The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

Or is it a solution in search of a problem?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do use one but haven't tried it for jazz guitar yet. Since it compresses the transient which listeners perceive as "volume" you can get away with a bit more actual volume than without a compressor and a louder transient.

User Info Menu

I don't use it on stage.
    When I do mastering in DAW sometimes, yes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    As a distinct guitar effect, no. But on recordings, I often use it, either to tame dynamics of specific parts (typically vocals and bass) and/or on the overall mix. Multiband compression can make a big difference in the quality of a mix without being noticeable as an effect.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I don't use it on stage.
    When I do mastering in DAW sometimes, yes.
    Don't mean to be off-topic here but I'm wondering if "EQing" a guitar solo for either this forum or any recording really, would be considered "cheating"?

User Info Menu

I use one when I'm using a volume pedal with my semi hollow. The volume and compressor are part of the same effect when I'm using them as an alternative to natural decay.
    It turns the guitar into a different instrument for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    Don't mean to be off-topic here but I'm wondering if "EQing" a guitar solo for either this forum or any recording really, would be considered "cheating"?
    Are you talking post recording?
    Does it bring you closer to what you hear the sound should be? If so, just who would you be cheating?

User Info Menu

EQ? No. Why do you think it would be? If you mean processing and editing more generally, it depends on what is being done and how it's being presented. E.g., if someone says "here's a completely live, unedited, unprocessed take" and it's in fact all overdubbed parts and comped solos, it's deceptive. But altering the tone or dynamics or balance of instruments from a performance in order to make the recording sound good in typical listening environments is completely valid.

John

User Info Menu

I use one sometimes when I'm practicing. It softens and evens out the sound in a pleasant way. It's not always on.

There are some what I believe to be misconceptions about using compressor pedals:

- "It kills the dynamics": In the literal sense of the word, yes it reduces the amplitude range of the notes. But if you consider dynamics in a more general sense, the expressive effect of picking force, dynamics are still fully there. Picking attack changes the timbre of the instrument. Compression does not make heavy attacks and light touches sound the same. Instruments respond to heavy attacks with more overtone content. Humans also intuitively change the timber of their voice the same way when they imitate a shouting person in whispering volumes.

- "If you want to even out the notes, it's better to improve your technique instead of relying on a gadget": This would've been true if you started out with an "even" response instrument and an amplifier. However most if not all guitars and amps are louder in some of their spectrum range and quieter in the rest. They may even have individual dead or wolf notes. Technically, compression gives you a more even instrument. Presumably that may even improve your dynamics game as your brain isn't constantly confused with inconsistent feedback to your attack.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 04-01-2021 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I use it, very light setting, always on. I'm really using it as a buffer more than as a compressor, it's the first pedal on my pedal board.

User Info Menu

I have an MXR Dyna Comp. I love it.
    Very common in country guitar, helps with sustain, especially when using a clean tone.

A nice demo:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I have an MXR Dyna Comp. I love it.
    I have that pedal as well. I find it be sometimes a bit too artificial. But it could be the settings. What settings do you use?

My quilter has a limiter knob which I think gives a more natural compression sound, I love it.

User Info Menu

I strongly dislike compressors when playing, cause they mess with my dynamics and the response of the guitar. Even when recording, if it's in a studio I prefer natural tube amp compression over a pedal. But some sounds are a compression pedal, so you have to have one (I have the four knob Keeley one).

When in the context of recording music though, everything we hear is somehow compressed. I use very light compression as a mastering tool when I record at home. Actually reading about acoustic guitar compression nowadays, which I'm still very bad at..!

User Info Menu

Actually I just realised, what I have is MXR Super Comp (3 knobs), not Dyna Comp.

User Info Menu

Used to use one for a while many years back. When I turned it off accidentally while recording myself, I didn't like what I heard. My articulation was not what I thought it was! Too loud on some spots, too weak in others, just the thing that a good compression pedal will sort out, right?

Problem was, it was making my right hand lazy, and inexpressive. I've spent part of the years since trying to get more strength and dynamic control in my picking hand. As you all know, it's hard work and resisting the temptation to plug in the compressor is pretty hard too! But when I listen to horns and even piano, the dynamic expression is one of the things I'm drawn to.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I find that light strings, low action, thin picks and compression pedals creates a really boring one dimensional guitar sound, even when the player is very good. The solos all come out "plinkety plink", if you know what I mean, and then the tenor sax steps up and rips yer frickin' head right off!

