Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    COVID-19, lockdown, no gigs..... what to do? Internet is a funny thing.... before you know a 5F1 Champ kit sits in your shopping basket and another click and it’s paid for and on it’s way.....

    So it took a good weekend of soldering the electronics together. Another week to build a cab out of some Ikea-shelves and I dug a Jensen P10R out of my parts cabinet (I have too much stuff...).

    Man, is this a fun amp! Sounds great!! Very surprised by the clean volume and headroom! No, it won’t cut it in a gig with drums and horns... but I’m sure it can do coffee house gigs for solo guitar or with a singer. Perhaps it could even do gigs in a quiet room and a soft drummer using brushes.

    And the sound is sooo jazzy. It has a very pleasant and complex mid-thing going on. Bass is surprisingly full for such a small amp. I was surprised how dark sounding it is (but not woolly or muffled), I now understand how those bright telecasters could sound so full and jazzy in the old days!

    Recordings later on, trio rehearsal first tonight (with social distancing if course).

    Fun, fun, fun!






  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Glad to hear it!

    Where did you get the kit? It is on my list of things I might want to do in the near future. I've posted pictures before of some amp cabs I modded with nice quality wood, but I haven't built one from scratch yet.

    However, speaking of scratch, an LP kit from Stew Mac is currently itching me, and since I don't have one at home and am getting a little bored with turning bowls and pens and making knives (well not really, but always looking for a new challenge) this might be my first new project.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Well done! And I didn't even know IKEA sold amp cabinet kits.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Really cool!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Sheer beauty! Well done, Sir, and play it in good health!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Check you -- building the Cooper ES-330 and a 5F1 during this awful year.

    Keep going, J!

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    My Champ is perfectly fine with a drummer in restaurants and small bars.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Well done! And I didn't even know IKEA sold amp cabinet kits.
    Sure--it's called the Chamstrka. Right next to the Fjorlik and Pflustra.

    Sorry, I can't resist posting this...an oldie but a goodie!


  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Good job !
    I went that way some years ago and didn't regret
    Used it during rehearsals when it was still permitted :-(
    Perfect for practice amp at home
    And, above all, what fun is it to play with a toy you built yourself !

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Great Job!
    some weeks ago i had a water damage that killed my cheap Champ clone ( only the cab, not the electronic nor the HP). So now i need to build/buy a new cabinet and i am also thinking about increasing the HP size. Of course it was originally a 8" HP but i would like to increase the head room without loosing the special roots sound.
    Why did you choose a 10" and not a 12" HP? it was just a matter of available stuff or you tested both sizes and decided the 10" was the best choice ?
    Julien

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Glad to hear it!

    Where did you get the kit? It is on my list of things I might want to do in the near future. I've posted pictures before of some amp cabs I modded with nice quality wood, but I haven't built one from scratch yet.

    However, speaking of scratch, an LP kit from Stew Mac is currently itching me, and since I don't have one at home and am getting a little bored with turning bowls and pens and making knives (well not really, but always looking for a new challenge) this might be my first new project.
    I got the kit from this Dutch electronics supplier:

    Home Page

    Probably not very cost efficient to order it from overseas? It didn’t come with any brandnames on it, except for the Hammond trafos. I think the store compiles the kit themselves? Not sure though... but I think there are lots of very similar kits on the market.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 02-15-2021 at 04:34 AM.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Check you -- building the Cooper ES-330 and a 5F1 during this awful year.

    Keep going, J!
    Apparently some good things can come out of this whole Corona-situation.... ;-)

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Zheul
    Great Job!
    some weeks ago i had a water damage that killed my cheap Champ clone ( only the cab, not the electronic nor the HP). So now i need to build/buy a new cabinet and i am also thinking about increasing the HP size. Of course it was originally a 8" HP but i would like to increase the head room without loosing the special roots sound.
    Why did you choose a 10" and not a 12" HP? it was just a matter of available stuff or you tested both sizes and decided the 10" was the best choice ?
    Julien
    Yes, I had the Jensen P10R laying around :-) Used it many years ago in series with another P10R that developed a rattle so it was just sitting on the shelf waiting for a purpose ;-)

    Btw, I covered the cab in wall paper.... it’s a really sturdy scratch free wall paper. I think it looks great, but it’s probably a little less durable than tolex but I intended this little amp mainly for home practice.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    My Champ is perfectly fine with a drummer in restaurants and small bars.
    Wow that’s good to hear! But I take it that the drummer is using brushes then?

