The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Just curious to get some feedback from folks that have had some experience with the Quilter 101 mini reverb head. Also the cabs you might have used with it. Including the Quilter Blockdoc 10" or 12".

(My only experience with Quilter was the Aviator Gold 8" combo amp.)
    Last edited by Wildcat; 03-27-2021 at 03:35 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As on earlier occasions, I ought to abstain from public comments due to my related business interest (TOOB). Again, I choose to play with open cards, because, on this Forum, we're all in the same boat. As I see it, for a jazz guitarist there's three great 50W micro-amps to choose from: Quilter, DV Mark (now 60W but that's just optics) and Milkman. They're different. Quilter is bright/Fenderesque, has a great reverb and weighs just a half of the DV Mark. That, in turn, is darker and, IMHO, more of a jazz amp, but the reverb has a chorusy-tipsy flavor disliked by many. I haven't tried the Milkman, as it's a lot more expensive and you can't have them all. I'm not commenting on overdrive, because I don't understand it and people have stomp boxes for that anyway.

In practice, TOOB users seem to be equally happy with whichever of the three they have chosen. DV people are perhaps more, but not exclusively, into jazz, while Quilter and Milkman people are more rock-oriented. Choosing an amp is like choosing any consumer product: you pore over the facts, eventually test, and finally make a decision based on price and psychology. Choosing is more difficult than using, because, in the end, they're all good. Otherwise, they would not exist.

User Info Menu

I have owned both the 101 and 101R. I returned one and sold the other. They both had a nasal sound that I just couldn't dial out, and I could not find a setting that I really liked. I must admit that I'm not a fan of the Fender sound. I owned a DV Mark head and sold it, because it was so much of a duplicate of the Little Jazz, which I don't intend to sell because it's so transportable and sounds so good. I have an AI Clarus head, the original Series I, and that's what I use most of the time when I want a head. I also have a GK MB200, which is also a wonderful jazz head, but more airy and transparent, more treble, than the Clarus, and I use it, but not quite as much as the Clarus. I play them all through a Raezer's Edge Stealth 10ER. If you're a fan of the Fender tone, you will probably like the 101, because Quilter seems to be trying to duplicate that. I'm not, and I don't. YMMV.

User Info Menu

Well I switched to Quilter amps over 5 years ago from tube amps,mostly Mesa Boogie. Just to give an idea I've owned Micropro Mach 2 , TB200, 101, Aviator
    1x12"combo, Aviator 1x8" combo, and latest TB 201R head.

The last 3 on the list I still own, plus assorted cabs. Easily the most versatile is Aviator 1x8" combo. Since it doubles for small gigs,rehearsals, etc.
    The 1x12"combo for medium sized venues, and TB 201R for largest venues.

I say all this because I found the 101 quite underwhelming even in Surf Mode at a supposed 100 watts? I didn't care for the voicing either. But I believe it had more to do with the lack of actual power available.
    I'm sure if you're a basement home player it has enough volume. But not enough for a louder situation.

User Info Menu

I had the mini 101, didn't much care for it. The EQ controls are not intuitive. I probably would have much preferred the 101 reverb model, never got the chance. On the other hand, I do have a DV Mark Micro 50 CMT, and like that one quite a bit.

The one Quilter that most impressed was the OD200 head. Very effective MV, making it possible to dial in a perfect edge sort of sound on the clean channel. Not as small or cheap as the mini 101, but to me it was better in all ways.

User Info Menu

I have a 101R head. When I got it found it really bright until I got a good speaker/cabinet combination.
    I tried a bunch of speakers and settled on the Eminence Cannabis Rex. But I still found it too bright until I tried different cabs.
    I was surprised on what a difference it made. I now use a V boutique 1x12 cabinet with a slot to insert the Quilter head. It looks nice and sounds great. Really made a difference with the brightness. I used to have treble at 0 and use an Eq pedal to cut even more. Now treble can be anywhere from 9:00 to 12:00.
    The head works great with pedals. Has a lot of dynamics, much more that most solid state amps i've played.
    I also use the effects send as a line out. I send this to a cabinet emulation(IR) pedal and it sounds great for recording or live gigs with in-Ear monitors.
    I have other amps for jazz, and mostly use the Quilter on Pop and Rock gigs but it can sound quite close to those other amps.
    If you a want darker Polytone sound, there's other options. The DV amps seem cool for this, I have been interested in checking those out lately.
    I previously had the Pro Block. Has a different EQ, I found the lower mids to be a bit honky as someone described.
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 03-28-2021 at 11:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I looked at the DV Mark heads available. On GC there are 20 different types and variants. For $500 and under there are 11. Of those only 3 have a single channel. 2 are labeled "Jazz" amp heads. The cheaper of the is the 50 watt verizon at $299. The other, 60 watt, selles for $349.
    My only thought is that would not prefer an amp head that preformed to the "Little jazz". For $399 you can get the Little jazz combo.

Price is not the exclusive determinant. Just a means to separate these amps from one another.

User Info Menu

BTW DV Mark Micro Jazz 60 Head is now on sale with Musicans Friend. Price $269, $80 discount normally $359.

