The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 129 of 129
    The bottom line is, it's personal preference, and depends on the rig. Some pickups in some guitars going into some amps sound better with one or the other value pots (and a few people even use 1M pots, very very bright.). Listen to your ears.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    The bottom line is, it's personal preference, and depends on the rig. Some pickups in some guitars going into some amps sound better with one or the other value pots (and a few people even use 1M pots, very very bright.). Listen to your ears.
    By a few people you mean pretty much anyone that uses a dearmond with an original control box. It's not "very bright"; it's the pot value that compliments the pickup, amp, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    By a few people you mean pretty much anyone that uses a dearmond with an original control box. It's not "very bright"; it's the pot value that compliments the pickup, amp, etc.
    By "very bright" I mean 1M is very bright compared to 250K and 500K. 1M is the brightest (sending the least amount of treble to ground) of the guitar-use potentiometers. You seem to have read something derogatory into my comment, when there was no derision. People use what they like. There are "general rules of thumb", but I have never believed in following the rules when it comes to things as subjective as tone generation.

User Info Menu

Nah I was just confirming and complementing your post. 100% agree that the optimal value depends on the rest of the rig. I was just making the point that (1) a pot isn't bright or dark - the signal is bright or dark. (2) 1M isn't as rare as some people think. A lot of people don't realize that it was very popular for RC and FHC pickups and a part of the great tone.