The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anybody use this model - Guild Starfire II ST?

Looks interesting.
    Kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

guild starfires are great guitars...in the 335 camp...but model you allude to has mini-humbuckers...for a little more p90's sound than typical humbuckers...the guild mini hums were always well rated

new guilds made by cordoba are nice quality guitars with vintage detail...

cheers

User Info Menu

Cordoba doesn't make the electrics - they are made under contract by factories in the far East As they say on the Guild website:

"Guild USA acoustic models, currently including the M, D, F, and F twelve-string body shapes, are proudly made in our Oxnard, California factory. The Westerly Collection acoustic guitar models are made in China by our skilled factory partners. Our Newark St. electric guitar models are made in South Korea, Indonesia, and China depending on the model. As our Oxnard facility grows, we will gradually add new models to our USA-made line including electric models."

User Info Menu

yeah the parent company is cordoba music group...they bought the guild (& dearmond) brand names from fmic a few years back...but the newark st line has always been asian made, from when fmic reintroduced the guild electric brand

i've played and worked on a few..very good quality

cheers

User Info Menu

I agree - these are excellent Korean guitars. I've played them at NAMM and in a few stores.
    The Savoy A-150 is cool. If I was looking, I'd grab one used, (carefully) remove the poly finish from the top and refinish the top in shellac - I bet it would sound decent as an acoustic archtop.

User Info Menu

yeah..savoy is great entry level (+) solid top arch with dearmond pup...agree abt the finish but..still, for guys looking for basic jazz retro design and tone...hard to beat till you hit the boutique makers...

the high k (resistance) dearmond 1000 pup is true vintage-

This pickup is constructed quite close to the specs of the original. It is a bit different from the Super Rhythm Chief 1100. The coil on the 1000 is wound in two sections around varying sizes of Alnico magnets, first over the E, A, D, and G magnets, then over the entire coil. The varying magnet sizes and dual coil compensates for the different string gauges and composition. The full DC resistance of the coil is approximately 15.7 K.

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-16-2020 at 08:28 PM.