User Info Menu

People who play through tube amps etc are already using compression. People get on their high horse, but I say - tube amps are an effect...

Actually it’s one thing I find a little tricky. Things behave differently. For the longest time I think I basically wanted to play through solid state amps with lots of clean headroom.

I should try a compressor pedal and see if I hate it. Would be interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Used to use one for a while many years back. When I turned it off accidentally while recording myself, I didn't like what I heard. My articulation was not what I thought it was! Too loud on some spots, too weak in others, just the thing that a good compression pedal will sort out, right?

Problem was, it was making my right hand lazy, and inexpressive. I've spent part of the years since trying to get more strength and dynamic control in my picking hand. As you all know, it's hard work and resisting the temptation to plug in the compressor is pretty hard too! But when I listen to horns and even piano, the dynamic expression is one of the things I'm drawn to.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I find that light strings, low action, thin picks and compression pedals creates a really boring one dimensional guitar sound, even when the player is very good. The solos all come out "plinkety plink", if you know what I mean, and then the tenor sax steps up and rips yer frickin' head right off!
    Yeah! Plug in straight to the desk, no effects.

Then you’ll hear your actual playing...

And then bear in mind many classic guitar tones on record are DI’d ...

User Info Menu

Any commercially produced record you have heard that was created, say, post-war*has been electronically massaged for best effect. Well, if its cheating, everybody's doing it.

If it sounds good, it is good.

* And probably before well before that. Just spitballin' here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Multi-band, post-production. In the old days, when I was first getting into pedals, I would run a Dyna Comp in front of my Hot Tubes*, both set very low.

I should add that compression has always been used to adapt to the requirements of media - the grooves of records, the saturation levels of tape (yum!) and so forth. the dynamic levels capable of being accurately, or even proportionately, reproduced vary with the media, hence the RIAA Curve.

* I miss that pedal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    People who play through tube amps etc are already using compression. People get on their high horse, but I say - tube amps are an effect...

Actually it’s one thing I find a little tricky. Things behave differently. For the longest time I think I basically wanted to play through solid state amps with lots of clean headroom.

I should try a compressor pedal and see if I hate it. Would be interesting.
    Not just tube amps. All amps are an "effect". All compress (and distort) at least some of the time; all color the sound in some way, irrespective of the technology used. Heck, all pickups are a form of effect.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Any commercially produced record you have heard that was created, say, post-war*has been electronically massaged for best effect. Well, if its cheating, everybody's doing it.

If it sounds good, it is good.

* And probably before well before that. Just spitballin' here.
    exactly correct..compression was used on everything from mastering to disc cutting to the radio stations playing the tunes...even mp3s are a compressed format

and also in live sound reinforcement!

a well set up pedal compressor can be a wonderful thing...but requires tweaking time and effort...not just leave all my settings the exact same and plug into one

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    exactly correct..compression was used on everything from mastering to disc cutting to the radio stations playing the tunes...even mp3s are a compressed format

a well set up pedal compressor can be a wonderful thing...but requires tweaking time and effort...not just leave all my settings the exact same and plug into one

cheers
    "Set and forget" is a recipe for disaster. Every room is different, and changes every time someone enters or leaves. You gotta keep your ears open!

User Info Menu

Only when pumping up my tires

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    MP3 data compression is something entirely different from audio dynamic range compression. Data compression does not inherently reduce dynamic range. It just reduces the amount of data used to store a file (with varying degrees of loss of fidelity from the original recording).

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I have that pedal as well. I find it be sometimes a bit too artificial. But it could be the settings. What settings do you use?

My quilter has a limiter knob which I think gives a more natural compression sound, I love it.
    Hhm. Haven't used it lately---I've been working in Reaper, so no pedalboard---but the settings weren't extreme. It makes things tighter. (Which may be undesirable with an archtop.) With my Tele, especially when using the bridge pickup (Twang!) the compression seems like the way a guitar should sound. ;o)

Here's a guy demoing one and you can see what his settings are. (This is the Mini-Comp).