The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 116

User Info Menu

We arrived in Halifax on Friday and we're now in quarantine for 14 days. Shipping from Mexico is very expensive so I sold off my amps before leaving with plans of getting a replacement once I got here. There are lots of choices and some basic conceptual decisions to be made.

Concept one: a clean class D head with a small cab. I've been considering the Bam200 and maybe the 6.5" Toob.

Concept two: a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe (and there's a return available at one of the big Canadian dealers for a decent price right now). This has seemed like a really popular option on the forum since it first came out.

Concept three: a preamp of some sort with either a powered FRFR cab or a class D amp and a small cab (again maybe a small Toob).

Any thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Glad you made it safely Jim.
    This looked interesting, but i have no experience with them
    Schertler Unico

User Info Menu

Hi Jim...Welcome to Canada!

I will be following this thread with interest and wish you all the best at getting an amp soon.

Sorry that I can't offer an educated and/or experienced-based opinion.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

Give the Tonemaster a chance. I have the Deluxe.
    Pros:
    -The the Fender tone is there.
    -The power attenurator is a feature that I have been searching for. (I found the Mesa Boogie California tweed with that feature. But it had 4 power and 6 preamp tubes.)
    -23 lbs.
    Cons:
    - It sells for $899. For a few hundred more you can buy the Reissue Deluxe.
    -The Tonemaster Deluxe recreates the orginal deluxe look. So you have 2 channels and the add lenght from that.
    -Reliability is unknown.
    - Ability to get it repaired by a local amp tech with the computer related tech in it.

User Info Menu

A marked down ToneMaster Deluxe is a good find.

User Info Menu

if you already have the prerequisites and you're so inclined, maybe some amp sims? amplitube is on sale, softube makes a few winners. not all "jazz" amps in the traditional sense, but they work. especially if you're handy with moving mics and swapping cabs and speakers and so forth. lots to choose from and you can potentially save a bunch if you already have an interface and some headphones and the like.

User Info Menu

I would go the BAM/cab route, but I'm not you. I have no experience with preamps and FRFR speakers, so I would be inclined to stay away from those. I don't like the sound of Fender amps, so I would not consider any of those. But I hesitate to make an actual recommendation, because my preferences are not yours. Depending on your plans, a combo like the DV Mark Little Jazz might make sense, since it's actually a little more portable, but I know you had one of those and you might not want another. My LJ has become my daily player, in preference to my GK MB-200 and AI Clarus/RE Stealth 10ER and my Fender Vibrolux Reverb. Those have been living in the closet for awhile now, because the LJ sounds so good and takes up so little space. But it's a subjectice subject. If I were starting over I think I would probably get a RE Luna and some cabinet, but fortunately for my pocketbook I have more amps than I need. I really should sell some of them off, but I don't really need the money, so I just hang on to them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I would go the BAM/cab route, but I'm not you. I have no experience with preamps and FRFR speakers, so I would be inclined to stay away from those. I don't like the sound of Fender amps, so I would not consider any of those. But I hesitate to make an actual recommendation, because my preferences are not yours. Depending on your plans, a combo like the DV Mark Little Jazz might make sense, since it's actually a little more portable, but I know you had one of those and you might not want another. My LJ has become my daily player, in preference to my GK MB-200 and AI Clarus/RE Stealth 10ER and my Fender Vibrolux Reverb. Those have been living in the closet for awhile now, because the LJ sounds so good and takes up so little space. But it's a subjectice subject. If I were starting over I think I would probably get a RE Luna and some cabinet, but fortunately for my pocketbook I have more amps than I need. I really should sell some of them off, but I don't really need the money, so I just hang on to them.
    I feel the same way. I use my LJ for almost everything, over a vintage Reverberocket and a JC55. Sounds great, it's loud enough for almost everything I do and it weighs so little at 15lbs that I feel no urge to get anything lighter or smaller. That Sgosnell uses it in preference to the Vibrolux (which some feel is the best Fender) and an AI/RE is telling.

User Info Menu

Jim,
    I know it sounds crazy but would you consider a 4th option? Please, please, please?
    Get yourself a Boss GT_001 and a set of nice open back Headphones (Sennheiser 700HD's are sublime, 650 HD's are really nice too)..
    Rid yourself of amps forever. This makes moving less cumbersome. Your wife will love me (well maybe not..) because she wont hear you play the same lines over and over and over again..
    Plus, this GT_001 will be your Digital interface.
    And, it has an Auxiliary input so you can learn/listen to tracks from an external source along with hearing what you are playing.
    Honestly, I will always have this as my main rig. I'll always have an amp, because it stops the door from hitting my hanging wall case that holds my Solid Formed..
    And the reason I suggest open back headphones is, better sound, less pressure on the ears, and you can hear outside of the headphones really well. Like when dinner is ready, Or actually hear the acoustic part of your guitar..
    Please, please, please... You gotta try this.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Jim,
    I know it sounds crazy but would you consider a 4th option? Please, please, please?
    Get yourself a Boss GT_001 and a set of nice open back Headphones (Sennheiser 700HD's are sublime, 650 HD's are really nice too)..
    Rid yourself of amps forever. This makes moving less cumbersome. Your wife will love me (well maybe not..) because she wont hear you play the same lines over and over and over again..
    Plus, this GT_001 will be your Digital interface.
    And, it has an Auxiliary input so you can learn/listen to tracks from an external source along with hearing what you are playing.
    Honestly, I will always have this as my main rig. I'll always have an amp, because it stops the door from hitting my hanging wall case that holds my Solid Formed..
    And the reason I suggest open back headphones is, better sound, less pressure on the ears, and you can hear outside of the headphones really well. Like when dinner is ready, Or actually hear the acoustic part of your guitar..
    Please, please, please... You gotta try this.
    Joe D
    Hi Joe. Part of me wishes I had seen this an hour ago. I just ordered the Tonemaster Deluxe at a very hefty discount, (although it could probably be cancelled). But this not a fourth option, it's exactly what I was referring to in option 3, just with headphones instead an FRFR cab. But I must say, I sure like the sound you get. I didn't know that's what you were using. I'll have to toss this around in my head a bit.

