The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hello my beloved community!
    Please help me (once again) with this beautiful German masterpiece. I got the opportunity to buy this one, but I do not know anything about the actual value/history of it. Something I learnt about vintage Hofners, are two mainly things:
    1) amazingly variable in prices.
    2) hundreds of differeny models.
    HELP: Hofner guitar identification-1d3df3dc-f464-4298-a934-9196851f2eb3-jpegHELP: Hofner guitar identification-395b6638-dc59-4142-ab6f-5a6f8be80c24-jpegHELP: Hofner guitar identification-49a20897-8571-4377-8e62-0dcca36f3895-jpeg
    thanks for any response,
    cheers and all the best!
    Franco
    Attached Images Attached Images HELP: Hofner guitar identification-49a20897-8571-4377-8e62-0dcca36f3895-jpeg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

too bad they replaced the pickups and used speed knobs!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    too bad they replaced the pickups and used speed knobs!

cheers
    yeah, I know! the pickguard and tuners were replaced too... pickups are gibson paf, so the sound will be like such an L-5 (in my opinion)
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Here:
    Hofner 463 Info?

Based on its features, the guitar appears to be a early-to-mid-'50s Model 463/S.
    The date is written on the underside of the top.

The tuners, bridge and pickguard are not original and were added at a later date, as were the pickups, control knobs and three-way switch.

It's possible that it has a carved top, given its age, but that can easily be determined by checking the top plate where it was cut for the pickup installation.

Given the @16"+ width of the guitar, if the top is carved, it can be compared at a performance level to a Gibson L-4CES. If the top is laminated, it can be compared at a performance level to a Gibson ES-175. It should be considerably lighter than either of those models.

Pricing is difficult given the variability of prices for old Hofners as well as the fact that it has been significantly and permanently altered. As well, it appears that the top may have been refinished due to the absence of any Hofner markings, which were typically placed on the top plate. But it might be a great guitar. And the specific model of Gibson humbucking pickups may affect value as well.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-09-2020 at 07:41 AM.

User Info Menu

thank you so much for your help and the info, a big hug from Chile
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Here:
    Hofner 463 Info?

Based on its features, the guitar appears to be a early-to-mid-'50s Model 463/S.
    The date is written on the underside of the top.

The tuners, bridge and pickguard are not original and were added at a later date, as were the pickups, control knobs and three-way switch.

It's possible that it has a carved top, given its age, but that can easily be determined by checking the top plate where it was cut for the pickup installation.

Given the @16"+ width of the guitar, if the top is carved, it can be compared at a performance level to a Gibson L-4CES. If the top is laminated, it can be compared at a performance level to a Gibson ES-175. It should be considerably lighter than either of those models.

Pricing is difficult given the variability of prices for old Hofners as well as the fact that it has been significantly and permanently altered. As well, it appears that the top may have been refinished due to the absence of any Hofner markings, which were typically placed on the top plate. But it might be a great guitar. And the specific model of Gibson humbucking pickups may affect value as well.