The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Picking with the pointy or rounded end.

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pointy end

68 57.63%
  • Rounded end

50 42.37%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 113 of 113

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Am I the only one here who has a pile of picks of various sizes and brands, none of which cost more than two dollars?
    Nope. I have an Art Nouveau ceramic vase, about two inches high and four and a half inches in diameter, filled to the brim with cost-effective plectra from a number of manufacturers and not a few of my own creations. Many of the stock ones are fated to be altered in subtle and not so subtle ways. I am the Dr. Moreau of picks, and chez k. is the House of Pain.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

OK, so from all you round enders, now I wanna talk about which way do you point the pointy end. As you know, it makes a huge difference. Out? In ? Or Up??

Of course, if your pick is rounded all 3 sides, you miss out on the (dis?)advantage of the extra "leverage" that the long end provides. Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

What I have learned from this experiment is that people who play with the round end prefer the sound of the round end and people who play with the pointy end prefer the sound of the pointy end.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the Big-endians and the Little-endians in Gulliver’s Travels.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    What I have learned from this experiment is that people who play with the round end prefer the sound of the round end and people who play with the pointy end prefer the sound of the pointy end.
    Nah, some peeps have turned the corner, so to speak...

User Info Menu

I might adopt round end for gypsy playing. My plan is to get as authentic a gypsy sound as I can so I get away with playing contemporary jazz lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Just curious how many of us turn our picks around to avoid the pointy end...
    As it happens, I don't turn my pick around to avoid the pointy end. As best I can recall, Pat Metheny does, though. I use a different shape.

I don't use a 351-shaped pick (the usual shape). I use a 347-shape, though not Fender brand - I used to use Gibson GG50 heavy (long discontinued), but lately have used the celluloid Dunlop Teardrop heavy (485-03HV) (see page 2, the black ones), and also the same shape made of Tortex for different tones.

I sometimes use the Dunlop Jazztone Large Round Tip (477-207). It's a good bit thicker than the Teardrop, and has a darkish tone.

I think there's something about how the slightly rounded edges of these picks release the string that I find pleasing. I think, though I haven't measured it, that the sound is a little less trebly than the 351. Looks like turning a 351 around might have some of the same effect - I'll have to try that.

[Edited later: sorry, I didn't realize how old this thread was. Out of personal arrogance, however, I'll leave my post up instead of deleting it.]
    Last edited by dconeill; 02-13-2024 at 04:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Not.

User Info Menu

All ends are valid.

User Info Menu

The end justifies the means.

User Info Menu

I use a regular pick the regular way.

User Info Menu

I wager that the players that use the round end play flatter on the string and the pointy end peeps play with more edge.

I feel there's a joke embedded here somewhere but I'm not quite sure what it is yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bediles
    ... the pointy end peeps play with more edge.
    What Troy Grady calls "edge picking" is one of the things that helps to take the pointy end from being a hindrance to being something that actually HELPS you to pick more cleanly.

His "Masters in Mechanics" series talks about edge picking and a ton of other topics related to picking mechanics, complete with slow-speed, close-up video of many pro players.

It was the latest Martin Miller interview that got me to pop for a subscription to his site.

I unsubscribed after four months because I had reached the saturation point and wanted to spend some time practicing what I'd learned by working on the MIM content.

I have no affiliation with the site other than being a satisfied customer. He's done a great job of breaking down a variety of different successful picking techniques in a way that, dare I say, nobody has done before. Plectrum technique has gone from being a poorly explained "black art" to something that you can study, understand, and learn.

Just in case that wasn't clear: he shows MANY ways that different players achieve speed and fluency with differing approaches to picking. There is no "one right way." There are, in fact, many ways that work well for many players in a variety of styles.

The site does tend to fixate a bit on speed metal, but there are also things from guys like Joscho Stephan, and Martin Miller definitely has a jazz-influenced vocabulary.