The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KenyaMan
    Do you know what material was used for round wound strings in the 1600s that were mentioned? Steel strings didn't appear until 1874, but not for guitars until the 1890s, right?
    I am fairly sure none survive from before the eighteenth century, but they would have gut cores. They were probably overwound with copper, although other soft metals would also work.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I read an interview with Johnny smith who said basically by mid 50s flat were being used but those early ones were ‘awful’ and he preferred to take round wounds and wear the winds down himself with a glass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    When I took up guitar at the age of 10 (1966) I thought flat wounds were all you could get. Monopole? Cathedral?
    Same with me(and Black Diamond). Grew up on flatwounds then I think it was early 70's and Ernie ball and Jimi Hendrix slinky strings

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KenyaMan
    Do you know what material was used for round wound strings in the 1600s that were mentioned? Steel strings didn't appear until 1874, but not for guitars until the 1890s, right?

In the 1600s they use Gut strings & the Round Wound Basses used Silver. Flatwound strings came as 1874 by Hamilton & they were a late 19th Century Invention. They were originally made to replace the Gut strings because they last many times as long, hold tune better, & the flat surface makes bowing on the strings easier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dazzaman
    I am fairly sure none survive from before the eighteenth century, but they would have gut cores. They were probably overwound with copper, although other soft metals would also work.

Actually they were all Gut strings. Hamilton invented Flatwound Steel strings for Bowed Stringed instruments so he deserves credit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6v6ster
    I read an interview with Johnny smith who said basically by mid 50s flat were being used but those early ones were ‘awful’ and he preferred to take round wounds and wear the winds down himself with a glass.

Magma Flatwound strings actually start out as Round Wound Strings & then they flatten the wrap wire all the way down so they're more like "Super Groundwounds".