Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 116 of 116
  1. #101

    User Info Menu

    Sounds good. I was surprised to receive a notification last night that it had shipped. I should have it later today.

    Cary

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #102

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Wait, you're going to live in a 71 Gibson? A guess a Super 400 might work.

    John


    Actually we withdrew our offer. We found something we like even better!

  4. #103

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway


    Actually we withdrew our offer. We found something we like even better!
    better than that place for $240k? It must be something!

  5. #104

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    better than that place for $240k? It must be something!
    It more that it's better suited to us. A little smaller house, and a much smaller yard right in the middle of the downtown area, 5 minutes walk from a in-city lake, walking distance to the biggest park in the area full of trails, and the house is completely renovated so we wouldn't have to do anything. It really is perfect for us. We'd be much less car dependent and life would be more interesting. The other house was really beautiful and we would have been happy there but it was bigger than we needed, the property was much bigger than I really wanted to take care of, and we were planning on putting in another $25K in upgrades. BTW, for anyone following this ... These are CANADIAN DOLLARS ... $240,000 CDN = $179,000 US.

  6. #105

    User Info Menu

    Property is ridiculously cheap in parts of Canada. One can’t find anything but a tiny fixer here for $400k, and a very very small yard.

    I hope you get it Jim!

  7. #106

    User Info Menu

    Yes, that sounds like a sweet deal, and a great location!

  8. #107

    User Info Menu

    A basement guitar studio is in your future.

  9. #108

    User Info Menu

    Well that went about as poorly as it could. We passed on house #1 and we went after house #2 with the kind of offer that fell solidly into the "an offer you can't refuse" category fully expecting to have a deal by the end of the afteroon. Unfortunately the sellers basically decided they were no long sure they really wanted to sell their home after all. In the mean time house #1 sold that morning. So we're basically financially secure homeless people.

    Oh well. I guess there are worse things to be. At least we complete quarentine tonight and neither of us have shown any symptoms and for that I am grateful. I still don't own a device with a speaker bigger than 2" but that has to wait until I have an address to which they can be delivered.

  10. #109

    User Info Menu

    Oh, man! Sorry to hear that, Jim!

  11. #110

    User Info Menu

    Good luck with the spark, Copablitz. I’ve watched endless YouTube clips and that one doesn’t convince me. Only distorted sounds is a red flag to me. The reason I picked the THR is the stereo which allows satisfactory playing at low volumes. But I hope I’m wrong and the spark gives good clean tones and spatial sound.
    Last edited by Eck; 08-08-2020 at 06:38 PM.

  12. #111

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Oh, man! Sorry to hear that, Jim!
    Apparently all's well that ends well ... They've accepted our original offer and it appears that we've bought a beautiful house in Moncton, New Brunswick. Now I can start "gearing up".

  13. #112

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Apparently all's well that ends well ... They've accepted our original offer and it appears that we've bought a beautiful house in Moncton, New Brunswick. Now I can start "gearing up".
    Congratulations !!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #113

    User Info Menu

    Congratulations !

    Hope you and your wife enjoy your new home and living in Moncton.

  15. #114

    User Info Menu

    Jim,
    that's great news. Sounds like a wonderful place to live and play your music!
    Enjoy both!
    Steve

  16. #115

    User Info Menu

    What eck, greco and sky said, hopefully you can put some roots down Jim!

  17. #116

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Anyone else have experience with iRig and amplitude? I’ve got one and used it twice. I don’t think I can work with it. I’d rather get a microcube, at least there’s a doable Roland JC in there I believe.
    i don't have an irig, but i have amplitube 4 max (on sale for $100 for the rest of the month) and with some fairly large caveats that apply to most any solution (1- you need a decent di/interface/preamp and 2- you need to know what you're doing ) i can highly recommend it. i didn't find it to be super plug and play, which is what i think trips people up about amplitube and leads them to other amp sims. i did a fair amount of tweaking to get the sounds i wanted, which may or may not be the intended sounds for each amp. but it is imperative that you play with the mic placement (and/or selection), cabinet and/or speaker selection (i generally prefer the cab/speakers the correspond to an amp, but not always) and the mic balance in the channel strip (a little room mic helps a lot).

    none of that is particularly difficult, but you need a decent ear and a bit of patience. it gets easier and faster as you go along. but it is critical, in my view; very much the difference between a usable product and trash. but now that it's done, i have several go to amps and presets, and with the stand alone app, i'm up in running in about 30 seconds. my tones are record ready, and there are enough fun, silly options (effects and amps and such) to keep things amusing, should i feel the need to explore, or tailor a sound to a specific guitar or pickup.

    i can't really speak to the authenticity of each amp (curiously, some guitars or pickups prefer certain amps) but i'm very pleased with the feel and the tones i'm getting. and for what i paid, i'm set for life and have no reason to complain. there is a lot of crap to wade through (if you choose to), some of the sims are just ancient at this point, and i prefer my softube plugins for marshall sounds, but amplitube is still a winner after all these years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    It more that it's better suited to us. A little smaller house, and a much smaller yard right in the middle of the downtown area, 5 minutes walk from a in-city lake, walking distance to the biggest park in the area full of trails, and the house is completely renovated so we wouldn't have to do anything. It really is perfect for us. We'd be much less car dependent and life would be more interesting. The other house was really beautiful and we would have been happy there but it was bigger than we needed, the property was much bigger than I really wanted to take care of, and we were planning on putting in another $25K in upgrades. BTW, for anyone following this ... These are CANADIAN DOLLARS ... $240,000 CDN = $179,000 US.
    as someone who's lived in los angeles their entire life, this is probably the most infuriating thing i've ever read. $180,000 is an insured car over here.

    best of luck in your cool new home/city/adventure.