The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 80

User Info Menu

Hahahaa..
    Yeah bro, Every piece of Gold on the guitar that had to be replaced was replaced, except for the nut that secures the Jack on the bottom rim.
    Everything. Its brand new now, almost like your guitars, but not quite. You have the nicest, cleanest guitars in the world.
    I am at my max, Four. One of them will have to go before I bring in another. I want all my guitars to be special. To mean something. There is one last final Guitar on my list. Its gonna mean something..
    Thanks Bro.
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hahahaa..
    Yeah bro, Every piece of Gold on the guitar that had to be replaced was replaced, except for the nut that secures the Jack on the bottom rim.
    Everything. Its brand new now, almost like your guitars, but not quite. You have the nicest, cleanest guitars in the world.
    I am at my max, Four. One of them will have to go before I bring in another. I want all my guitars to be special. To mean something. There is one last final Guitar on my list. Its gonna mean something..
    Thanks Bro.
    JD
    So wait a minute. Your GB100 was restored with new bits and pieces? Vintage Ibanez parts can be a challenge to source, especially for their limited production models such as yours. I believe that behind every guitar, there is a story. Details please.
    This beauty's story deserves to be told.

User Info Menu

GF,
    The guitar spent most of its life in Brazil. Very Humid. Theres a cool story but its unconfirmed...
    All of the Gold parts were tarnished and or pitted. Complete shit. The frets were dull and unlevel. With alot of meat on them. I put a Hazmat suit on and dove in..
    I bought a new GB10 Tailpiece and transplanted the applique. Its the exact same Tailpiece. GB10, made in Japan..
    Pickup covers were replaced with an AllParts neck enclosure and pole screws and the bridge Pickup with a new Ibanez enclosure.
    The pickguard bracket is an exact AllParts replacement.
    The tuners were fine after I took them apart piece by piece and cleaned (with lighter fluid) and polished every part. I put Carpro non abrasive polish in my hands and polished every part with my fingers. (Yes, I am a patient MF'r who will eventually end up being a mental patient, but I have a nice guitar as a result)..
    All the screws were replaced with either Stew Mac screws OR McMaster Carr Brass screws that I polished to shiney gold and then sealed with my fingers.
    My tech extraordinaire, Brian leveled the frets and lubed a now perfectly working trussrod. It was stuck because it was never, ever adjusted..
    The body had no dings or dents or scratches but it was dirty and DULL. With my Random Orbital buffer (Porter Cable) I used Meguires 101, 105 then Menzerna P085rd and now it looks like the guitar left the Japan factory a week ago..

I even used PoorBoys Coconut Tire Bright on the case, which now looks pretty much brand new with a couple of dings here and there.

Yes, I am a lunatic.
    But I am cute.
    JD

User Info Menu

(who will eventually end up being a mental patient).....sorry Bro but no eventually in that statement.

LOL

User Info Menu

I had to read that a couple of times to actually get it, so I guess you are right!!
    You are the best bro. Love you man.
    JD

User Info Menu

I owned a GB-12 when they came out for quite a while. Beautiful guitar without a doubt. Very playable great necks. I hope it’s voice brings you a welcome change that keeps you looking forward to playing it.

User Info Menu

Well said sir.
    I think that will happen. It’s more than a novelty. It’s a comfortable playing guitar that has a sweetness to it. It can be played softer than all my other guitars. It’s responsive and crisp. Note separation is on par with the Solid Formed. My tech, the great Brian Kirkner has
    it playing like a shredder. It sounds bigger than it is. Not plinky at all. Sustain is important to me and this one has it in spades.
    Thanks Skiboy.
    JD
    Last edited by Max405; 11-20-2020 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow...Awesome back story, JD!!

That GB100 is definitely in the right hands.

May your few hours of labor bring you many years of joy playing that very special guitar.

