The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

....... - e.g., something like this - - 1953 Epiphone Triumph Regent......

...no affiliation w/ seller,etc.........just almost a head's up as to what these and similar L-7's sell for.....( meaning ' reasonable' )

....would these be any easier to cut & add a P/U to than an L-7 w/ parallel braces ??

Thx.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Cut" sounds like blasphemy. I would only consider a floating PU.

User Info Menu

parallel, and no Dennis
    I'd suggest either a floater as mentioned or a guitar w/ a factory set in pu.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    "Cut" sounds like blasphemy. I would only consider a floating PU.
    ..I know - just curious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    ....... - e.g., something like this - - 1953 Epiphone Triumph Regent......

...no affiliation w/ seller,etc.........just almost a head's up as to what these and similar L-7's sell for.....( meaning ' reasonable' )

....would these be any easier to cut & add a P/U to than an L-7 w/ parallel braces ??

Thx.
    I own a 1953 Triumph Regent. It has no pick-up and never will have while I own it.

Back when archtops were piled up like cordwood in the 60's, a lot of folks decided to rout the tops for pick-ups and ruined these great acoustic archtops. As I recall most Epi's were Parallel braced, however it's more of a V shape with the pointy end at the neck.

There are so many great choices for instruments at that price point these days that are designed to have built in pickups.

'50's Epi Triumph Regent --  How were these braced ?-epiatsprings-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango

There are so many great choices for instruments at that price point these days that are designed to have built in pickups.
    Full carve, solid wood 17x 3 , with built-in p/u for $3500. ?

Sorry ST, but I'm at a loss trying to think of any......I thought a '50's Zephyr Regent ( laminated ) was a good candidate, 'til I learned they weighed 7+ 1/2 pounds !

Thx

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I agree - -that's mint and looks fantastic - but it'll weigh 8 pounds.....

Thx

User Info Menu

most built in p.u. guitars aren't light, all those electronics contribute to the weight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    most built in p.u. guitars aren't light, all those electronics contribute to the weight

And I'd also thought that post '80's single p/u Gibsons were the heaviest, ( overbuilt ) 'til I learned all the others were about equal - - and some Guilds were even heavier !

User Info Menu

I'd bet a Campellone is on the lighter side, you might want to look into one of those

User Info Menu

That's super cool, and not too expensive. Think of all the work that went into that before the age of CNC.

Is it just me, or do the prices seem lowish on their active listings page? Not that I'm complaining, but usually on a site like this my jaw drops from the sticker shock.

User Info Menu

I think it's not fully carved, only the top. Not that that's a bad thing at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'd bet a Campellone is on the lighter side, you might want to look into one of those

I've done that, thanks.....and even found this on archtop.com but didn't get a response here when I asked if anyone had ever heard of the builder.....

404 Not Found 5.11 pounds, so it can be done !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think it's not fully carved, only the top. Not that that's a bad thing at all.
    Correct, I was aware of that when I posted the link. Just seemed to meet most of the OP's desires plus being sold by fellow forum member. I believe the Artist Award is the only fully carved 17" Guild archtop however they usually have floaters. I owned a blonde 92 AA and it was a fine instrument.

User Info Menu

Epiphone Triumph Regent 1951 – Carter Vintage Guitars

Thought this might be of interest to OP.

User Info Menu

Epiphone Triumph Regent 1951 – Carter Vintage Guitars

Thought this might be of interest to OP.

Thanks ST for that post and link about Carter Vintage. I'd forgotten about them.

Now I definitely have another source !.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thanks ST for that post and link about Carter Vintage. I'd forgotten about them.

Now I definitely have another source !.

I just called CV, and FYI - that guitar weighs 6.8 #. which isn't bad at all.