The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker on the forum, but I'm pretty sure this is my first post. I recently acquired my first archtop, a '56 ES-135 (basically an ES-125 with inlays and binding). The guitar is great, but it came with an old gig bag that reeks of cigarettes. I picked up a Reunion Blues Continental dreadnought bag to replace it, based on several threads from the forum in which folks noted the bag readily fits 16" archtops (and the fact that I've been quite pleased with another RB solid-body bag).

I found, however, that the dreadnought bag is a little bit of a tight fit over the bridge; zipping the bag requires some gentle downward pressure on the foam lining (though after letting the guitar sit in the case for a while, the foam seems to be conforming). Perhaps more concerning, the tip of the tilted headstock just barely touches the foam padding on the back of the case, despite the elevated neck rest -- which leads me to worry how it might fair if it took a knock from the back.

My question is for those who use RB bags to transport their archtops. Have you found the fit to be similar? And have you found it to be a non-issue? Or should I be concerned? I'm probably going to order a Mono dreadnought bag to compare fit, as it looks like it suspends the headstock a little higher from the back of the bag.

Thanks,
    Ben

'56 ES-135 and Question on Reunion Blues Continental Fit-img_8328-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome and Happy New Guitar Day. I don't know about the RB gig bag but I would probably never transport a guitar with a tilted headstock in a gig back - a sturdy case would be much safer.

User Info Menu

I have one of those foam cases for my ES-125, a dreadnaught model case. That fits very well, offers the protection of a case and has all the advantages of a gig bag: very lightweight (lighter than my leather ProBag), straps for carrying it on your back and additional compartments for sheet music and accessories. Plus: a lot cheaper than Reunion Blues and Mono. Very happy with that case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Twanger
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker on the forum, but I'm pretty sure this is my first post. I recently acquired my first archtop, a '56 ES-135 (basically an ES-125 with inlays and binding). The guitar is great, but it came with an old gig bag that reeks of cigarettes. I picked up a Reunion Blues Continental dreadnought bag to replace it, based on several threads from the forum in which folks noted the bag readily fits 16" archtops (and the fact that I've been quite pleased with another RB solid-body bag).

I found, however, that the dreadnought bag is a little bit of a tight fit over the bridge; zipping the bag requires some gentle downward pressure on the foam lining (though after letting the guitar sit in the case for a while, the foam seems to be conforming). Perhaps more concerning, the tip of the tilted headstock just barely touches the foam padding on the back of the case, despite the elevated neck rest -- which leads me to worry how it might fair if it took a knock from the back.

My question is for those who use RB bags to transport their archtops. Have you found the fit to be similar? And have you found it to be a non-issue? Or should I be concerned? I'm probably going to order a Mono dreadnought bag to compare fit, as it looks like it suspends the headstock a little higher from the back of the bag.

Thanks,
    Ben

'56 ES-135 and Question on Reunion Blues Continental Fit-img_8328-jpg
    That's a fine-looking rig. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I have one of those foam cases for my ES-125, a dreadnaught model case. That fits very well, offers the protection of a case and has all the advantages of a gig bag: very lightweight (lighter than my leather ProBag), straps for carrying it on your back and additional compartments for sheet music and accessories. Plus: a lot cheaper than Reunion Blues and Mono. Very happy with that case.
    The polyfoam option is intriguing. Which manufacturer made your case?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Twanger
    The polyfoam option is intriguing. Which manufacturer made your case?
    I don’t know, I got it for peanuts off a dutch fleabay-site and there’s no brand anywhere.

But guitarists around here are very enthusiastic about the SKB Softcase:

SKB 1SKB-SC18 softcase voor akoestische gitaar dreadnought kopen? | Bax Music