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Wow that’s good to hear! But I take it that the drummer is using brushes then?
    No brushes, but with a light drummer, champ stayed clean with some room to spare on multiple small bar/restaurant situations. MIne is the original with 8 inch speakers. Champ is loud. Yours with a 10 inch speaker will be louder. I know a guy who did outdoor cottage gigs with a 12 inch one without a PA. I mean not big venues but still.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    No brushes, but with a light drummer, champ stayed clean with some room to spare on multiple small bar/restaurant situations. MIne is the original with 8 inch speakers. Champ is loud. Yours with a 10 inch speaker will be louder. I know a guy who did outdoor cottage gigs with a 12 inch one without a PA. I mean not big venues but still.
    I must say I am surprised to hear that! You guys must play really low volume then? I mean, the amp is louder than I expected and has more headroom then I anticipated for but it’s still a 5 watt amp.... also a Jensen P10R is not very efficient with a sensitivity of 95.1 dB so I have my reservations.... but I will take it to band rehearsal one of these days to see how it holds up.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 02-15-2021 at 04:35 AM.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    That's some really neat soldering! I 've often been tempted, as i can do the electronics part, but i 've never done wood work so it gets a bit expensive. Where i live silverface ones do come up for 600-700 euros from time to time, but still, the joy of building it yourself....

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Wow that’s good to hear! But I take it that the drummer is using brushes then?
    Good drummers know how to use dynamics, and can play tastefully anywhere! [They may be hard to find, but they exist!] Of course, the same can be said about guitarists..

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    That's some really neat soldering! I 've often been tempted, as i can do the electronics part, but i 've never done wood work so it gets a bit expensive. Where i live silverface ones do come up for 600-700 euros from time to time, but still, the joy of building it yourself....
    I bought the kit without cab for €249 (about USD 300 I think) including tubes and Hammond trafos. Speaker I already had, wood and grill cloth also (leftovers from other projects). I only spent another $25 on some wallpaper and 4 rubber rubber feet. But if you have to buy the speaker, wood, tolex and other small stuff then 600-700 for a Silverface Champ is hard to beat.....
    Last edited by Little Jay; 01-12-2021 at 11:23 AM.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Very clean and orderly wiring job! Much better looking than 5F1 I struggled to complete. Great job!

    Never underestimate the amount of fun you can have with a Tele bridge pickup and a cranked champ. Yeow!!!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    The champ is mic'ed here for the audience (and recording purposes) but I think Julian Lage is also using it as stage monitor. So it's seems loud enough for stage volume with a not too restrained but a good drummer which of course means loud enough for some small venues.
    He is going between clean and dirty with his dynamics. I think I saw him touch is volume knob too. The drummer is adjusting his dynamics accordingly.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-12-2021 at 02:19 PM.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Great looking build!

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    I gotta say I really like the look of that wallpaper-covering.
    Nice alternative to the usual tweed and tolex finishes!

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Well done! And I didn't even know IKEA sold amp cabinet kits.
    Congrats on a project completed! Looks great!

    Re. Gitfiddler: I once made a 1x12" open-back cab for my son, starting from IKEA's cheapest EUR 10 massive pine night-table. Doesn't seem to be in their program anymore. Wallpaper covering, multiple coats of boat varnish, leather on the corners. Eminence Texas Heat inside. Works, as all open-backs do. Just a hint: an easy way to make beautifully finished cabs is to use wood or even plastic HDF laminate flooring and aluminum corner profiles. I frankly don't think the cab material matters as much as the volume and configuration, and open-back is very forgiving in this respect.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    For a bit more retro-vintage-vibe I added some alu strips to the front: