The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hi There

I just got the guitar mentioned above Mann Ibanez Howard Roberts
    can anyone who has a pickguard be so kind as to trace it so i can get a repro made?
    Or maybe someone has one for sale?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thornel Scwartz
    Hi There

can anyone who has a pickguard be so kind as to trace it so i can get a repro made?

Thanks
    Congrats,
    Oh, you forgot the "H" Thorny...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Congrats,
    Oh, you forgot the "H" Thorny...
    May the Scwartz be with you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Congrats, Oh, you forgot the "H" Thorny...
    Thornal to his buds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thornel Scwartz
    Hi There

Thanks
    I'll trace mine and scan it into a PDF for you.

Are you in Canada ? I'm just curious if a Mann-branded guitar ended up outside of Canada.

User Info Menu

Mine's a Gibson 1978 that has been played quite a bit but has held up really well. It had been refretted before I got it, a testament to its professional use for decades. The pickguard needed replacement and the midrange pot was not functional.

A Kalamazoo luthier, who now is a Heritage guitar designer and chief of repairs, made a new pickguard. He also found a replacement pot for the midrange control.

As a kid I had one of the few Epiphone spruce tops made in Kalamazoo. It must have been a Gibson employee's guitar because I got it used at a relatively low price. While it was beautiful, sounded good enough acoustically, and I practiced at least two hours a day, the guitar did not work well at gigs playing blues and rock. I put a removeable post in it to reduce feedback, which helped. But I sold it and wish I hadn't.

The laminated top idea makes sense. It does help tame feedback. Still, it requires thought to set up the stage.

The HR is a beautiful instrument in appearance and sound. It's a harsh mistress, more so than the ES-175, in preventing feedback. But if you follow her rules, all is well.

Japanese MANN Howard Roberts guitar (Ibanez 2453 ?)-25344308807_3d89fe2a01_z-jpgJapanese MANN Howard Roberts guitar (Ibanez 2453 ?)-50464490698_85acd7ccb8_c-jpgJapanese MANN Howard Roberts guitar (Ibanez 2453 ?)-50706090031_9bb38bafea_c-jpgJapanese MANN Howard Roberts guitar (Ibanez 2453 ?)-25344311317_28ed056979_c-jpgJapanese MANN Howard Roberts guitar (Ibanez 2453 ?)-50464489428_fa333ae5af_c-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post Marty. Yours is the real thing; mine is just a facsimile but I'm still glad to have it. They're so unique.

User Info Menu

You're referring to this guitar?

Japanese MANN Howard Roberts guitar (Ibanez 2453 ?)

I had no idea that so many different Japanese branded copies were made of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    You're referring to this guitar?

Japanese MANN Howard Roberts guitar (Ibanez 2453 ?)

I had no idea that so many different Japanese branded copies were made of it.
    Yes. That's my 'facsimilie'. Apparently this same guitar was sold around the world with a number of different names on the headstock.