The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hello all. Been searching the 'net, can't find anything on this. Do any of you know what that thing is he as on his headstock? Some kind of damper? Almost every picture of him and his guitar shows this thing, and I don't think I've seen it on any other guitar player's guitar (jazz or otherwise). What do you think?

Can anyone tell me what that thing on Herb Ellis' guitar headstock is?-jazz-guitarist-herb-ellis-001-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a George Van Eps string damper. There's an article about it here.
    VintageArchtop.com

User Info Menu

I know what it is but I can’t say I ever have seen the need for it.

Though Scotty Moore and Elvis did use a sponge below the bridge to dampen strings on their 295’s and 175’s, and I think Scotty used the van Eps damper as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I know what it is but I can’t say I ever have seen the need for it.

Though Scotty Moore and Elvis did use a sponge below the bridge to dampen strings on their 295’s and 175’s, and I think Scotty used the van Eps damper as well.
    Jim Hall used the Van Eps damper for a long time, too.

I took lessons for a while from a guy who studied with Van Eps. He had a 7-string Gretsch with one of those. I don't remember how much difference it made,
    These days, people seem to use hair scrunchies at the nut for this. Do with that wording as you wish ...

John

User Info Menu

It’s an anti-theft device. If you try to steal the guitar, it clamps your fingers.

User Info Menu

I've had guitars on which the sympathetic ringing of open strings required some sort of damping. I've never owned a Van Eps damper, but I've used various other devices. What worked best for me was a narrow strip of loop Velcro under the strings up against the nut. I've also tried various materials threaded between the strings outside both the bridge and the nut, hair scrunchies, foam under the tailpiece, magnets on the strings to add weight, and more. The Velcro works best, but it prevents playing open strings. Jennifer Batten sells a device, but I haven't used it. Not all guitars need a damper, but those that do, really need one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Jim Hall used the Van Eps damper for a long time, too.

I took lessons for a while from a guy who studied with Van Eps. He had a 7-string Gretsch with one of those. I don't remember how much difference it made,
    These days, people seem to use hair scrunchies at the nut for this. Do with that wording as you wish ...

John
    Kids these days. Makes me hurt just to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It’s an anti-theft device. If you try to steal the guitar, it clamps your fingers.
    I knew it.

User Info Menu

Jazz guitar is played chiefly between the 4th and 12th frets. Examine the neck wear patterns on instruments from the 30s-60s. It's due to playing with horns... keys of Ab, Eb, Bb.

Ellis, Hall, etc., didn't use open strings, which tended to howl on archtops anyway. Hence, the Van Eps string damper.

User Info Menu

Does anyone think that had anything to do with his phenomenal ability to strum rhythm for OP at those insanely fast tempos?
    Maybe the damper enabled him to do a shorter quicker strum?

User Info Menu

george van eps who not only invented it, but actually made the originals!...in his interview with ted greene, it's stated he designed it to prevent feedback!...van eps practiced in all 12 keys...tuned down his strings a whole step, used low action and was a fingerstylist!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    george van eps who not only invented it, but actually made the originals!...in his interview with ted greene, it's stated he designed it to prevent feedback!...van eps practiced in all 12 keys...tuned down his strings a whole step, used low action and was a fingerstylist!

I used to have a framed version of that cover on my office wall next to one with Chet.