The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 109 of 109

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    So, I have been experimenting for almost a year to get the most natural sound I can get from my ES125 when amplified. I love its sound unamplified: clear, clean, and resonant. And, I am trying to get as close as possible to that sound when amplified but it has been, at present, seemingly impossible. Another problem, I believe, is that my ears have been attuned to Artist Series Classical guitars for the last 30 plus years which are inherently richer, deeper, and more resonant than acoustic EG's played without amplification. So, I sometimes wonder if I'm looking for the Holy Grail or that, perhaps, there is a sound that I hear in my head somewhere in reality. I have been tweaking EQ/Guitar controls in every imaginable manner, but the sound remains illusive. I do realize the profound differences between a AG and a EG but that is not the problem. Have others here had similar experiences looking for their sound? Play live . . . Marinero
    I like to set the amp volume low enough that I can still hear the natural acoustic qualities of the guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

" I like the sound of electric guitars, and find the electric sound richer and more expresive, and a better fit timbrally with groups]." John A.

Hi, J,
    I don't agree completely with your above statement although EG's are a "better fit (timbrally-omit) with (most) groups." So, perhaps the epiphany is that the only commonality between EG's and CG's is six strings and identical pitch. Otherwise, they are completely different instruments. And, the depth of knowledge by many respondents in this post is really quite impressive and represents a lifetime of accumulated experience. I think every musician must seek his/her personal sound and the interplay between the EG guitar and amp is a major part of developing that indentity. Thanks for your response.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Really?
    I sometimes bump into youtube video where someone is praising a guitar or an amp and is demonstrating it on such low levels that i can hear the sound of the strings AND the amp.
    I never get this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Really?
    I sometimes bump into youtube video where someone is praising a guitar or an amp and is demonstrating it on such low levels that i can hear the sound of the strings AND the amp.
    I never get this.
    On YouTube videos that absolutely drives me nuts as well. But as the player, listening in the actual room, I find it provides a good mix of the acoustic and amplified sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    On YouTube videos that absolutely drives me nuts as well. But as the player, listening in the actual room, I find it provides a good mix of the acoustic and amplified sounds.
    I find pretty much all youtube gear demonstrations useless. This is one among many reasons.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    This only works in a comparatively small room though. If you are playing in an outdoor setting, a festival, or a large room with a good bit of ambient noise, you gotta turn up and leave the acoustic sound behind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This only works in a comparatively small room though. If you are playing in an outdoor setting, a festival, or a large room with a good bit of ambient noise, you gotta turn up and leave the acoustic sound behind.
    Right. This is just for home stuff. Every else it’s rock n roll city for me!

User Info Menu

My guitars are different enough, this would be difficult, Ibanez AZ242, 52 reissue tele and Ibanez AS120... through the Princeton they all sound different, with that fender color, with my boogie, they sound very similar to the fender, with more mids and more tone control. I'd love to have more guitars, to test this out with

User Info Menu

I’ve heard round string solid body guitars through a Polytone Brute and (on YouTube) a DV Micro Jazz. My LP junior cannot do that with any Fender amp. So for me it’s 100% the amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk