Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    My1964 ES 125 through the Polytone Mini Brute IV. Very much inspired by Tal's 1950s take. I like the vintage bop sound of this combination very much.

    DB


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Absolutely enjoyable again - both playing and tone. How about a street broom next?

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I love that sound.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Perfect.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    It just doesn't get better than that! Great tune, great playing, great sound. That's how I want to play when I grow up! I kept vacillating between thinking of Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, or, maybe best, Doug Raney.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    That is just tremendous DB and granted the guitar has great sound it still requires the player to make it..........you got that correct!

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Dick change your handle to Thunkmaster.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Tal tone

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    My1964 ES 125 through the Polytone Mini Brute IV. Very much inspired by Tal's 1950s take. I like the vintage bop sound of this combination very much.

    DB

    That's a great combination. Gorgeous sound and playing.
    Is your MBIV the version with just volume, bass, and treble plus 3 pos. slider switch?
    What speaker do you have in it?
    Thank you.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    That's a great combination. Gorgeous sound and playing.
    Is your MBIV the version with just volume, bass, and treble plus 3 pos. slider switch?
    What speaker do you have in it?
    Thank you.
    Thanks. No, it has more controls than that. Bass, treble, mid, vol, master vol, gain, overdrive, reverb, pre amp out ....

    Mine has the 15" speaker in it. Bought it in 97 if I remember correctly ....

    DB
    Last edited by Dutchbopper; 01-19-2021 at 06:49 PM.

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Tal tone
    Yes, I think so too.

    DB

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    It just doesn't get better than that! Great tune, great playing, great sound. That's how I want to play when I grow up! I kept vacillating between thinking of Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, or, maybe best, Doug Raney.
    Thanks Lawson and all the others that replied. It is much appreciated.

    DB

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Groovin' playing and delicious tone. Thanks, DB!

    PS Love that penultimate chord!

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Sounds vert much like Tal. That guitar, that amp, that guitarist - very nice combination.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Gorgeous! I always enjoy hearing you play.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    So keep this link- when someone asks "what's this thunk thing y'all are talking about" we can point them at the first 4 bars of this.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Thanks. No, it has more controls than that. Bass, treble, mid, vol, master vol, gain, overdrive, reverb, pre amp out ....

    Mine has the 15" speaker in it. Bought it in 97 if I remember correctly ....

    DB
    I have the MBII of that same vintage. Last version prior to the "Sonic Circuit" generation. I actually have two so I can use one for parts if the other dies! I love these amps. In my little playing area, I have the Polytone, the Fender PRRI, and the Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb. The Polytone has a way of being the go-to amp, though the other two are wonderful as well.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Nice DB, Tal’d be liking that!
    d

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Great playing DB. And that signature sound. My goodness. I wish I could do that!
    Really great stuff. Someone who aspires to play exciting “real” Jazz, should listen to you play for a couple of days straight and then it will sink in.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Joe DeNisco

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Great playing DB. And that signature sound. My goodness. I wish I could do that!
    Really great stuff. Someone who aspires to play exciting “real” Jazz, should listen to you play for a couple of days straight and then it will sink in.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Joe DeNisco
    Thanks for listening and the kind words Joe. Though I like all the masters of course, I have always been especially intrigued by guys that create an exciting listening experience.

    DB