The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 111

User Info Menu

The tubescreamer works well for some stuff but I feel I want something a little creamier for more legato/horn like sounds.

Any recommendations? Doesn’t have to be fancy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe something in the Klon clone vein? I have both a Wampler Tumnus and an Electro-harmonix Soul Food. There are lots of video demos on Klon styled pedals. The Soul Food probably isn’t as faithful, but is an absolutely great pedal for the price.

User Info Menu

Mike stern uses a boss ds-1 and a boss bd-2 waza craft. I have both. They are excellent pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

These days the simulators even seem to be a good idea.

User Info Menu

I think you'll want to look into "dumble style" overdrives, and that's a rabbit hole. Basically, thick overdrives that retain clarity, and have a smooth attack. I've been through a boatload of them. Honestly, they are all good... many use the word "dumble" in their description, but don't let that throw you off... it's really just a word that is now used for that style of overdrive. I'll give you a list of ones I've owned, and some have very cheap 100% clones, which I have also owned.

Zendrive (Joyo Taichi is a 100% clone)
    BB Preamp (joyo Zip Amp is a 100% clone, and I think this is a REALLY good one)
    Rockett the Dude
    Barber Small Fry
    ...honeslty, I've been through so many, I can't even remember. On the cheap, that Joyo Zip Amp is actually pretty awesome. I currently have the Dude on my board, filling this role.

the Plimsoul is another one of these, but I've never owned that one. Mad Professor Simble/Twimble (too bright for me, despite demo videos)

the BB Preamp/Joyo Zip Amp is a fine place to start, to see if you're even barking up the right tree. You can't go wrong with a Dude however. If you have questions about any pedal specifically, just ask, I've owned alot of these fusion/Dumble pedals over the years.

Actually- I have one for sale right now in the emporium here, a Gtown Amps HolyGrail. It's a good one too, I just personally prefer the Dude better with my amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dlew919
    Mike stern uses a boss ds-1 and a boss bd-2 waza craft. I have both. They are excellent pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well I have a ds1, which is currently in the naughty corner. Maybe I can give it another try. I do find it dreadfully fizzy though.

User Info Menu

Maybe it’s just the demos but The Dude sounds a bit NWOBHM to me....

might help if I’m more specific. I want a smooth Holdsworth style overdrive. I think this drive was actually not that heavy; I understand Alan preferred to overdrive amps rather than use a pedal.

So I’m thinking Klon style transparent overdrives might be a good idea.

User Info Menu

I sometimes use a Behringer Vintage Tube Monster Overdrive for that stuff. It uses a tube (12ax7 I think?!), and you can alter the sound a lot by swapping that one out. It's kinda cheap by the way. I think i paid less then 50€.

I recorded this tune with that pedal:

[ES-335 Style Guitar>Behringer>Fender Bassman]
    I know the tune is not too guitar-centric, but it might still give you an idea of the pedal in a Jazz-context

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Maybe it’s just the demos but The Dude sounds a bit NWOBHM to me....

might help if I’m more specific. I want a smooth Holdsworth style overdrive. I think this drive was actually not that heavy; I understand Alan preferred to overdrive amps rather than use a pedal.

So I’m thinking Klon style transparent overdrives might be a good idea.
    What does NWOBHM mean? Nevermind, I googled. I don't use the Dude anything like that. It's simply a great, thick, easy to dial in, overdrive. It can turn a little PRRI into a Marshall. It's a great "dirty channel" pedal. It's great on a bridge pickup for RAWK, and great on a neck pickup for a more fusion-y thing, which is how I use it.

I have a Klone- it's a great OD for certain things, but fusion isn't one of them, IMO.

You could always try to find one of these:
    ALLAN HOLDSWORTH OVERDRIVE / BOOST (Retired) – J. Rockett Audio Designs

What’s a nice drive for fusion?-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I sometimes use a Behringer Vintage Tube Monster Overdrive for that stuff. It uses a tube (12ax7 I think?!), and you can alter the sound a lot by swapping that one out. It's kinda cheap by the way. I think i paid less then 50€.

I recorded this tune with that pedal:

[ES-335 Style Guitar>Behringer>Fender Bassman]
    I know the tune is not too guitar-centric, but it might still give you an idea of the pedal in a Jazz-context

Paul
    Forgot to add: you should skip some Minutes on that link. The Song doesn't really Start until about 3 Minutes in.

User Info Menu

I’m also aware that trying to get this sound with a Tele may also be a fools errand.

TBH I think I’ll be happy with anything recommended above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    What does NWOBHM mean? Nevermind, I googled. I don't use the Dude anything like that. It's simply a great, thick, easy to dial in, overdrive. It can turn a little PRRI into a Marshall. It's a great "dirty channel" pedal. It's great on a bridge pickup for RAWK, and great on a neck pickup for a more fusion-y thing, which is how I use it.

