The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Couldn't resist a few words on this very unfamiliar type of guitar.

As everyone knows here I'm sure its odd because its 16'' x 2.75'' with a 25.5'' scale.

I'm not sure what the magic Heritage-factor is, I just know, after many boutiques and many Gibsons these two Heritage guitars I've acquired are blowing my mind. I think it may be the fretwork, neck-carve, string-spacing/neck geometry that are critical - and perhaps also the slightly reduced depth.

I haven't plugged it in yet because I'm not at home and don't have access to my amp.

The response is super-quick and it has a sort of depth (sweetness?) to the tone throughout the range. My hunch is these melody notes on the top two strings are going to amplify wonderfully well. It's so hard to speak about how a guitar plays - but it's so easy to feel the relevant features. My lad said - wow it's so loud - you won't need an amplifier for this one daddy! I seem to be getting much more out of it than I'm used to - so I'm thrilled.

if there's a difference in the 'fit and finish' or 'build-quality' between this and e.g guitars in the L5CES price range then it's not a difference that means anything at all to me.

heritage sweet 16 2016-img_5907-jpgheritage sweet 16 2016-img_5915-jpgheritage sweet 16 2016-img_5909-jpgheritage sweet 16 2016-img_5912-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images heritage sweet 16 2016-img_5908-jpg heritage sweet 16 2016-img_5906-jpg heritage sweet 16 2016-img_5916-jpg heritage sweet 16 2016-img_5913-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Enjoy. The Heritage is sweet indeed.

User Info Menu

Groynaid,
    Nice to see you back on the forum. We have all cycled through guitars in search of that sound - which seems elusive at times.

Glad your enjoying your Heritage guitars. I’ve had several Golden Eagles and Sweet sixteens, and when you get a good one - it’s a real treat.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on the new guitar. It's great to read about your excitement and joy, and the reaction of your child. May the gift of the Muse be imparted into the lad by your enthusiasm for it! Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Groynaid,
    Nice to see you back on the forum. We have all cycled through guitars in search of that sound - which seems elusive at times.

Glad your enjoying your Heritage guitars. I’ve had several Golden Eagles and Sweet sixteens, and when you get a good one - it’s a real treat.
    Cheers QAman - thanks for the welcome back!

- like all quests I think the quest for 'that sound' involves quite a bit of self-doubt. What I mean is - it's very easy to think there's nothing really there to search for and you're on some sort of 'trip', so to speak.

And you can be unsure about what it is that you're after too (even putting the scepticism just mentioned aside).

This has slightly bigger frets than the new EC - and a fatter neck-carve too. But it's got such a great thick sound (unamplified). I couldn't find another new (old stock) one anywhere - I don't think there will be many left to get hold of now from before all the changes at the plant.

all best

Jon

User Info Menu

Congrats Groyniad. It's a handsome looking guitar indeed!

User Info Menu

It is a real beauty of a guitar. It fits the bill probably in many respects. I think the main thing about Heritage guitars is they are well made and will remain strong contenders for value as years go by. Play all the notes in it for sure......

User Info Menu

Cool colour this antique natural - doesn’t look at all like the pictures from the shop - way darker.

as an official sunburst freak it took some courage to ignore the finish but I’m fine with it.

bridge is pretty high - hope that’s not going to be a problem

User Info Menu

Glad you are bonding with it, Groyniad. Hope that you are staying safe wherever you are in Ethiopia, too. Having followed your adventures in guitars for a while-no, I'm not cyberstalking you- I thought it was more of the same. But we do tend to cycle back to what we have left behind, in lovers as well as guitars! Heck, I just caught up recently with the single again woman who left me for another man some 27 years ago! Not so crazy after all these years but an archly ironic familiarity.

But to each man his own bout of goût...Good goût to you! I'd rather have my just dessert served cold!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    ...Heck, I just caught up recently with the single again woman who left me for another man some 27 years ago!
    I thought the witness protection program was set up to prevent that sort of thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Glad you are bonding with it, Groyniad. Hope that you are staying safe wherever you are in Ethiopia, too. Having followed your adventures in guitars for a while-no, I'm not cyberstalking you- I thought it was more of the same. But we do tend to cycle back to what we have left behind, in lovers as well as guitars! Heck, I just caught up recently with the single again woman who left me for another man some 27 years ago! Not so crazy after all these years but an archly ironic familiarity.

But to each man his own bout of goût...Good goût to you! I'd rather have my just dessert served cold!
    we do - you're spot on
    I started with a 175 (well not quite started) - and I went back to them after, I don't know, 18 years or so
    I think you follow many peoples' adventures - as well as the archtop market which I suspect you know better than anyone else in the world

I went back to the L5 through Heritage's slimmer EC - but it turned out not to be the same thing at all
    but I've never been here before - the GB10 is the closest - but it's not that close at all

do you still have your comins 16' and your single pickup L4 (quite close to this S16)?

