The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

what do you guys do for computer workstation cable organizers? The regular ones don't work well for me because I have 2 monitors, 2 powered studio speakers, computer, battery backup, audio interface, etc. So I have over a dozen cables, 6 of which are big, heavy power cables.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good question, Jack! Will follow this with interest.

User Info Menu

I've got so many cables...

Out of one side of my laptop, ethernet cable, external monitor cable two usb cables, the other side of the laptop a power cable and a usb cable. Monitor has a power cable.
    Studio monitors each have a power cable and trs quarter inch.
    Audio interface has usb cable, four mic cables, headphone cable, and those two trs to the speackers, and a couple insert cables to a compressor.

It's a lot.

Out of site out of mind as much as possible. They all head towards the back of and under the desk as much as possible. I have my interface on a shelf under the desk, which gets all those cables out of the way. It's still more messy than I'd like.

If I could get the lap top on a shelf under the desk and get one of those really wide monitors, I could really clean things up. Currently I'm using the laptop as my second monitor.

User Info Menu

I use cup-hooks screwed into the bottom of my desk and coat-hooks on the wall for cable management. Power strips are wall mounted. I have a similar dual monitor thing with interface leading to powered speakers, plus a laptop, and a phone, and a tablet and all their cords and chargers. It's also a CAD workstation by day.

This mainly came about since I'm in a basement that has been known to flood. I wanted everything off the floor.

I guess it mostly just changes where the mess is located, but it keeps it organized and I can easily get at any cord or run another.

User Info Menu

Would you be able to do spiral cable wrap to group them together, at least some of them? Sort of like creating your own snake for a PA.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

I use various methods, but mostly double-sided velcro tape. I have a roll of thin, easily torn tape. It's not actually Velcro brand, but it works the same way. It's cheap and easy on and off, in any length I need at the moment. I don't throw it away when I change things, since it's almost infinitely reusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Would you be able to do spiral cable wrap to group them together, at least some of them? Sort of like creating your own snake for a PA.

that's what I've been looking at...

The only thing is that I need multiple exit points so I'm not sure it works for that. I might be better off just buying some black pvc.

Or were you talking about this?

Polyethylene Spiral Wrap Tubing | Spiral Cable Wrap | Spiral Hose Wrap

User Info Menu

I have a pretty elaborate studio setup with computer, off board gear, a rack of mike preamps and compressors, a full digital mixer etc. It is certainly a big deal to keep it all organized.

They make velcro cable ties with a little slot in them to attach to the cable, and then you can tie up several together. They can be rearranged easily if necessary. They are called Velcro One-Wraps. Amazon has them. I have a roll of them and just peel them off when needed.

If it is a permanent installation I use good old cable ties (the plastic ones with teeth) every foot or so, and I have them tied to hooks when needed on the underside of the desk as was mentioned. You can do that with both power and audio cables, but keep them seperate or you may introduce interference. You can do a bunch of cables with the bigger ones. The small ones are good for pedal board cables too. The down side is you have to cut them to rearrange cables.

I have tried those poly spirals, they don't really work for me. If you bundle the cables tightly before attaching velcro or zip ties it is usually enough, for me anyway.

User Info Menu

I try to raise everything off the floor, less dust and easier to clean the space. I use cable velcro ties to spiral any extra cable length, and bundle cables together. Then I clamp everything I can to the main desk (mine has hooks, otherwise I would just glue some small velcro pieces - or 3m for stronger- to hang the cable bundles.

User Info Menu

Related issue is combating RF interference from cables that are bundled together, multiple devices sharing the same outlet, ground loops, etc. For example, I need to drape my studio monitor speaker cables in a specific orientation above and over the top of the speakers in order to eliminate hum. Sometimes these speakers pick up a local jazz station—that freaked me out when I first heard it. I am in the process of moving my gear to a different room in the house—I’m expecting a whole host of new issues to arise in that room.