The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Help! I have an Epiphone Es-175 premium (great guitar!) and recently noticed some paint starting to chip, more and more with each passing week. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong to make this happen, but can anyone explain why this might be occurring? I'd like to know how to prevent this from happening if I ever upgrade to a more expensive instrument. This guitar isn't that old! 5 years maybe.

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

Paint Chipping help!-img_1321-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's odd. My 175 is about 5 years old and doesn't show anything like that. I don't know why the finish is cracking and chipping off.

User Info Menu

Have you owned the guitar since it was new?

I've seen "chips" like this that resulted from some impact on the fingerboard--usually when the guitar has been dropped.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Didn't EPI shoot that Premium in nitro, or a matte lacquer? I'm almost certain they did. If so, that's an easy fix.

User Info Menu

Don't know why but I've seen many posts on various forums that some badly applied poly finishes don't stick (?) to the woods at all.

User Info Menu

OH MAN i was JUST looking at these on Reverb, that stinks man, that would give me heartburn for months if that happened to me. So sorry man, i hope you find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Didn't EPI shoot that Premium in nitro, or a matte lacquer? I'm almost certain they did. If so, that's an easy fix.
    how so?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MHoranzy
    how so?
    they're done in a matte lacquer, aka nitro. Check the web, you'll find your answer.

Epiphone ES-175 premium 2013 vs 2015

Some owners simply rubbed out the matte lacquer to a high gloss, which looked really good on these guitars.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-14-2020 at 10:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Improper prep in that spot prior to shooting the finish? If there was oil or dust on the wood, that'd certainly impair adhesion of the finish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Improper prep in that spot prior to shooting the finish? If there was oil or dust on the wood, that'd certainly impair adhesion of the finish.
    That's my life of thinking, or possibly an imperfection in the wood, maybe some sort of sap area that couldn't be seen w the naked eye.

User Info Menu

But also look up by the fingerboard. I am with Tony D, it looks like that guitar took an impact to the headstock.