(I'm sure if you revisited your romantic past it wouldn't be the same this time round either)

(things aren't looking good in Ethiopia at the moment - but we're safe - thanks for asking!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    bridge is pretty high - hope that’s not going to be a problem
    It shouldn't be; the pix show that the ends of the posts aren't too far below the bridge post holes. And no sign of the top sinking.
    It might have been deliberately set high for better acoustic projection. I have a small-bodied Slaman like that.

It's when it won't go LOW enough that there can be a real problem,and not just with the bridge...

User Info Menu

What I would do with the bridge as a repairmen is this.

I would glue a block of ebony under the saddle to give it more wood against the post. Trim/sand to match invisible. This will in effect make the bridge adjustment easier if it happens to ever need to be raise. It also allows enough wood in the saddle that you have plenty of solid wood under the post and over. Then you can actually crank down the saddle since it will be sitting too high. Not complicated to do and looks generally very normal other than a bit more height in the saddle. Hopefully this makes sense. Naturally you have to drill the saddle adjust holes all the way through, use a drill press for sure.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your NEW Sweet 16!!

Those are great archtops, but each one is slightly different. Many of them were custom orders, made for individual customers or dealer spec. Yours has a slightly thicker neck. That was a special order. There may be other more minor features incorporated in the build, but what is more important is how it feels to YOU. Based on your description, it is a perfect fit.

I asked Marv Lamb how he came up with the name "Sweet 16". He told me it was due to the body width and the 'sweet' tones that came from their first builds.

Enjoy your 'new' Sweetie!

User Info Menu

Congrats on your Sweet 16
    The finish on yours is outstanding
    Maybe we can start a "happy Sweet 16 owners" thread ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Congratulations on your NEW Sweet 16!!

Those are great archtops, but each one is slightly different. Many of them were custom orders, made for individual customers or dealer spec. Yours has a slightly thicker neck. That was a special order. There may be other more minor features incorporated in the build, but what is more important is how it feels to YOU. Based on your description, it is a perfect fit.

I asked Marv Lamb how he came up with the name "Sweet 16". He told me it was due to the body width and the 'sweet' tones that came from their first builds.

Enjoy your 'new' Sweetie!
    fascinating - thanks for the inside info man!
    the neck is striking - but I'm a big fan of the fatter feel (the things we say!)
    I've not played a guitar with such a quick, loud, but 'thick' response. must be something to do with the combination of the scale length and the body dimensions. if this pickup works well - and the bracing (which I think is parallel not X - how do you tell?) helps inhibit feedback - it could be seriously cool.

User Info Menu

look at the pricing of this gorgeous sunburst - new old stock (and they were totally uninterested in reducing the price)

Heritage Sweet 16 Antique naturel | CUSTOM GUITAR SHOP | Reverb

and - if this next one is the 'last one' then my 2016 obviously has been somewhat shaped by the changes at Heritage...

HERITAGE SWEET 16 ARCHTOP "THE LAST ONE" VINTAGE | Reverb

User Info Menu

That is a real beauty!!

I can't tell for sure whether you have one of the newer and hotter pickups, but I think so. Here is the older Floating #3. Note how it attaches by pins. The newer one has a tongue, not pins.

heritage sweet 16 2016-20201107_163430-jpgheritage sweet 16 2016-20201107_163454-jpgheritage sweet 16 2016-20201107_163520-jpg

User Info Menu

I have the silver tongue connector - super

It looks like a full sized hum bucker under there - great stuff!

User Info Menu

I have the silver tongue connector - super

It looks like a full sized hum bucker under there - great stuff!
    A friend of mine built your pickup. He's fantastic.

User Info Menu

It pleases me that you’re so happy with it
    hurray !!!!

User Info Menu

thanks for all the good vibes guys! I'm so pleased I shared my good news with you. I do feel lucky to have found it. Once I decided the sweet 16 was the one to replace my '54 175 re-issue, I looked and looked. I was about to go for one of the used ones J. Wolfe has - and then I found perhaps the last available 'new' (old stock) one in a shop in northern Italy. It cost me no more than one of Jay's would have cost me after duty and tax. I had to time it carefully with a week long trip back to the UK.

Marty - thanks again for the info. It makes it all the more special to get some insight into how - and by whom - it has been made. Once I've tried it with the amp. I'll share my impressions of the pickup.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your lovely new instrument - it's a real beauty! Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Heck, I just caught up recently with the single again woman who left me for another man some 27 years ago!
    Tell her to keep walking. Besides, she’s got wrinkles now!

User Info Menu

....and the bracing (which I think is parallel not X - how do you tell?) helps inhibit feedback...
    It's very easy to tell with Heritage carved archtops because the f-holes are so oversized. Just put a finger into either of the holes - if it's parallel braced, you'll feel a strut running along the surface @ parallel to the length of the guitar top. You can probably see them as well, simply by looking into the holes at a suitably oblique angle. Usually easier to feel or see on the bass side.