The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philly112
    No, it has two set humbuckers.

Phil
    Ah, cool. Either way. It is a very good guitar. I really considered one of these when the H575 turned up in my wheelhouse.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had the 105F version (floating pickup) and was really impressed with the quality. It played really well and the attention to detail was top-notch. The floating pickup sounded terrible though, but if you are going to pick something to cut corners on, that is where i would prefer it. The guitar itself was great. Pretty too. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Thanks chaps. Still playing it, but the light strings are playing havoc with my fingers! Like playing cheesewire. I need to put it down. I've ordered some 13-52 Daddario flatwounds. I string the Peerless with these so I am quite used to them. Just didn't have a spare set...
    I am almost a little upset that this guitar is better made than the Manhattan. I was expecting at least the pickup selector to be a bit 'vague' but it is very positive with no play whatsoever.
    But, early days... I am seeing/hearing the positive at the moment; the buzzes will probably start appearing shortly!
    Oh, and it sounds lovely through my Jazzkat. Maybe a little bright, but I've still got the tuneomatic on it. I'm sure with the heavier flatwounds and wooden bridge it will sound even better.
    Quite a range of sounds too. I could certainly see this being used in a rock or blues setting. The bridge pickup is quite punchy.

Phil

User Info Menu

Liking the AF105 so far? The necks on the Artcore Custom line are just fantastic. Good attention to detail. I used to own an AF105 and loved it. Now I have an AK105SM I love just a little more.

User Info Menu

Just a quick update.
    I changed the strings on Saturday and changed the bridge to the wooden one at the same time.
    I was a little bit disappointed. It just didn't play or sound quite as I wanted it to. I couldn't put my finger on it, it just wasn't right. I though that maybe it would need a decent set up with the heavier strings. So I was going to adjust the truss rod. Or maybe get someone to do this for me. Anway before I did that I put the tuneomatic back on.
    Voila. It sounds wonderful again - but with strings I can actually feel.
    I am surprised by this; anyone had a similar experience? I just made an assumption that the wooden bridge would be better for me. But it certainly isn't, at least with my amp. The metal bridge sounds far better.
    Re my comments about it being better made than the Peerless. Well, that was probably a bit of excitement over my new toy. It isn't better made at all. But certainly not worse.
    Acoustically it is FAR worse that the 17 inch Peerless. But i didn't buy it for that. Amplified I just love it. I have played for 3 hours since getting home tonight and the wife is going nuts.
    Thanks for reading.
    Phil

User Info Menu

Hi Ben

yes the 105 is still fine for me, but you are a better guitarist than me so might be a bit more 'picky'.
    I don't think the tuneomatic bridge is great. Mine rattles a bit. But I now use the wooden one and it is better.
    But it sounds and plays great.
    Isn't the one on here the AK105SM version? That is a florentine cut away with a spalted maple top I think. I think that everything else is the same as the AF version though.
    Been away for a couple of weeks so maybe I have missed the AF one for sale.

Cheers
    Phil

User Info Menu

The spalted maple brownish one with the florentine cutaway is the AK105SM. I don't think the AF105 has a splated maple version, but perhaps there is, because there are more AF style models than AK models.

I have an AK105SM and love it. It plays and feels so nice. The AF105 is the same thing, just different cutaway and different top. All the Artcore "Custom" models are underated, great guitars at a very reasonable price.

User Info Menu

i picked her up for 475 from a local music store its missing the pickguard but came with a case. the neck on this thing is like butter
    Ibanez Artcore AF105-dsc04667-jpgIbanez Artcore AF105-dsc04668-jpgIbanez Artcore AF105-dsc04670-jpg

User Info Menu

Congrats! I have one like this one too. As for the Ibanez pickguard, you're not missing anything. It looks pretty terrible. I tossed mine out too. Looks like the previous owner oiled all the wooden parts. Looks great without the pickguard.

Did you find the wooden saddle in the guitar case? Ibanez provided an extra wooden saddle. It sounds better with it. The Jingho TOM saddle is one heavy mutha.

User Info Menu

Congrats !

Yes, the neck and frets are really good ! It's a terrific electric archtop. Nothing to miss compared to the latest models, imo.
    Too bad the finish is so thick that the guitar seems to have been dipped into hot wax: the unplugged sound is weak and lifeless compared to cheaper guitars, like a recent Epiphone Joe Pass.

If you ever order parts from Ibanez, be aware that they do not fit so well: i ordered a rosewood pickguard and rosewood pu rings, look awesome, but i had to drill some extra holes, even though the parts are for an AF-105 SM.

But it now looks really cool. On the bling side, but no too tacky, and again much better looking than the new ones, imo: oh, this dark brown and this pale yellow and the abalone's light blue...

I have to sell mine because i need something more responsive acoustically but i will regret this guitar a lot !

Ibanez Artcore AF105-photo-001-jpgIbanez Artcore AF105-photo-013-jpgIbanez Artcore AF105-img_1484-jpg
    Last edited by xuoham; 11-01-2013 at 01:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats!

I owned an AF105 as well also a AK105. You could order the pickguadr from Ibanez parts dept.

I do agree with xouham that the finishes Ibanez puts on are very thick. It protects the guitar nicely but does dampen the hollow body sound some.

User Info Menu

No day beats NGD--Congratulations! I've never owned an Ibanez before my AF-151, and I have to say I'm impressed with the Artstar "fret edge treatment". It does play like butter, and I agree, some of Ibanez's pickgard offerings border on garish (finish options too). I went for a ebay after-market pickgard to tone things down a bit:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Congrats! I have one like this one too. As for the Ibanez pickguard, you're not missing anything. It looks pretty terrible. I tossed mine out too. Looks like the previous owner oiled all the wooden parts. Looks great without the pickguard.

Did you find the wooden saddle in the guitar case? Ibanez provided an extra wooden saddle. It sounds better with it. The Jingho TOM saddle is one heavy mutha.
    nope there was no wooden saddle. i may or may not replace the TOM, i kinda like the sound as is

User Info Menu

i do agree that the finish is a bit thick. but i also like the tank like feel of it

User Info Menu

I have the AF100 and don't have a problem with the pickguard, I think it's rather correct for the guitar. The body of my AF100 is a bit lifeless though I don't play mine much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I have the AF100 and don't have a problem with the pickguard, I think it's rather correct for the guitar. The body of my AF100 is a bit lifeless though I don't play mine much.
    Your AF100 pickguard is much nicer, though, than the AF105 one.

Here is my take on defusing the AF-105 esthetics, including golden speedknobs. I hasten to add that I like the guitar. It's one out of two I have owned whose amplified sound is so well defined that major EQ'ing is not usually needed on plugging into different (pre-)amps. I also have an AK105, which tends to require a little more attention (it's arguably mellower sounding, but offers less definition on the bass strings).

Ibanez Artcore AF105-af-105-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    Your AF100 pickguard is much nicer, though, than the AF105 one.

Here is my take on defusing the AF-105 esthetics, including golden speedknobs.
    Yeah, If your knobs are original I don't understand why they went away from rosewood knobs, I too like the maple PG.

User Info Menu

nice hunt! I own AF105F (with floating pickup) - very, very good guitar (after few mods ). blondies are the best!
    congratulations and have a nice playin' with it!

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a sunburst dual pickup Ibanez AF105 along with case off ebay for $382 because of the remarks
    I've read, even in other posts about other inexpensive jazz guitars. Most people love the guitar and when they get rid
    of one it seems to be hard to do. I understand now. It sounds good plugged in; full and rich, with heavy flat wounds.
    I took it to my luthier, and asked him to make it play like butter. When I got it back he said he never had to touch the
    frets. He told me it came down easy after straitening the neck. He has never seen action without buzz go down this low.
    It was lower than his electric. He said I could lower it more if I wanted; that the neck and frets are so level he would go
    so far to say they could lay on the frets and I could still play it, it's so level. I'm picky about sound and action; it's got to
    play effortlessly. I had an AFJ 81(horrible), and have played the AFJ 85, AF75's, AF95's, and the AF155. Nothing compares to this AF105. Love it!

User Info Menu

These are really great guitars. I had the floating pickup version for a few months. I sold it to get an Eastman, but honestly, that is one guitar I would have liked to have kept.

User Info Menu

Congratulations !

Do you have the two HB version or the floating version ?

I think that this is the smart move, getting a 2010/2011 Artcore Custom, with the AlNiCo S58Custom PUs.
    The newer Ibanez archtops are well marketed but except the spruce top ones, the 7 strings one and the higher end MIJ ones there is nothing new, AF155 etc... and they don't even look this good.
    The 105 series, besides the tacky pickguard look great, imo.
    Getting a used AF or AK 105 or 125 Artcore Custom is the smart move for sure. I got mine "used" but new with case for 500 bucks, and they are even cheaper now.
    You got a great price ! In what condition is it ? Any pics ?

BTW:
    Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    I sold it to get an Eastman, but honestly, that is one guitar I would have liked to have kept.
    Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    I have to sell mine because i need something more responsive acoustically but i will regret this guitar a lot !
    I didn't sell it ! I love it too much !
    ... and since it sounds very good plugged and is feedback resistant above the average it is a great gigging guitar that one can carry anywhere without worries.
    Last edited by xuoham; 02-07-2014 at 10:12 PM.

User Info Menu

That's a steal of a price. I used to have both an af105 and ak105 at different times.

User Info Menu

I have one too and I love this guitar for jazz. And, I guess tastes vary, but I really like the matching pickguard too.

Ibanez Artcore AF105-ibanez_af105nt-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi. I was going back and forth 14 times a day with "should I ? Shouldn't I ?" I kept getting to 'checkout/paypal and then chickening out and leaving the page..Then it cleared in my brain and I just DID IT already ! I got it for $ 552-ish, used, in 'excellent condition' with shipping and a case from a GC somewhere on the planet..
    Now i need an amp. What is a good amp for about $100 ( I don't need allot of wattage, maybe 15-20 ) as it's just for practicing at this stage. I'm looking at an Acoustic which has lots of other FX. I read CUBE hisses too much. Also may want one which has a battery and vocal channel to conceivably play out doors. I'm a good singer.
    Thanks KIRKP, GNAPPI and others for all the info and support.. Mark

User Info Menu

Congratulations! If the tuneomatic style bridge is too twangy for you try the wood bridge. If it's missing, this one is made to fit the top contour.
    https://www.drumsetc.com/content/iba...-set-2gb1h1wdg
    It greatly improved the tone for me. Others prefer the metal one.
    I've been using Rotosound RS200 Top Tape Monel Flatwound strings (12-52).
    Please report back.
    Last edited by KirkP; 12-19-2015 at 08:25 PM.