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Whew. Now that’s great! Joe, what a great performance and an exemplary guitar to play this on. I can only commend you for your hard work to get to this level of play and aspire to not only get fractionally as good but also to one day have an L5 of my own. You and this guitar sound fantastic. Aces across the board.
    Thank You Esport.
    I appreciate it. I will admit, while I dont have the talent to write arrangements at quite this level, it is very time consuming. It is still hard work as you put it.
    But its gratifying, and I love it.
    So, I will stay in the lane I am supposed to be in and do what I do.
    And let me tell you.. One day, if you get an L5, you will see what I mean. Lawson said it better than I've ever heard it before. The L5 rewards the musician playing it.
    In a nutshell, that's the best way to put it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Joe, that's classic in every way. Enjoy your new partner!
    If you're pondering an exploration of 'Standards In Movies' please let me respectfully suggest this one. It's a perfect capstone to an outstanding movie (from an deeply flawed auteur), and all the more special because their are so few examples of the actor's singing voice:
    Hi Sam, Thank You buddy.
    Thats a beauty. Another one I like is "Somewhere" from Westside Story. Particularly, the vocal "clinic" the great and I mean GREAT, Barbara Streisand put on when she sang that song. They should have put a bow on that song and not allowed it to ever be sung again after she glorified it with her brilliance.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I'm with our friend Neatomic. Keep 'em coming.
    Thank You Greentone. Whatever happened to Neatomic, I hope he was treated to the same level of helpful kindness that he always demonstrated to us here at JGF. He always flipped the light on, rather than cursed the darkness.
    Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Great playing! Thank you.
    Thank You Guavajelly..
    You know, we've been going to a Columbian Bakery/Restaurant a lot lately and I had Guava Jelly loaded pastries for the 1st time. The Guava is really good mixed with cheese in there pastries. But let me tell you.. Their Stews, Rolls, Empanada's and Rice and Beans are ridiculously good. I love eating the food of different cultures. We are lucky in America to have every type of food imaginable at our fingertips. Speaking of FINGERTIPS>>>
    I LOVE THIS GUITAR!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    QA, thank you bud.
    I always thought I needed a floater. Well, I don’t know why but the set in pickup nets the perfect sound, feel and palette for all types of Jazz and solo guitar. We are all so fortunate to have these wonderful guitars.
    JD
    IMO a floater is a 1 trick pony. A set in is way warmer and has more versatility.
    Everyone’s ear has its own sweet spot though. I like humbuckers in archtops.
    I also love thick tops and plywood archtops. More electric than acoustic.
    The Wes model checks all my boxes. Tough act to follow IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    IMO a floater is a 1 trick pony. A set in is way warmer and has more versatility.
    Everyone’s ear has its own sweet spot though. I like humbuckers in archtops.
    I also love thick tops and plywood archtops. More electric than acoustic.
    The Wes model checks all my boxes. Tough act to follow IMHO.
    You aint kidding bro.
    Only problem is, like Eyes, Ears, Arms, Legs, Hands, Wheels and Teeth, You need more than one..
    L,J

User Info Menu

There is a undeniable substance in the design of the electric Gibson L5 which radiates a sonic quality that is unequalled for electric jazz guitar.

There are many pretenders and clone attempts, but the L5 is still the standard from which they are judged.

I’m mainly an acoustic player, but every now and then I plug in my Wes and marvel at the fat rich texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Joe on this Wes L5 I heard of course the influence of Johnny Smith on the tune but I also detect a bit of Tony Mattola. Very precise and executed well.

User Info Menu

I hope you like my Video.

Joe DeNisco[/QUOTE]

YES, I do like, of course. Wonderful playing, great tone, thanks for posting Joe.

User Info Menu

That WesMo sounds great! The lows are deep and warm and wrap their sounds around you. The highs are crystalline and bright and can set me to dreaming. But the whole package wouldn't sound like diddly without a great player! Thanks for the endless inspiration, JoeMax!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    There is a undeniable substance in the design of the electric Gibson L5 which radiates a sonic quality that is unequalled for electric jazz guitar.
    There are many pretenders and clone attempts, but the L5 is still the standard from which they are judged.
    I’m mainly an acoustic player, but every now and then I plug in my Wes and marvel at the fat rich texture.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QA, you are so right, I should always preface my proclamations about the L5 being the best by qualifying that it is no doubt an Electric guitar. 1st and foremost.
    I have to play my L5 acoustically more often.
    JD
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Joe on this Wes L5 I heard of course the influence of Johnny Smith on the tune but I also detect a bit of Tony Mattola. Very precise and executed well.
    Johnny will always be on my mind when playing. But this is in fact a Tony Mottola arrangement. I tweaked it here and added a couple of things to make more appealing when played solo.
    Deacon, you are one of the most universally respected people I’ve ever seen on the forum. I am glad you comment on my stuff. Thank you.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Joe DeNisco
    YES, I do like, of course. Wonderful playing, great tone, thanks for posting Joe.[/QUOTE]
    Thank you ESCC. The pleasure is really all mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    That WesMo sounds great! The lows are deep and warm and wrap their sounds around you. The highs are crystalline and bright and can set me to dreaming. But the whole package wouldn't sound like diddly without a great player! Thanks for the endless inspiration, JoeMax!
    Flat, thank you sir. That was a GREAT summation of the sound. The L5 reaches the potential that a big instrument can offer better than any other guitar I’ve played. Nothing gets lost or jumbled like I’ve heard in other similarly sized guitars. It just generates pure perfection.
    Thanks again.
    JD

User Info Menu

It would've been great to be able to rent an L5 for a couple of months before deciding on buying one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    It would've been great to be able to rent an L5 for a couple of months before deciding on buying one.
    I basically have rented every guitar I’ve ever owned. Well the ones I don’t own anymore.
    JD

User Info Menu

With the signature kiss at the end. Love it!