User Info Menu

I like the tone Hideo Date gets out of his Milkman The Amp 50w and Raezer's Edge 6 cabinet.

User Info Menu

Jim: Welcome back to our silly but pleasant little country.

User Info Menu

Hey Jim, glad you made it safely!
    Too late, I guess, but I'd second the Raezer's Edge recommendation above.

User Info Menu

Here is an 80's orange Cube 60 for sale in Halifax. 300$ is not cheap for this amp but may be you can negotiate:
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-amp-pedal/ci...amp/1514170206

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hey Jim, glad you made it safely!
    Too late, I guess, but I'd second the Raezer's Edge recommendation above.
    We made it but we really won't know for a couple of weeks if we made it safely. We had a LOT of unavoidable exposure over the last two weeks including the two Mexican airports and flights. Quarantine isn't much fun but if ever there were two people who ought to be quarantined here, it's us.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    We made it but we really won't know for a couple of weeks if we made it safely. We had a LOT of unavoidable exposure over the last two weeks including the two Mexican airports and flights. Quarantine isn't much fun but if ever there were two people who ought to be quarantined here, it's us.
    great selfless attitude!! wishin you & yours all the best with that..as well as with the new amp

cheers

User Info Menu

If you want to do play on low volumes I heartily recommend them Yamaha 10c which I have and has increased my playing time by a factor of 10 also after a year. Perhaps the 10a suits your sound better. Reverb and stereo just give low level sound body that my tubes don’t.
    Best of luck isolating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Darn Jim, I thought you had moved there permanently. Welcome back to Canada and well wishes to you and your wife on being virus free!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Darn Jim, I thought you had moved there permanently. Welcome back to Canada and well wishes to you and your wife on being virus free!
    Us too Greg. For 18 months it was fabulous and felt like home ... then the roof caved in.

User Info Menu

Hi Jim
    I have a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb - I like it very much. It is different to the DV Mark and some of the other amps suggested here, it has that pronounced "Fender" sound. That said, I love mine - it's super portable and sounds to my ears just like the real thing. The attenuator is really useful too, I rarely run mine above the 5 watt setting - that's loud enough for most gigs.
    Personally having heard your playing here on the forum, I think you'd sound incredible through one of these. They have a very rich low end that would compliment your drop tuning nicely.

User Info Menu

Hi Jim, glad you made safely it to Canada in these "complicated" times. I have both the ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb and the BAM200+Toob Metro 6.5BG (for bass and guitar).

• Tonemaster - real Fender tone, attenuation, XLR out and 3 impulse response settings. Lighter then its tube sister by half. Clean to 4/5, then hair, and overdrive is nicely progressive past 5/6. Taming the reverb takes some learning, but I'm happy with it now. Tremolo is excellent but the slowest setting is not slow enough for me, so I use a pedal for some numbers. Great combo.
    • BAM200+Toob 6.5BG - Great cleans, pushing the gain with master volume low gives nice break-up. No reverb, so a pedal like a HOF will be necessary if you need reverb. Also works fine with my Höfner Beatle bass, is surprisingly full with good projection. Less mid-scoop than the TMDR. Size and weight mean I can carry amp+speaker up and downstairs very easily - more so than the TMDR, which whilst light at 22lbs is bulky.

Both setups take pedals well.

I use both, depending on my mood and I can recommend both setups without hesitation.

Be sure to let us know what you choose.
    Ray

User Info Menu

Jim,
    I have been using the Blug Amp1 with the Nanocab. Nanotube in the power section so the clean sounds are delicious and make the amp well worth it for me. I play solo jazz with a carved archtop, R&B on a solid body, big band with archtop/335/solid body, and country chicken pickin on a Tele. The distortion channels are good too, but the best part is the clean side with the boost, otherwise I would not have gotten it. It's a warm but lively sound. The Nanocab is stupid light and small. I have kept up with a marshall 50W with a 4x12 bottom in a UK pub band. The only downside is carrying and plugging in a speaker cable. He also has a larger 1 x 12 cab called the fatcab which I like better...more open, but larger and heavier. The nanocab is "old man light"...no, it's "old woman light." 22 Lb and the amp1 fits in my guitar bag.

The quilter products should be considered. There's quite a range.

Can't say enough about a used Musicman RD 50 112. Beautiful clean sounds but 50 W of great club power. Very useful distortion channel that sounds lovely with gain turned down and rocks as needed. $500-800 used and a reissue has been released within the last year for a bit over a grand.

User Info Menu

Here's hoping for a dull two week quarantine.

You'll love the Tonemaster Deluxe. The attenuation switch and the direct out are wonderful additional features to an excellent sounding amp.

User Info Menu

Joe et al:

those Sennheiser hd700 headphones are no longer manufactured. Their tech support told me the HD660 would be the closest product!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Joe et al:

those Sennheiser hd700 headphones are no longer manufactured. Their tech support told me the HD660 would be the closest product!
    I use the HD598 as my default iPad phones. I think they are low, 30ohm?, impedance. Great sound.