The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So the Harley Benton headless was fun but really it served the same function as my Soloway Gosling but didn't sound as good. It would be a great travel guitar but I have my little Emerald X7 for that and seriously, what are the odds of my going anywhere outside of Atlantic Canada in the next year or so. So I sold it locally and looked for something that would do a better job at filling a greater need.

That leads me to to probably the oddest guitar purchase I've ever made. An old customer pointed me towards this one several months ago. He thought it was based on our Single 15 design (maybe so) and it also has the extra wide spacing that we offered. On the other hand, it 's 24.75" scale length, a beautiful set-neck joint and the builder (Erkem Ozkarpat from Turkey) built guitars played by Cenk Erdogan, one of my favorite current guitarists. I kept watching as no one bought this guitar (despite a fairly modest price) and yesterday I made an offer that was accepted. It ships tomorrow and we'll see how long it takes to get from Maryland to Nova Scotia.

One gone ... One on its way here.-ozkarpatfullfront-jpg
    One gone ... One on its way here.-ozkarpatneckjoint-jpg
    One gone ... One on its way here.-ozkarpatpeghead-jpg
    One gone ... One on its way here.-ozkarpatlabel-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

BTW, Ekram built this double neck for Cenk Erdogan...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    One gone ... One on its way here.-ozkarpatneckjoint-jpg
    One gone ... One on its way here.-ozkarpatpeghead-jpg
    It's hard to reconcile the refined luthiery of the neck-joint and lacquer with the rattle-can peghead finish and the pocket-knife 'hand-crapft' tone-hole.

I admire your wide-open approach to gear, Jim. Enjoy it and let the neighbors know you have a new guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    It's hard to reconcile the refined luthiery of the neck-joint and lacquer with the rattle-can peghead finish and the pocket-knife 'hand-crapft' tone-hole.
    Points noted, but I think it's beautiful overall! Love the "stolen" design.

User Info Menu

The neck joint looks a lot like my Carvin Acoustic-Electrics.

One gone ... One on its way here.-carvinneck-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry

I admire your wide-open approach to gear, Jim. Enjoy it and let the neighbors know you have a new guitar!
    I'm getting this for a price low enough to not sweat the small stuff. I love that it has the fingerstyle spacing and no bridge pickup. That's definitely my style and it does kind of feel like the design is coming full circle but coming to me. Hopefully it plays and sounds good but I can afford to take a flyer to find out. As for the sound hole, I know from first hand experience that putting a sound hole on a small body guitar is a really difficult task. My personal Soloway has no hole. A lot of people assumed that the bodies we built with no hole were solid but in fact they have the exact same internal chambering. We just omitted the hole. He probably should have done the same.

User Info Menu

Nice looking guitar!

I've seen a similar neck joint on the Fender Adkins Telecaster.

One gone ... One on its way here.-adkinsneck-jpg