The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

I have a Kala. Don't know the model. Seems well made. Came with a very nice case.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don’t know about a baritone as a first uke. I think it’s more for people playing in an ensemble, or somebody with a bunch of ukes who wants to add something a little different to the herd.

IMO the best beginner uke is a concert. Right size, good sound, good price. If you are more polished and playing more solos or chord/melody the tenor is a step up.

The soprano is not very versatile—thought of as almost a toy, though of course many people play them beautifully. I think it fits in with an older repertoire like 1920’s music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    Get a baritone. They are still quite small, are tuned linearly and play in the same key as a guitar. It will make things so much easier for you if you need to help and interpret what she is tryin to learn and play. Ukes that are tuned a fourth up do my head in when looking at some playing the chords or notes and trying to help them. Plus that high top string makes scales sound weird.
    I never tried one, but isn't a baratone almost like a nylon guitar with less strings?

User Info Menu

Yes, a baritone is basically a small 4 string guitar. They're cool, but they don't really sound much like ukuleles.

I have a Martin Tenor, nothing fancy, but I like it. To me, the soul of the uke is in the reentrant tuning. Gotta have that "octave up" string on the bottom.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/37ZeD6zXX-o?feature=share

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisGilliam1
    That's awesome.. Get her a good one! have fun playing together. I wish my wife showed even an iota of interest in uke. She doesn't mind MY interest, though, so I guess that's something.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I have a Kala. Don't know the model. Seems well made. Came with a very nice case.
    Me too

User Info Menu

Awesome pick! I'm totally into the ukulele sound too and thinking of diving into learning it myself. Found some fresh and cool covers at New ukulele covers - Ukulele Tabs that I'm itching to play for my friends. It's like, the more tunes, the merrier, right?
    Last edited by benhatchins; 12-14-2023 at 05:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a nice tenor Kala, so I’m sure she’ll enjoy hers. If I were getting serious about ukuleles, I’d look at the huge line from Cordoba. My Cordoba C7 classical guitar is wonderful, and I’d expect nothing less from their ukes. Ukuleles Archive - Cordoba Guitars