The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

Do any of you guys have experience with the Ibanez AF105?

My budget is 1,000, and this is one of the few hollow bodies I could find that met the budget.

Recommendations are very welcome!

Ibanez Artcore AF105-ibanez-af105-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I owned that same guitar but with the floating pickup. I bought it blind because it looked so pretty, but i did not anticipate how thin it was. It was closer in thickness to a 335 or thinline hollowbody than a real fat jazz guitar. I sold it after playing it 1 time. It was just ok. If your budget is $1000 that is a pretty wide open field, especially if you are willing to look used.

What about the Ibanez was interesting to you? What kind of features are you wanting in an archtop? I can probably help you out as i just went through this exact exercise a few months ago.
    Last edited by spiral; 02-23-2010 at 01:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I own an AF105, single floating PU model. I also own a 1956 L4C, a Heritage Eagle Classic as well as a 335. I bought the AF105 because I wanted something that I was not afraid to haul around. I find that I play it more than the other guitars, but I tend to favor one guitar at any different time.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fine workmanship and finish of my instrument, though I understand that Chinese guitars vary in quality. The fretwork was good. I replaced the tune 0 matic bridge with a rosewood bridge. The action is very good. The body is thinner than a 175 but it is much thicker than a 335. It is a plywood guitar, but I thought that the acoustic sound was decent. The pickup is serviceable but the other electronics are mediocre at best. I replaced the pots and the cap and it made a huge difference in the sound.

One thing: I would not pay 899 for it. I bought mine in just about mint condition for 550 on ebay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson L4CES
    I own an AF105, single floating PU model. I also own a 1956 L4C, a Heritage Eagle Classic as well as a 335. I bought the AF105 because I wanted something that I was not afraid to haul around. I find that I play it more than the other guitars, but I tend to favor one guitar at any different time.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fine workmanship and finish of my instrument, though I understand that Chinese guitars vary in quality. The fretwork was good. I replaced the tune 0 matic bridge with a rosewood bridge. The action is very good. The body is thinner than a 175 but it is much thicker than a 335. It is a plywood guitar, but I thought that the acoustic sound was decent. The pickup is serviceable but the other electronics are mediocre at best. I replaced the pots and the cap and it made a huge difference in the sound.

One thing: I would not pay 899 for it. I bought mine in just about mint condition for 550 on ebay.
    What do you mean it's a 'plywood guitar'? Ibanez' website says 'maple top back and sides'. I know it's not solid maple, but I assumed it's just a maple laminate. When I think of plywood I think of the stuff someone might use to make the back and sides of a drawer, not a guitar.

User Info Menu

I am not going to remove the bindings to check, but I doubt if there is a solid piece of wood beneath the laminate. This is standard on a number of archtops including the ES175 and most of the imports. They use a molded as opposed carved piece of multi-layered (plywood?) wood for the top, back as well as the sides. My L4C has a carved solid top but the sides are molded plywood. The avoidance of the term "Plywood" is a smart marketing decision. Who wants to pay 2K for a plywood ES175?

User Info Menu

So if it's a laminated maple top, does that mean that the laminate layer is maple or does it mean that the plywood underneath is maple, too? Does it make a difference in sound what kind of wood the plywood is made of?

User Info Menu

I am not going to remove the bindings to check, but I doubt if there is a solid piece of wood beneath the laminate. This is standard on a number of archtops including the ES175 and most of the imports. They use a molded as opposed carved piece of multi-layered (plywood?) wood for the top, back as well as the sides. My L4C has a carved solid top but the sides are molded plywood. The avoidance of the term "Plywood" is a smart marketing decision. Who wants to pay 2K for a plywood ES175?
    Ok so the term plywood is used to mean different layers of wood, which are, in this case maple, at least on the top one anyway, but not the normal garbage that plywood is usually made out of. Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

I own in my collection AF105 (105F version). I have this guitar since 2005. I've searched good guitar in pricerange to 700$. I bought it on eBay in States [I'm from Poland], no problem. Firstlly it was a little bit too bright for me, too "bluesy". Then I changed pickup to Benedetto S-6, added Fishmann piezzo, strings LaBella's Black Nylon. Now, it's awesome guitar: warm sound [this is very good guitar unplugged also!], very good finish [as for cheap guitar from china] and so easy while playing [that is the strong side of Ibanez guitar - "easy" neck]. I recommend it as first, second,... last guitar as well. Very good choice [if not the best ] in this price range. IMHO the differences between guitars in pricerange <2500$ and AF105 aren't big, so why spent more money?

