The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What should I know about buying acoustic guitar strings?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jackplans
    What should I know about buying acoustic guitar strings?

Guitar strings go through phases. They start out bright and jangly, eventually settle in to a nice medium tone with distinct overtones, then get to the point of being stiff and muddy. Any of these phases may suit your playing needs ( I had a friend who preferred dead strings), but most folks like that middle zone and gravitate to brands and sizes that stay in this phase the longest for maximum ROI. I like bronze-wound, meself, but am itching to sample some monels. It's all up to your hands and ears. A lot depeds on your specific guitar - scale length, nut width, action, etc. Be prepared to do some experimenting!

User Info Menu

Jackplans, citizenk74 gives good advice above. Strings also depends on the type of acoustic guitar you're playing and to a great extent the style of music you wish to play.

There are flat-tops, archtops, and Gypsy Jazz guitars (just to name three...) and each might require a different string type.

Most flat-top players prefer some sort of bronze strings; archtops often have bronze but Monel steel strings are also popular (and if you're going "electric", it could be flatwounds or half-wounds).

Gypsy Jazz guitars generally use Argentine or some other Gypsy Jazz strings which are similar to -- but not the same -- as silk and steel strings.

And if you fingerpick you might want different strings than a plectrum player. And if you play pre-bop it would be different than if you play bossa nova. Many factors go into making the choice.

The good news is strings are the least expensive change you can make on a guitar other than the picks. Even some picks are more expensive than a set of strings! You may need to do some experimenting as citizenk74 notes.

User Info Menu

Buy one set at a time
    Try it (taking good care on how you fit it on the guitar, a lot of tutos on Youtube for that)
    Judge it as explained above by ck74 and eddy, from the beginning and after some playing time.
    Then buy another one
    and on,
    and on,
    and on,
    The right combination strings/guitar/player will only determined by you : the player
    Good news : strings are not expensive, and you have plenty of time !