User Info Menu

Joe! Congratulations. I cant wait to hear you playing it in a video. Since our playing and our desired tone in somehow are related it will be interesting to hear how it sounds in your hands.
    Gustavo

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Congrats Joe, nice result after a meticulous restoration !
    Have you kept your GB10 ? it would be interesting to hear a comparison recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Joe! Congratulations. I cant wait to hear you playing it in a video. Since our playing and our desired tone in somehow are related it will be interesting to hear how it sounds in your hands.
    Gustavo
    Hi Gustavo,
    You know, its funny..
    I really Love this Guitar. But one of the things it is doing for me is it is making me appreciate my L5 even more. Its Strange how a guitar can impact how I feel about another guitar. When you play an L5 over and over you lose that sense of what makes it so special. The L5 is really like a Rolls Royce sitting on your lap, as opposed to the GB100 which is more like a Porsche 911. It took me getting this GB100 to realize that.
    Thanks Gus.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFranck
    Congrats Joe, nice result after a meticulous restoration !
    Have you kept your GB10 ? it would be interesting to hear a comparison recording.
    Thank You JF! I did not keep the GB10. But I will be keeping this one. For sure!
    JD

I will be recording some cool stuff this weekend for sure.

User Info Menu

Joe - my long-time playing partner was using a GB-10 when we met, and he always regretted getting rid of it. I can only imagine how much better your GB-100 is. It's good that it is in your skilled and appreciative hands. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Thank You C74. I am not sure if my GB100 is better than the GB10. It will probably feed back alot more.
    But one thing is for sure..
    It sure is Purdier..
    Just like you C74!
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe, Nice guitar! I'd like to hear GB's "Tenderly" back to back with this guitar and your L-5. I'm a big GB fan as well and when that Weekend in LA LP came out I wore out my copy attempted to copy GB's mighty riffing on the tune "Windsong". Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob,
    Tenderly huh? I will try. Not an easy one, not even for George himself. But I’ll give it a whack.
    Thank you Rob.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    I was a busy beaver yesterday..
    There is just something cool to me about playing Benson songs on a Benson guitar.

This one is the intro to “Ode To A Kudu” from Weekend in LA

And this one is “Tenderly”, from the Tenderly Album.

Thanks guys. I promise I’ll give it a break after this weekend..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Sweet! How does such a small bodied guitar with a floating pickup get such a deep bass response?

I am thinking you scored big time with that purchase. Might I suggest that you keep this one for the long haul?

User Info Menu

Hey bro,
    And a small bodied guitar with floaters on it too.. The pickups have bite to them.
    The Volume was set to 9 and the tone was set to 8. A 10 volume was clipping on my meters.
    The GB special pickups are nice.. The middle position with the tone turned down to 4 on the bridge pickup is surprisingly nice.
    I played my 165 this morning. It’s amazing how much more open and “airy” (QA puts it) that guitar is. I love all my guitars.
    This GB100 is a perfect guitar with great attributes. It’s a keeper. I’d be a complete whack job if I moved on from it.
    JD

User Info Menu

That sounds just great. The low end is amazing.

User Info Menu

and a nice look of satisfaction at the end of ode to a kudu...

nice clarity with plenty of dynamic range

(benson don't endorse thomastik for nothing!)

3 vid's in one weekend!...glad you enjoyin it so, Joe D...we are too!

cheers

User Info Menu

Promise not to go away, Joe!

User Info Menu

Joe,

You are so right. The GB pickups are winners.

Great videos, Joe.

User Info Menu

Thanks for masterfully performing two of my favorite Benson instrumentals.

GB pickups tend to be very hot at approximately 13k ohms. And since they're floaters, the sound is fat and clear to my ear. The deep bass, solid mids and clear highs may be attributed to these factors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Promise not to go away, Joe!
    +1. You, your guitar adventures, and your playing are part of the reason I find this forum enjoyable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    That sounds just great. The low end is amazing.
    Thanks Jim.
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    and a nice look of satisfaction at the end of ode to a kudu...
    nice clarity with plenty of dynamic range
    (benson don't endorse thomastik for nothing!)
    3 vid's in one weekend!...glad you enjoyin it so, Joe D...we are too!
    cheers
    Yes Neatomic. The reason I smiled a little bit is I wanted badly to continue on, but I didn’t have a looper on my GT001. I know a lot of the solo that follows the intro. The part I don’t is the outro which is the hardest part. But I punked out and didn’t learn that.. thank you buddy.