I have a Klone- it's a great OD for certain things, but fusion isn't one of them, IMO.

You could always try to find one of these:
    ALLAN HOLDSWORTH OVERDRIVE / BOOST (Retired) – J. Rockett Audio Designs

What’s a nice drive for fusion?-jpg
    OK I’ll give it a go.

User Info Menu

NWOBHM was the classic raging Marshall sound.

But i ordered one anyway and we’ll see if it’ll get me close to what I want.

User Info Menu

NWOBHM was the classic raging Marshall sound.

But i ordered one anyway and we’ll see if it’ll get me close to what I want.
    Ordered which? The Dude? I know the Holdsworth pedal is discontinued...

User Info Menu

Your pedal is the Maxon SD9. Best for fusion style and legato playing. Scott Henderson main pedal for that kind of things.

User Info Menu

The Mad Professor Simble is actually a very cool pedal, if you’re into Dumble-style sound:

Obviously no affiliation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Ordered which? The Dude? I know the Holdsworth pedal is discontinued...
    The Dude. Looks versatile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo
    The Mad Professor Simble is actually a very cool pedal, if you’re into Dumble-style sound:

The Simble and Twimble both sounded great in the demos, but when I got a Twimble, it was far too bright for me to do anything with it. The guy that demos those pedals- Marko Karhu, makes everything sound amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo

I have one and I concur.

User Info Menu

The tubescreamer works well for some stuff but I feel I want something a little creamier for more legato/horn like sounds.

Any recommendations? Doesn’t have to be fancy.
    I've been searching for an embeddable image for some time, now, alas! with no results. May I strongly recommend the Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive. It has a well-voiced three-band EQ section for wide-ranging tone to taste, as well as a very tube-toned gain control. You can craft some very fine tones with this, from subtle throb to raging stackitosoty with the twist of a knob or four. Very sturdily built, its hefty metal case is nigh indestructible and doesn't take up many square inches on the floor or your pedalboard, if you have one. Thick, creamy mids on demand! Turn your Princeton* Charming into a Dumble-esque dragon at the press of a switch.

Seriously, this is a great overdrive and rivals the best of my amps for tone - I've got a Brownface Vibroverb and a 50 watt Plexi, not to mention a wide-panel Tweed Deluxe with a field-coil speaker, to mention only three amps for comparison, and believe me, this is a whole lotta real close in a lot less space/weight.

In my humble opinion, well worth the time/money to find out.

* My DRRI just eats this up.

User Info Menu

Fulltone OCD is my go-to. It's hard to describe these things, but I find it less gritty sounding than either a TS or a Zendrive, with a bigger range of gain.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Fulltone OCD is my go-to. It's hard to describe these things, but I find it less gritty sounding than either a TS or a Zendrive, with a bigger range of gain.

John
    See, that's funny, because when I had an OCD, I thought it was very gritty- anything but smooth LOL.

User Info Menu

Considerations are what amp are you playing. Do you start with a totally Clean tone or Semi Overdriven tone a la Scofield?

I've been down this rabbit hole for years, and here a re a couple I really like
    They are somewhat different from each other.

1.) Jetter Red Shift or Red Squared
    2.) Strymon Sunset
    3.) Lovepedal Eternity Burst
    4.) Barber Gain Changer
    5.) One Pedals Strawberry Overdrive, Persian Green Screamer
    6.) JH S Andy Timmons overdrive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Considerations are what amp are you playing. Do you start with a totally Clean tone or Semi Overdriven tone a la Scofield?

I've been down this rabbit hole for years, and here a re a couple I really like
    They are somewhat different from each other.

1.) Jetter Red Shift or Red Squared
    2.) Strymon Sunset
    3.) Lovepedal Eternity Burst
    4.) Barber Gain Changer
    5.) One Pedals Strawberry Overdrive, Persian Green Screamer
    6.) JH S Andy Timmons overdrive
    I have a Barber Small Fry, it's not bad at all. I used to have the JHS Timmons, but to me that's a little more hot-rodded Marshall. I guess if you turned the gain down, and messed with the compression switch, you could get a good fusion-y tone out of it. I now have the JHS Angry Charlie v3, I prefer it for it's expanded EQ section.

I tried one of the Jetters, the GS124 I think, and I found it way too compressed for me.

The truth is, alot of these pedals, including a plain old TS9, could do the trick. Beyond that, you're getting into nuances, really. But it's fun buying/trying/comparing new stuff.

User Info Menu

It the price doesn't bother you or you can find one used .. How about the Tom Quayle one ... I mean ffs .. It's even called the Dual Fusion