User Info Menu

Magnificient rendition, Joey Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    With the signature kiss at the end. Love it!
    Yeah, she’s my baby.. thanks 2B

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Magnificient rendition, Joey Congrats!
    My man Freddy. Once again its an honor to hear these things from you.

Guys, seriously.
    I am so proud to be able have a strong group of guys like all of you who look at what I record and comment the way you do. This is my Carnegie Hall at this stage in my life and each and every one of you who post for me make me feel like a big deal.
    I can’t thank you all enough.
    I am very proud of this guitar. It took some really good turns in my life to get another L5. I thank my God for it.

I really wasn’t going to post this, but I changed my mind when I really listened to it and heard how great my girl sounded. I wanted you guys to hear that it’s not just a bunch of over hyped garbage about the Gibson L5. Take it from me it’s not. Each of us who own an L5 are very lucky. The only other guitar I’ve owned that compared favorably to it was my Gibson Johnny Smith. I miss that guitar.
    Once again, thanks guys.
    Joe DeNisco

User Info Menu

Just watched this again, Joe. Thank you for sharing your gift! A wonderful way to enjoy a Sunday. Seeing you playing that guitar looks like you’re in your zone. Just a seamless blend of instrument and artist. So happy you’re back in WesMo land. You truly make yours the “Wes DeNiscMo” model.

Grateful for you!

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Just watched this again, Joe. Thank you for sharing your gift! A wonderful way to enjoy a Sunday. Seeing you playing that guitar looks like you’re in your zone. Just a seamless blend of instrument and artist. So happy you’re back in WesMo land. You truly make yours the “Wes DeNiscMo” model.
    Grateful for you!
    Roli
    Hahaa. Thank you Roli. Calling this guitar anything other than the Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery would be a sin!
    Wes is a legend. Gibson did right by signing him to an endorsement deal. Although they’ve missed the boat lately, they made some good choices over the years.
    I am so glad I have this guitar.
    I hope you are enjoying your L4 Roli. You did real good on that one bud. It looks really cool in your Avatar.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe on this Wes L5 I heard of course the influence of Johnny Smith on the tune

Speaking of Johnny, I'll bet the WesMo is even more dramatic in drop D. It's got a solid bottom in standard tuning, but for the occasional surprise wow, that low D would cause shivers. It does to me when I hear Johnny do Shenandoah.

Joe, on your to do list, you can check off the "find decent guitar" item.

User Info Menu

MG,
    Hahaaa. As you know, I've had tooo many decent guitars. You told me long ago, to stop and love the one I'm with. But like Stringswinger always says, I am commited to ONE woman. So the only thing I could "play around with" is Guitars. I think I might have gone overboard.
    Yeah I think You are right. Actually I am pretty close to having all the boxes checked.
    I have a guitar on the way that I've always wanted to try so hopefully I love it. If so, its a keeper.
    That leaves only one left. Just one. At the current time, that one is quite happy where she is (who wouldnt be). I haven't given up hope though.. Perhaps, she will come back home and Shenandoah will be first on the list of songs I can learn with her. Along with a polish up of "What's New".
    Thanks for pointing out that I haven't done a drop D song with the L5Wes. I think I have to get my ass in gear..
    Thanks MG. And once again, that Gretsch is really beautiful.
    JD

User Info Menu

Coincidentally, YouTube has recently posted a transcription of Tony Mottola's version and whilst Joe acknowledges Tony's version , I much prefer the arrangement
    Joe has created. As always, he is so very precise in all his interpretations of the beloved standards and the tones and warmth he gently coaxes from his amazing
    guitars is simply magical. I could listen to him all day and everyday ! Many thanks, Joe and please don't ever change !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    Coincidentally, YouTube has recently posted a transcription of Tony Mottola's version and whilst Joe acknowledges Tony's version , I much prefer the arrangement
    Joe has created. As always, he is so very precise in all his interpretations of the beloved standards and the tones and warmth he gently coaxes from his amazing
    guitars is simply magical. I could listen to him all day and everyday ! Many thanks, Joe and please don't ever change !
    WOW!
    That was really nice. Thank you gtrplrfla. Yes you are right, I use transcriptions for a lot of what I play, I am alway tweaking them here and there. I try to make them work for solo playing. I also learn them with the intention to play them for the rest of my life, so sometimes I interject my own lines in them because its easier for me to remember. In particular, I try to emulate the same Arpeggios, but sometimes I substitute the whole scale which is MUCH easier for me to remember.
    The gentleman who posts those transcriptions is doing the Jazz Guitar Player world a tremendous service by making those available to the masses. But please understand there ALOT of them, "Boy Next Door" and "My one and only love" come to mind, that I learned before Transcriptions are available. It just takes me sometimes weeks to learn these pieces by ear. If I can snag one here and there, I'd be stupid not to! Sometimes, I am smart enough to write them out just in case I forget them. I wish I did that with Johnny's "Whats New". I think I might have to re-learn that one.. I want a nice fresh Drop D song to play for MartyGrass.. (and I also heard Linda Ronstadt sing it the other day..). Wow what a song.
    Thank You Once again.