The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I'm currently playing a 1980 Gibson ES-175D and am in the market for a new jazz amp as I've used a Marshall Valvestate for 7 years now.
    The main tone I'm going for is the Joe Pass Jazzbaltica tone in Germany. To me this tone is the best jazz tone I've ever heard in my life.
    Recently, there was a post on craigslist with a a 70s(felt material outside) Polytone Mini Brute 5 with the rare 2X10 Speakers. The amp is going for about $350.
    What do you guys think? Should I buy it? The amp is all original and looks very clean. Do you guys think it will likely combine with my 175 for the Jazzbaltica tone I'm going for?
    Is it a good idea to bring my 175 and try it out first at the sellers house or just trust the amp and buy? Sorry for the questions, just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you are picking up the amp, why not try it first?
    Or do you mean that you are going to pick it up (and try it first) or send it by mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    If you are picking up the amp, why not try it first?
    Or do you mean that you are going to pick it up (and try it first) or send it by mail?
    I'm picking it up, the seller lives pretty close to me.

User Info Menu

In that case . . . . take your guitar and try it. See if you like it. Check out if the knobs work and/or give any noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    In that case . . . . take your guitar and try it. See if you like it. Check out if the knobs work and/or give any noise.
    Okay thanks, I will for sure take my guitar and play through it. Do you think this specific amp will get me close to that Joe Pass 175 Jazz Baltica tone?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I couldn't tell. All i know is that aiming for a recorded tone (on an album i mean) is pretty much impossible. You don't know what they did to the sound.
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 06-17-2020 at 12:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Joe worked many years to get this sound with his fingers, it didn't come over night for sure !
    He played with a combination of nail and fingertip, like many classical players do but in his case the guitar had steel strings, which made it extra tough on the nails.
    When he played a solo gig he barely turned up his amp, just enough so that he heard himself on stage. A Polytone amp of that era has a distinctive sound but it's up to you and your diligence to make it work like want it to. Good luck !