The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Somebody wanted to hear the 350. Here's an impromptu 5 minute impro on the changes of Angel Eyes. At least 2 minutes too long but that guitar is sooo nice. I did not prepare this so it is a bit more noodly than usual.

DB

Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 07-19-2020 at 06:32 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is the classic 1950's Tal Farlow / Jimmy Raney tone right there. It is impossible to get better than that. Bravo Dick ! That 350 was worth every penny Sir.

User Info Menu

Damn, that's so sweet Thank you for posting this!
    My favorite one of all 3 recordings you made with the polytone.

Btw, everyday i'm drooling over your es-300 on marktplaats. Probably half the views are mine .

User Info Menu

That is what I call tone, a dream guitar without doubt!
    Great playing too !

User Info Menu

DB, that rig right there is all you need. I have sworn off buying more guitars, but now I am gonna start watching 350's (with P-90's).

Browsing this forum can be an expensive thing......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    DB, that rig right there is all you need. I have sworn off buying more guitars, but now I am gonna start watching 350's (with P-90's). Browsing this forum can be an expensive thing......
    I know what you mean. I often get GAS myself after seeing a beautiful guitar, especially a nice vintage one. Still, the ES 350 has always been my dream guitar. People always wonder why not an L5 or Super 400 ... but after hearing Tal's 1950s stuff this was the guitar for me. And then a blonde one came my way against all odds an hour's drive away (these are super rare in Europe and in my country I have never even seen one for sale in 20 years). The 350 is bebop heaven.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    DB, that rig right there is all you need. I have sworn off buying more guitars, but now I am gonna start watching 350's (with P-90's).

Browsing this forum can be an expensive thing......
    You are not off the hook yet, I;m sure that Vinnyv1k , and DB will also encourage you to acquire a Tal Farlow
    sorely underrated , and Gibson's best kept secret ( ack, Vinny ) and much less $$ than an original Es350,
    both however a worthwhile investment, according to Enablers R us. and financial advisors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Damn, that's so sweet Thank you for posting this!
    My favorite one of all 3 recordings you made with the polytone.

Btw, everyday i'm drooling over your es-300 on marktplaats. Probably half the views are mine .
    Are you in the Netherlands? You should buy this guitar. I really do not understand it's not gone already. A 300 like mine (mint condition, blonde, all original) won't come for sale again in these parts. Man, it's a #%^& museum piece! Really bizarre. Order a new ES Gibson and you will probably pay more ...

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    You are not off the hook yet, I;m sure that Vinnyv1k , and DB will also encourage you to acquire a Tal Farlow
    sorely underrated , and Gibson's best kept secret ( ack, Vinny ) and much less $$ than an original Es350,
    both however a worthwhile investment, according to Enablers R us. and financial advisors. 007
    Yes. SS needs a Tal Farlow too. But next to his ES 350!

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog

DB
    Yes DB, most certainly , SS should not have one without the other, everyone here drools over your
    ES350
    I agree with our friend Vinny that it was worth every penny, a once in a lifetime acquisition, In the
    unlikelihood that it came up for sale ,it would be snatched from your grasp in the flicker of an eye I
    suggest.
    I also hold the Tal Farlow in very high esteem having owned three , in more than 20 years, and have
    been surprised, until recently that they were not in greater demand, Tal and Jimmy Raney were
    the first Jazz guitarists I heard of as a youngster, and have been an admirer of both for a long time.
    My only regrets are that I never got to see JR, and could never play like either, I did see Tal here
    twice on his visits to the UK and spoke to him @ Pizza Express gig IIRC. a gentleman.

User Info Menu

Out of all the signature models that came out in the 1960's, only 1 survived till present day. The Tal Farlow Model......and with good reason. Basically a ES350 that Tal tweaked a bit. The TF model is very commanding both in looks and sound.

User Info Menu

That's a 'tone drooling' guitar if I ever heard one. Great playing too DB!

User Info Menu

Old P-90s and old wood is, in my opinion, as good as it gets. Nice job!

User Info Menu

Man I’d sure love to hear a Martin in a church with 50 ft ceilings..

User Info Menu

That was stunning. Seriously, had I not known, I'd seriously have thought that was TF playing. The tone is lethal. The playing simply exceptional. You have definitely found the guitar that is your voice, your vehicle for your musical vision. Amazing.

User Info Menu

DB, that's about as good as it gets.

IMO, the 350 through a Polytone IS jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    That was stunning. Seriously, had I not known, I'd seriously have thought that was TF playing. The tone is lethal. The playing simply exceptional. You have definitely found the guitar that is your voice, your vehicle for your musical vision. Amazing.
    Blush. You may be giving me a bit too much credit here but thanks for the kind words anyway Lawson. That guitar fits me like a glove yes!

DB

User Info Menu

Blush. You may be giving me a bit too much credit here but thanks for the kind words anyway Lawson. That guitar fits me like a glove yes!

DB
    It's so evident. This was a great musician-instrument match, to be sure.

User Info Menu

fantastic DB !
    and
    i loved the descending figure at 4.50 !

yeah that guitar makes all its energy at the front of the note , like a good string bass .... beautiful

Will you take that 350 out to play when we can actually get out to gig , that is !

(not sure if I would or not)

User Info Menu

Awesome tone, awesome playing, awesome guitar.

User Info Menu

DB
    How about fitting a Tal with P90s? "Poor" man's ES350.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    How about fitting a Tal with P90s? "Poor" man's ES350.

The Tal Farlow sounds very good with the Standard Gibson '57 Classic pickups, I would not want
    to change them to P90;s. That's not to say I would not want a Es350 with them.
    I owned a 350T some time ago , but that's a very different proposition.

User Info Menu

The reissue 1992 ES350T didn’t hold a candle to a TF model IMO.
    It lacked those nice lows.

User Info Menu

For those drooling for an ES-350. Larry Wexer has a real nice one in very good condition. The set up is supposedly excellent and you might even get it for 6k.

Spoke with Larry about this and some other guitars yesterday . Larry is a no risk seller- the upmost integrity when it comes to representation.

1949 Gibson ES-350 Sunburst > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Laurence Wexer Ltd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    fantastic DB !
    and
    i loved the descending figure at 4.50 !

yeah that guitar makes all its energy at the front of the note , like a good string bass .... beautiful

Will you take that 350 out to play when we can actually get out to gig , that is !

(not sure if I would or not)
    Thanks.

Ha, you mean my "falling down the stairs lick." You have to place that one carefully so that it resolves well.

Would I take it out to gig. Yes, but only under known and controlled circumstances. Not when I am uncertain about the place. And never ever to jams.

DB