The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Parlor, OM, Aud, etc. I'm playing *very* close to the bridge with decent results. Those "in the know" (us) listening would know the difference. I think the casual listener would not. The downside is, the high string tension so close to the bridge is brutal for picking. Might experiment with lighter strings.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've heard good examples played on low-to-mid-priced flattops. My interpretation on the recipe: heavy-gauge strings, very low action and no neck relief for that distinctive "sawtooth" or rattle in the tone.

User Info Menu

I snapped the neck on my GJ guitar just at the start of lockdown, so have been playing rhythm on my Tanglewood acoustic. I'm actually reasonably happy with the sound. But I'll probably revise my opinion when I get the Gypsy Jazzer back, which hopefully won't be too much longer. Been using the Aria archtop for lead in the meantime.

Derek

User Info Menu

I have used a Dreadnaught in Gypsy jazz Djams. While it is not the best tone for lead (they do great for rhythm), if you have a loud example, it keeps up just fine.

But as always, "aint nothing like the real thing...."

User Info Menu

I have 3 acoustic guitars and the most recent I bought is the one I am using for jazz: it's a Recording King RNJ26. It's a recentish guitar, about 2014 or so. It's a copy of the Nick Lucas/Greenwich Village guitar - a parlour size with a deep body. It sometimes reminds me of the sound of the grande bouche Gypsy guitar I used to have. When you hit it hard it has this sharp tone. Then again if you listen to Nick Lucas records it's not entirely surprising that it should be good for jazz.

User Info Menu

I've only heard one flattop keep up in a full gypsy jam, and that's Eric Skye with his sig Santa Cruz. Otherwise, no, in general a flattop or archtop will not be able to keep up in a loud jam. Having said that, of course if you're playing with good players, they'll adjust their volume to you so it can be made to work.

If you really wanna be heard in an acoustic jam, use a resonator

As for tone, yes, playing back by the bridge will give you some of the GJ flavor, as will using a heavy pick.

I'm off to the social distanced jam!

User Info Menu

This Tommy guy seems to know what to do with a flattop.

User Info Menu

I occasionally play GJ on my Martin JM, and playing close to the bridge with 13ths and a heavy pick gets a good sound - but as you say, its brutal on the picking hand. I suspect if I played with a parametric eq I could get an approximation of the sound by playing further from the bridge, but that won't solve the pure acoustic sound question.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    But as always, "aint nothing like the real thing...."
    ..baaby...

User Info Menu

I'm just starting to learn Jazz Manouche, playing my Taylor 414ce with martin SP 11s. I'll consider an Altamira or Eastman if I get actual gig prospects. But that's a long way off. And now, back to triads...