User Info Menu

DV Mark Micro 50 ad Micro 60 are the same thing with different optics: 50W to 8 ohm, 60W to 4 ohm, whichever comes first. All versions share the same Clean channel, but the Jazz version lacks overdrive (an on-board effect) while costing as much if not more. I have two, a 1st generation blue and a black M (Metal). The latter because it's more versatile as a demo amp. For those who find the Quilter 101R too bright, DV Mark is a nicely priced option. Whether the Micro 50 is the same amp as on DV Mark combos, I don't know. Anyway, a separate head liberates you from the combo's stock speaker(s). DV Mark is secretive and discloses next to nothing about their speakers. I have reason to believe that their 12" line falls way short of the 99-101 dB sensitivity typical of Jensens, Celestions and Eminences of this caliber.

User Info Menu

The sound of the DV Mark head and the Little Jazz is very similar. The combo lacks the second input and the overdrive channel, both of which I don't use. I kept the Little Jazz because of its portability and convenience - everything on one box, no need for a separate head to carry. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it's just a matter of personal preference.

User Info Menu

Have the Quilter 101, and it’s definitely Bright. Tried it thru an EVM 12L in a Thiel cabinet which usually smooths out anything, but not the Quilter. It’ll be headed out once things settle down, I’ve tried pre-EQ, pre amp pedals, no luck for me in a trad jazz tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have owned both the 101 and 101R. I returned one and sold the other. They both had a nasal sound that I just couldn't dial out, and I could not find a setting that I really liked. I must admit that I'm not a fan of the Fender sound. I owned a DV Mark head and sold it, because it was so much of a duplicate of the Little Jazz, which I don't intend to sell because it's so transportable and sounds so good. I have an AI Clarus head, the original Series I, and that's what I use most of the time when I want a head. I also have a GK MB200, which is also a wonderful jazz head, but more airy and transparent, more treble, than the Clarus, and I use it, but not quite as much as the Clarus. I play them all through a Raezer's Edge Stealth 10ER. If you're a fan of the Fender tone, you will probably like the 101, because Quilter seems to be trying to duplicate that. I'm not, and I don't. YMMV.
    I had a 101r and a 201r and a Tone Block 200. I really tried to like them but I'll echo that they all have a nasal sound that is hard to dial out. Too much compression or something. As far as the Fender sound, I'm one who likes that and didn't find it in the Quilters.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thank you for all of the comments and thoughts. Major take away it can be highly subjective based on cab, speaker, human factor........

User Info Menu

Today I receive delivery on a Raezors Edge Custom Mini 6" cab. Going to A/B both the Quilter 101R and the DV Mark Jazz 60. Should be interesting.

User Info Menu

Great analysis. I did notice the DV Mark Jazz 60, 60 watts at 4 ohms.
    I am getting the gold face model DV Mark 60. I assume they have another version coming as Musicans friend are selling them with a heavy discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    DV Mark Micro 50 ad Micro 60 are the same thing with different optics: 50W to 8 ohm, 60W to 4 ohm, whichever comes first. All versions share the same Clean channel, but the Jazz version lacks overdrive (an on-board effect) while costing as much if not more. I have two, a 1st generation blue and a black M (Metal). The latter because it's more versatile as a demo amp. For those who find the Quilter 101R too bright, DV Mark is a nicely priced option. Whether the Micro 50 is the same amp as on DV Mark combos, I don't know. Anyway, a separate head liberates you from the combo's stock speaker(s). DV Mark is secretive and discloses next to nothing about their speakers. I have reason to believe that their 12" line falls way short of the 99-101 dB sensitivity typical of Jensens, Celestions and Eminences of this caliber.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    As I see it, for a jazz guitarist there's three great 50W micro-amps to choose from: Quilter, DV Mark (now 60W but that's just optics) and Milkman. They're different. Quilter is bright/Fenderesque, has a great reverb and weighs just a half of the DV Mark. That, in turn, is darker and, IMHO, more of a jazz amp, but the reverb has a chorusy-tipsy flavor disliked by many. I haven't tried the Milkman, as it's a lot more expensive and you can't have them all. I'm not commenting on overdrive, because I don't understand it and people have stomp boxes for that anyway.
    I am one of those. IF you use reverb, I think the Quilter verb sounds very nice, while the DV Mark's sounds chorusy and metallic. However, I've only used Quilter MicroPro and Aviator combos, so I can't speak about their small heads. I don't find the Quilter Combos to be too bright, maybe it's just the small heads that are.

User Info Menu

My experience with Quilter 101R are similar with others: overly too bright, nasal but great reverb.

So I sold it and bought the Tone Block 202 – and can’t be happier! It is perfect! It is so perfect that now I have two of them! The first is installed in a 12” combo cab (Tweed Deluxe cabin in fact, with a Jensen Tornado in it) and the other is in a 10” combo cab. (Dimensions from Polytone Teeny B.)

I bought the TB202 because of the another voicing, Full Q, which I thought to be better for classic jazz sounds. But the basic voising and powerful EQs make me play my jazzs and rocks thru Vintage sound.

I have two tube amps too but the Quilter combo is so light and solid solution that usually I take it to gigs and rehearsals.

I had the DV head for a while too but its reverb made me feel claustrophobic. And for me the darkness that many like in DV is only lack of headroom. Quilter TB202 has a plenty of headroom but I can turn it dark too.

So I highly recommend to test the TB202!

I think that they might a bit popular, I searched almost for a year to find an used one here in EU.

User Info Menu

Quilter 101R mini amp head thoughts, experiences...-aadc3d8e-16ba-4d90-9d6c-b6d7cce30d52-jpg

My Quilter TB202 tweeded.