The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

does anybody had solved the reverb pot hum on the polytone baby brute?

do you have schematics?
    do I replace all the opamp?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Following this as mine has the exact same problem. Although everyone told me not to bother as the reverb apparently isn't the best..

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Following this as mine has the exact same problem. Although everyone told me not to bother as the reverb apparently isn't the best..
    there is always a solution..
    Last edited by archtopdream63; 04-27-2021 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Herbie wrote this a few years ago. You might want to try it:

My MB IV is very quiet too. But it had a hum. It went away by connecting the chassis of the preamp to the chassis of the reverb tank. You can do it Yourself if You can turn a screw and solder. Of course it can be caused by something else too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Herbie wrote this a few years ago. You might want to try it:

My MB IV is very quiet too. But it had a hum. It went away by connecting the chassis of the preamp to the chassis of the reverb tank. You can do it Yourself if You can turn a screw and solder. Of course it can be caused by something else too.
    Hi greentone hope all is well.
    I try but I suspect is something with the pots (the hum doesn’t disappear even when the tank is disconnected) or circuit (resistors, opamps etc)

User Info Menu

Ground the reverb tank chassis to the green ground wire on preamp chassis.

I noticed R33 in my unit was 100k ohms. Schematic indicated 82k ohms. A 240k is now in parallel with it. Lower recovery amp gain.

Flip and lower reverb tank so output is further away from power transformer hum and RCA jacks clear top. First two steps worked on the bench but some hum returned when I was starting to remount reverb tank in original mounting configuration.
    I had a similar problem with an Ampeg V4.
    Last edited by ampman; 03-16-2024 at 03:38 PM. Reason: additional action

User Info Menu

pix