The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I'd like to try a plain g-string on my ES 330. The other strings are a standard set of flatwound TI jazz swing .012: .012, .016, w.020 (g-string), .027, .037, .050 Which gauge would you recommend for the plain 3rd string? I hope to get a bit more sustain out of the plain string.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I`ve done this with my archtop. Peter Leitch was the first guy I met who used a thick plain G on an archtop.
    The danger is if the string is too stiff it can be nasal sounding. I originally used a .24 with my D`Addario Half Round 12`s but found the .22 worked better. There is a D`Addario 12 (EXL145) set that comes with a plain G at .20 ... That felt a little light to me but the TI's tend to feel lighter that the D'Addarios of the same gauge.
    Beats me ....22?

User Info Menu

Thank you, I think I just order one of each from .018, .020 to .022 and try what I'll like. ;-)

User Info Menu

I'll try 20 gauge plain. Plain Gs get troublesome the heavier the gauge you go with.

Wound or plain G

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    I'd like to try a plain g-string on my ES 330. The other strings are a standard set of flatwound TI jazz swing .012: .012, .016, w.020 (g-string), .027, .037, .050 Which gauge would you recommend for the plain 3rd string? I hope to get a bit more sustain out of the plain string.
    The T-I Jazz Bebop (round wound) 12 gauge set runs 12, 16, 20(plain), 28, 36, 50

User Info Menu

just remember you are going to have to adjust your g bridge saddle for correct intonation

also the plain string is going to have more magnetic interaction with pickups..as its plain steel...may have to lower the polepiece a tad

cheers

User Info Menu

I always use .019 for unwound G on archtops. Works great.

User Info Menu

PTChris used to advise no larger than 0.018 for Gs. I have gone as high as 0.024s but have had much better luck with 0.018s. YMMV.

User Info Menu

Who is PTChris? Yes, I've searched before asking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Who is PTChris? Yes, I've searched before asking.
    chris was a prolific and well informed poster from years ago. He was skilled in making and repairing guitars. Astute and generous and funny as hell. I miss his wit and wisdom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    ... advise no larger than 0.018 for Gs. I have gone as high as 0.024s but have had much better luck with 0.018s. YMMV.
    That would be .018 max for a plain G. Certainly one can get great sounds from a wound G of greater diameter than .018”.
    Last edited by Bezoeker; 02-09-2021 at 09:46 PM.