Btw Kingpin isn't as pretty as AF105 ;p
    Last edited by asedas; 02-24-2010 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra
    What do you mean it's a 'plywood guitar'? Ibanez' website says 'maple top back and sides'. I know it's not solid maple, but I assumed it's just a maple laminate. When I think of plywood I think of the stuff someone might use to make the back and sides of a drawer, not a guitar.
    Plywood is laminate. The words are used interchangeably when it comes to guitars. The word laminate has a more refined sound and connotation to it compared with the word plywood. Gibson ES-175, Ibanez AF105 : both plywood (laminate) guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    So if it's a laminated maple top, does that mean that the laminate layer is maple or does it mean that the plywood underneath is maple, too? Does it make a difference in sound what kind of wood the plywood is made of?
    The plys could all be maple, or it could be just maple on the outer plys with something different on the inner. The number of plys, the thickness of each, what they're made of and the overall thickness of the entire laminate will affect the sound. The higher-end manufacturers (GIbson being the most notable) will either actually make the laminate themselves, or have it custom made according to their specs. It's part the 'secret recipe' that determines the overall sound. You can't order this stuff through Home Depot. An ES-175 is an all laminate (plywood) guitar, but nobody other than Gibson has ever made another guitar that sounds exactly like it. Which might seem strange considering that it's 'just a plywood guitar'. But apparently there's more than meets the eye going on when it comes to this stuff. Most of the Gibson 'archtops' are plywood (ES-165/175, Tal Farlow, ES-350, ES330/335/345, the old Es120/125/225 etc etc).

So here's a little update.

After some looking, I was fortunate enough to have stumbled upon some fella selling his Ibanez Af105 in the local area! Funny thing is he lives rather close to my house too.

Anywhom, He's been playing 20 years and is mainly a classical guitarist. He picked up this jazz box when his Bassist buddy kept urging him to get a Jazz guitar so that they can start a duet, and he did.
    Long story short, it never ended up happening and so he didn't play her more than 2 days then stuck it back in the case. The guitar is almost virtually new, and hasn't got a scratch on her. He came over today and I set it up on my rig and messed around with the looping station and stuff like that.
    Sweet guitar, overall I was pleased with it, it's a real looker. Although the tone is closer my ideal sound of a jazz guitar, I thought it was still far too bright. Was it because it didn't have flatwound strings?
    Anywhom, I'm going to purchase it this Saturday; for $700. He's including the hard case with the deal, so I'm going to end up saving some 300 odd dollars, not bad!
    Taking suggestions on pickups to modify the Custom 58 Humbuckers it brings.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! I think that you will enjoy playing the guitar for a long time. When I got mine I thought it was a bit bright also. I put changed the strings to Thomastik 12's, and changed the tune-o-matic bridge to a rosewood bridge. I also put in new pots and changed the capacitor on the tone pot. This had a positive impact on the tone. I would try that before changing the pickups. The cost is minimal and it is not too hard to do. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Yeah the flatwounds and the bridge change will do the trick. When it was new it should have come with a wood bridge in addition to the TOM, and the case was probably part of the deal. It is listed as 'includes case' on all the websites I've seen anyway.

Out of curiosity, which colour is it? Vintage Burst, Natural?

Yeah, thinking back to it, there were two bridges. The TOM, and he already had the wood one installed.

@Gibson
    "I also put in new pots and changed the capacitor on the tone pot."

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are you referring to when you say pots?

@abracadabra
    It's the natural finish, I'll post some pics as soon as I purchase it on Saturday.

User Info Menu

Pots = potentiometers. They cost between 3-5 dollars. You will need two for each pickup. You will also need a capacitor for the tone potentiometer. I have the one pickup (floating) model. It took about a 1/2 hour to change them out. It will probably take longer if you have the 2 pu model.

