The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was remembering the recent thread on Jr Barnyard and similar pedals, the promise of that fat, octal sort of amp sound. It's a sound I know from the old amps, and would not mind having one bit. But I wasn't looking for it.

Took delivery today of a used Vertex Steel String boost pedal. I keep looking for that little extra sound, post clean boost, to go with archtops. Have tried several worthy pedals, but nothing really did the trick. I've been using the Vertex boost on my little nano board, for clean boost, so figured the other Vertex pedal might do well.

Tried it first on another board. No archtops, a tele. Two tube amps and one SS (a Quilter OD200). The Steel String does something I like. Edge with some compression, no overwhelming, and a way to dial out bass. So far, so good. Up in my office, with the other board, I tried it into the DV Mark micro 50 CTM, through a 1x12 pine cab with a reverend alltone 1250 speaker. Using my old Guild X50, with most of the tone rolled off. And here it sounded completely different. Not like the sound I got with the tele. Just like some of the clips I'm remembering from that long thread on octal sounds here.

Vertex Boost: 10:30
    Steel String Volume 9:30, Gain 2:00

Then tried the Ibanez AKJ95 with Seth Lovers, same amp and cab. To get that octal sort of sound, I had to roll the tone off further than I usually would, maybe half way, and tweed the Steel String:

Volume 9:00, Gain 2:30

Not sure what to conclude. This may all be a happy accident of how these pedals combine, through the rather fat sounding DV Mark head. I was not getting this sound with a tele, even with the tone rolled off, through other amps.

Vertex Steel String Boost Pedal -That octal sound in a pedal-vertex-steel-string-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you're able could you post some examples of your tone finds? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Would love to hear some samples!
    My Jr. Barnyard is making all sorts of high pitched hissing sounds at the moment. I've already had to mend it once when it completely stopped working. Would be interested in finding a more reliable alternative.

User Info Menu

I posted before that I was surprised that my vintage Reverberocket with octal 7591's didn't sound all that much different from my DV Mark Little Jazz.

I compared them while adding some reverb in front, with an ME80, and then adding some more reverb with each amp. Not super wet, overall, but with a little from the ME80 and a little from the amp.

The Little Jazz has a very warm sound. I haven't been using my Ampeg, even at home, since I got the LJ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I posted before that I was surprised that my vintage Reverberocket with octal 7591's didn't sound all that much different from my DV Mark Little Jazz.

I compared them while adding some reverb in front, with an ME80, and then adding some more reverb with each amp. Not super wet, overall, but with a little from the ME80 and a little from the amp.

The Little Jazz has a very warm sound. I haven't been using my Ampeg, even at home, since I got the LJ.
    I have a LJ too - agreed it's a very warm sounding amp. Especially with the mid-range control wound up you can get a sound that reminds me a lot of an Ampeg amp.

I think the Jr. Barnyard aims more for the Gibson EH150/185 sound more than the Ampeg sound- it's a bit more raw, compressed and 'furry' sounding. There is this nice break up that mainly affects the low end.I had great results using it with the LJ. It was a very authentic 40's kind of sound.

User Info Menu

I think my Mojomojo does a good job of capturing that Gibson Tweed octal sound. Bear in mind that I only know that tone from Youtube clips.