The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Bare with me hear, I have a 1950 ES-150 for sale on Reverb and a gentleman who has been looking for one for a while was curious to know if it could be converted to lefty effectively. Hes going to be using it for recording professionally and eventually gigs when/if they happen. I personally had no idea of the answer, so I figured I'd ask the professionals.....YOU!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sure, nothing that a new nut and bridge saddle cut for left handed play can't fix. I don't think the tailpiece should be an issue as long as the string slots are uniformly cut

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Sure, nothing that a new nut and bridge saddle cut for left handed play can't fix. I don't think the tailpiece should be an issue as long as the string slots are uniformly cut
    Ok, gotcha!
    THe pickup wouldn't need to be flipped or anything?
    I would imagine the jack for the cord would need to be relocated, no?

User Info Menu

Yes the jack would be an issue
    I'd try to convert it to an end pin installation like prewar 150's.
    Pickup will only need the pole pieces adjusted.

User Info Menu

Oh, and the tone/volume controls i imagine would be awkward

User Info Menu

Yeah, not in an ideal spot, but lots of lefty players have dealt w that over the yrs.

User Info Menu

really depends what the lefty player is willing to put up with...as wm wrote ^, definitely a new nut and bridge saddle needed...but, then pickguard, vol & tone control placement and output jack are considerations...and hopefully tailpiece string slots shld/will be ok

the pickup pole screws wld need height adjustment but otherwise no problem

poor lefties

just watched classic bassist earl may (tranes lush life lp bassist) interview..and being lefty gave him all-sorts of troubles on acoustic bass...

cheers

User Info Menu

an L jack cord may be helpful with output jack issues

cheers

User Info Menu

As a lefty, I've taken righty guitars and totally converted them to lefties to include routing new holes for pots (and filling the old holes and refinishing the top) to just minimally adjusting the guitar as a lefty (much like the suggestions above). It's all a matter of what the lefty player in question wants. I would not covert it totally lefty with new vol/tone pot holes, etc., unless I was absolutely sure I LOVE the guitar and plans to never part with it. In that case, maybe...

If this was my decision, as a lefty I'd want to keep the guitar in a state where it can be reconverted back to a righty. I'd change out parts rather than cut them where possible: the nut and the bridge/saddle as Wintermoon noted. I'd keep the tailpiece as is. It can probably handle heavier strings in the slots. If not, the choice would be replace it with a newer piece and file out the spacing or if the work would be "invisible" you can file out the original to the minimum required to take the heavier low-end strings. If the player plans to use flatwound 13's, then it will probably require a lot of filing and would be best to get another tailpiece. A substitute tailpiece is cheap, easy to find and easy to remove with no signs of alteration. You can then put the original nut, bridge, saddle, and tailpiece in the case. I'd leave the input jack where it is and use an L angled jack as neatomic noted; I wouldn't change the pots to "lefty" pots. I'd leave the originals in there. I also wouldn't touch the pickup, other than adjusting the pole pieces. The only other consideration would be the position marker dots on the side of the neck. I like having them so I would probably have a luthier add them. Something small and relatively indiscreet. Many righties may not even notice they are there since they don't tend to look on that side of the neck. Even with these minor changes, if the guitar is reconverted back to a righty and put up for sale, there will be players who will complain about these alterations. I would just shrug my shoulders and look for another buyer. These alternations will not affect the sound or general integrity of the guitar so if it bothers a potential buyer they should look elsewhere. Good luck with the lefty conversion!

User Info Menu

Here's a 1950 ES-150 that has been minimally converted to lefty. Gustav Lundgren is a great player who loves his ES-150.

Gibson ES-150 Demo (My Guitars #3) - YouTube

http://www.gustavlundgren.com/

This ES-150 image below is a guitar that was for sale on Ebay a while ago. No idea if it was modified or not.

User Info Menu

I see he has a bunch of converted righties demoed on his YouTube channel, included an Es 330.

Perhaps this might be the best shot for a left handed player to get guitars. Many times you have to choose, buy something left handed new or get an older right handed guitar and have work done on it.

For anything not really that popular your left handed choices (and bargains) get really low really fast..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler

This ES-150 image below is a guitar that was for sale on Ebay a while ago. No idea if it was modified or not.

Interestingly, the seller has converted all of his amps in the background to be exact mirror images of the originals as well. Taking this lefty thing to a whole 'nother level!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Interestingly, the seller has converted all of his amps in the background to be exact mirror images of the originals as well. Taking this lefty thing to a whole 'nother level!
    Haha! I didn't notice that the image is reversed. So much for Google searching.
    As Rosanna Danna Anna used to say..."NEVER MIND!"

User Info Menu

Not mine, something I saw on YouTube:
    Converting an ES-150 to lefty....possible?-left-handed-l50-conversion-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Here's a 1950 ES-150 that has been minimally converted to lefty. Gustav Lundgren is a great player who loves his ES-150.

Gibson ES-150 Demo (My Guitars #3) - YouTube

http://www.gustavlundgren.com/

Great clip and info, thank you!
    I passed it on to the guy, but of course he has so far ghosted!
    Ahhhhhh, guitar sales......

Thanks for all the help everyone, I do as always appreciate it.