User Info Menu

Pots = potentiometers. They cost between 3-5 dollars. You will need two for each pickup. You will also need a capacitor for the tone potentiometer. I have the one pickup (floating) model. It took about a 1/2 hour to change them out. It will probably take longer if you have the 2 pu model.
    Put a different way -- pots are the volume and tone controls on your guitar.

Pots come in different values. For a humbucker, you generally use 500k Ohm pots, although you can use a different value to change the tone. The challenge in changing pots in a hollowbody or semi-hollow is that there's no access panel as there is in many solid bodies, so you need to fish the pots out via the f-hole.

The tone cap is soldered to the tone pot. Typical value is 0.020 uf (microfarads) although, again, using a different value will change the tone.

User Info Menu

Just won this on an ebay auction; less than half retail price in UK and in seemingly mint condition. £325 paid, around £650-£700 new here.
    It was a bit of a spur of the moment buy; I have sold a Levinson Blade for quite a bit more as I never used it, and just got the 'rush of blood'!

Tell me I haven't made a big mistake... Or if I have, then lie a little.

Cheers
    Phil

User Info Menu

The AF105 is consided to be "Artcore custom" and has custom 58 pickups, as well as a 5 piece neck. It's a step up from the AF95 and they seem to hold thier value well. I'd say you got a good deal. I'm curious about the headstock inlay, as Ibanez changed the design over the years.

User Info Menu

I looked at a used one this week that was at $650.00 US. Very nice guitar and I love the Super 58 pickups. Before I could do anything it was gone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by caravan
    The AF105 is consided to be "Artcore custom" and has custom 58 pickups, as well as a 5 piece neck. It's a step up from the AF95 and they seem to hold thier value well. I'd say you got a good deal. I'm curious about the headstock inlay, as Ibanez changed the design over the years.
    Yes, I think you're right. Mine is not the 'new one' which seems to be a funky blue/white design, but is the older one - lightening in a circle I think.
    I think the new headstock is brown as well (which looks quite nice) and mine appears to be black in the pictures. Although there actually isn't a clear pic of the headstock. The guitar's a few years old but is described in almost mint condition and hardly ever played.
    So we'll see - it's cash on collection so if I see some super glue and nails coming out of the headstock I'll be leaving empty handed! I always print out the sellers details when picking something up from an ebay seller. Just in case I spot something which I believe should have been described but wasn't, so there's no argument.
    It does appear to have everything else though - the seller confirmed that it had the additional wooden bridge which has never been used. I presume that the pick ups aren't gold painted blanks...

Phil

User Info Menu

Ibanez is well known for producing very good Jazz guitars for a good retail rpice. So If you got money of the retail price and the guitar is "as good as new" then you're home free.

If you want a solid Jazzer ...

User Info Menu

woyvel, there's a difference between custom 58 and super 58 pickups.

User Info Menu

Just to give an update.
    I picked the guitar up today. It's in A1 condition; basically, it has hardly been played. One tiny tiny nick on the headstock. Other than that it looks new. Zero fret wear. Couple of nicks on the case.
    It was purchased new in 2007 and has the 'old' Ibanez headstock on it ie black with the lightening stripe in a circle. Other than that is it the same spec as a new AF105.
    It came with all the orginal stuff including case etc. The wooden bridge is still in it's poly bag.
    Unfortunately it has rather light roundwound strings on it. It has been so long since I played anything with such light strings that I thought I had grown super strong fingers! They are not to my liking! Anyway, it looks absolutely beautiful and the neck seems to be made for my rather small hands.
    I have a Peerless Manhattan also and I honestly think that the Ibanez is at least as well made/finished. And the neck just feels a little more comfortable to play to me anyway. And the 16 inch body vs 17 inch of the Manhattan is just more comfortable for me.
    So I am a happy bunny for now. Need to get it set up with some larger flatwounds and if I'm still happy I'll probably sell the Peerless. It's a great guitar but I just seem to be enjoying this AF105 more. But of course this is after a few hours. I'll give it a couple of weeks or so and see how it goes.
    Phil
    Last edited by Philly112; 07-21-2011 at 12:04 PM.

User Info Menu

So is this one of the older floating pickup ones? I like those!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark
    So is this one of the older floating pickup ones? I like those!
    No, it has two set humbuckers.

Phil