The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 177

User Info Menu

Hello Fidelcaster.
    I have chance of the 'YTA-95.' Been waiting for another G212 ll but this came along for £80. How does it compare to our 'Sleepers?' Thanks x

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like most all of the Yamaha amps from that vintage. One of my amps is a first version G-50. It's a consistent, even, fine-toned amp. It does small combo chores for me (along with my Spectra amp) when I want to leave the amp at the venue. (Typically, I am talking here about theater gigs, i.e., musical plays and shows.) There are several venues in my community that put these on, and I keep a very reliable Yamaha and a very reliable Spectra--both from the 70s--to keep on scene.

The YTA-95 is a 70s amp, IIRC, that is bigger and louder than the G-50 I have. It is a more sophisticated amp and is capable of competing toe-to-toe with a 70s vintage Roland JC-120, for example.

If the amp is in good shape it should be a nice amp.

User Info Menu

Hi Greentone. Yeah, was thinking, as it's from same period as the G100s it'll be a decent acquisition. Think my mind was made up anyway. Many thanks for your reply, and for replying so soon!

User Info Menu

So. These are my 'go to' weapons of choice. I have another G100ii and the YTA-95.
    Thanks to this thread and its contributors I feel dirty if I even take a sideways look at another 'fluesy frilly' amp!????
    Attached Images Attached Images Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-img_0764-jpg 

User Info Menu

I like the series 1 with the added presence/bright knob , preset/master volume and tremelo. The 4 band EQ is versatile and full sounding. In the 50 watt power range you have to go to the 210 to get it as I think the 112 has a bright switch instead? I finally got around to trying some Quilters and found they didn't have an edge on these amps, for what I do anyway. To my ears the Quilters sounded more solid state and less organic. Not bad, just different.

User Info Menu

Hello Fidelcaster, bredren and sistren!
    here are some pics of some of my most prized possessions.
    (my Ibanez AM200 is at the doctors. Numero uno prize possession!)
    Attached Images Attached Images Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-img_0885-jpg Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-img_0887-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roots13
    ooglybong et-al. I have a chance of a 'G100B-212'.
    Does anyone have any experience or info on them. Think I can get for about£80
    Thanks
    I see you DID get it.

Hi everybody. Resurrecting this thread that started in 2010 and keeps on coming back. I have a B 212. The difference is the B 212 has two channels, G 100 has one channel. Here is my NewAmpDay Thread at MWGLF:

Another NSSAD | MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com

There is a link in the thread to yamaholics-something, doesn't work for me.

Re: are the speakers swapable between the B100 and the G100? I would think so, I don't have a G100 so not sure. If they are both 8 ohms, yes.

User Info Menu

Anyone happen to have, or know where I could get, any spare knobs for a YTA-95? I'm missing two

Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-img_3866_0-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by substatica
    Anyone happen to have, or know where I could get, any spare knobs for a YTA-95? I'm missing two

Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-img_3866_0-jpg
    They are unusual. You could try to look for Japanese sellers on eBay who ship worldwide. There are a lot of parts floating around there for older Japanese music products. 3D printing might be worth looking into as well as you could possibly make a copy of the part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wildschwein
    They are unusual. You could try to look for Japanese sellers on eBay who ship worldwide. There are a lot of parts floating around there for older Japanese music products. 3D printing might be worth looking into as well as you could possibly make a copy of the part.
    Yeah, unusual to say the least. I've been checking eBay without joy. eBay Japan might be good, but alas I don't even know how to properly search in Japanese. Not sure I'd go as far as getting them duplicated, I'd probably just replace them all with something new before doing that (and keep the old ones around in case I track down more).

User Info Menu

Hi all. Discovered this forum because of this thread. Cool place. Somewhere, out in my shed, I have an old G50-410, and in my garage, an old G100-212, all of which are collecting dust. This thread has inspired me to "dust 'em off", and bring them back to life. The bad news is, at my age, there's no way I can lift that 410. That thing is unbelievably heavy.

But anyway, nice to be here. I'll keep you posted on my progress, and thanks to all who posted links to the manuals and documentation.

Artie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Artied2
    The bad news is, at my age, there's no way I can lift that 410. That thing is unbelievably heavy.
    How about trying to get it over onto its side, then install a set of casters? Rolling around, that should hopefully get you most of the way there. I'm still thinking about doing that with my G100-112 one of these days, but sitting where it does right now, I really don't so much need to since I don't gig with it. Heavy amps indeed—especially for those of us past a certain age.

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by ooglybong; 05-07-2022 at 06:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks ooglybong. The funny thing is, almost all of the pics I see of the 410 on the 'net, have the casters, and mine doesn't. I've always wondered if all those people modded theirs, or did they come that way? In other words, was it a factory option?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ooglybong
    How about trying to get it over onto its side, then install a set of casters? Rolling around, that should hopefully get you most of the way there. I'm still thinking about doing that with my G100-112 one of these days, but sitting where it does right now, I really don't so much need to since I don't gig with it. Heavy amps indeed—for those of us past a certain age.

Welcome to the forum!
    These work great.

Ernie Ball 6102 Amp Caster (x4) Deluxe Pop-In Socket Set | Sweetwater

Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-casters-jpg

Hello there,
    I will buy a Yamaha G50 112 II and wonder:
    Can use it with a little headphones amplifier via the Direct Out or the Ext. Speaker Out?

Saludos, Tobias

User Info Menu

Tobias,
    I have this model and I believe that the answer is no. Great amp, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcclaneonfire
    Hello there,
    I will buy a Yamaha G50 112 II and wonder:
    Can use it with a little headphones amplifier via the Direct Out or the Ext. Speaker Out?

Saludos, Tobias
    The "Direct Out", yes. It's simply the speaker out, with an L-pad, to drop it down to quasi-line-level, or possibly, mic-level. Just remember, it's mono. So use a "Y" cord to hear it through both L/R. But if it's mic-level, you may need a mic input. A small, cheap mixer, with a headphone out, would solve this problem all around.

User Info Menu

Interesting thread that I have just enjoyed reading.

Managed to get hold of a G100-210 III in very good condition for a very good price. Awesome amp - the clean tones are amazing. I didn't really need it (I thought) as I recently got a good deal on a DG80-112 and now I have a stereo pair :-). I should probably experiment with wet/dry/wet configurations.

I have been playing the G100 with an aex1500 that I got on eBay about a year ago and it sounds epic. Sounds good on my other Yamahas, as well (SA2000 with PRS pickups and a PAC6111VFM with P90s).

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a Yamaha fan (have a number more...)

User Info Menu

I just stumbled across this video of Paul Rivera Sr being interview about the history of the Yamaha G100 amps that he helped design.

I am still enjoying my G100-115 II and G100-112 II amps!
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 06-05-2019 at 02:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I just received my second Yamaha g100-112 series II amp in the mail, purchased on ebay. I note that this one has a an original plywood case, not particle board....my other yamaha g50-112 series II has particle board! WOW they sound fantastic. Solid state amps without a transformer are very different animals than these earlier solid state amps.
    Last edited by Jim Bastian; 08-06-2019 at 11:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    I just stumbled across this video of Paul Rivera Sr being interview about the history of the Yamaha G100 amps that helped design.

I am still enjoying my G100-115 II and G100-112 II amps!
    Paul mentions that it has a current feedback power amplifier! Wow! Some of the newest generation ss amps have that too to mimic the interaction of an output transformer with the speaker (since ss amps have no output transformer). But this amp also had it already! That’s probably one of the reasons it sounds so good!

User Info Menu

Looks like a Yamaha amp to me. I believe the guitarist is the late Eric Gale.

User Info Menu

Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-875b9cc1-4715-4c32-9e7f-afe9c8516734-jpgI did it. It took guts. I took my beloved g100-112 and with a Skil saw cut it in half, making a killer g100 head in portable package. I love it. Killer clean archtop jazz tone. Amp is amazing.

User Info Menu

Bravo!

Since my last post, I have got a Line 6 Helix which works brilliantly as the pre-amp in front of the power amp in the G100-210 to get a huge range of tones. Have used it in a covers band context and got compliments. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bastian
    Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-875b9cc1-4715-4c32-9e7f-afe9c8516734-jpgI did it. It took guts. I took my beloved g100-112 and with a Skil saw cut it in half, making a killer g100 head in portable package. I love it. Killer clean archtop jazz tone. Amp is amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bastian
    Nice. Did they make heads back in the day or just combos? I’m afraid I don’t have your ability and mine would look like a 7 year old did it.