The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Just picked up a nice used Squier CV Tele double bound sunburst body and rosewood fretboard. It has what I believe is a non original bridge which has individual saddles ( which I like ) but has the option of being strung either top loader or through body, not sure of the brand or make. Is there an advantage going one way or another? I am planning on using TI Jazz Bebops 13 - 53 which is what I like on my archtop.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Through body should give a tad more sustain.

User Info Menu

The TI strings need to have the wind around the capstan start beyond the metal windings, if possible. Through the body would give a better chance of attaining that, I think. In any case, use whichever makes the strings longer.

User Info Menu

Ah thanks for pointing that out

Will

User Info Menu

Personally I have not found that TI strings sound particularly good on my solidbodies. But that's a highly personal thing and YMMV.

User Info Menu

Cunamara- I have a few sets laying around so thought that might be a place to start - any suggestions for some other good tele sets ? Trying for that nice creamy fat tone without it verging on muddy which is why I like the Bebops , they have a little roundwound edge. I see Chromes mentioned often but never liked them on other guitars so was thinking elsewhere.
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 09-07-2020 at 11:05 PM.

User Info Menu

topload the bebops...not thru body..bebops are pure nickel rounds on round core..the less bends the better

great string...after putting them on..fool with the pup heights a little bit to dial in your desired tone

bebops are great strings

and you dont have to go that heavy on solidbody guitar...you are not moving the top!...11's even ok...live 'n learn

cheers

User Info Menu

I have D’A Pure Nickels on mine. I think that’s a good match for this guitar.

TI strings on a Squier Tele? Might spend more in strings than you did on the guitar...LOL...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I have D’A Pure Nickels on mine. I think that’s a good match for this guitar.

TI strings on a Squier Tele? Might spend more in strings than you did on the guitar...LOL...
    Don't knock these CV Squiers until you’ve sat with one! Mine outclasses my old MIM Tele by a good margin. Bone stock, they hold their own really well...with a few upgrades they can be seriously sweet.

User Info Menu

I have really liked the tone of SIT nickels (plated, I think) on my solidbodies. I use 11-50s with a wound G.

User Info Menu

Ended up trying D'addario EJ21's 12-52/wound third- so far so nice!! We are bonding I'm exploring a lot of Ted Greene stuff right now and the neck feels really open to Ted's voicings. My 51' Gibson Super 300 archtop is pouting - won't even be in the same room - although I'm pretty sure it is sneaking peaks around the corner wondering where all these new sounds are coming from.

For what it is worth IMHO this little CV Squier Custom Tele is just a delight to explore with / have fun with / relax with ......

Cheers Will