The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really like the sound of my EBMM StingRay and AER Compact 60. It’s got a crisp attack and detail I’m not really getting with my Deluxe Reverb Tone Master. I read mixed reviews before getting an acoustic amp to use with solid body electrics but I’m very happy with it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have done many, many jazz gigs (most of them solo, and all well compensated) with my AER Compact 60 and either my Les Paul or my Humbucker equipped Stratocaster.

Both the audience and Myself were quite pleased with the "jazz guitar" tone. (Nobody ever complained )

User Info Menu

Acoustic amps typically have full-range speakers, with a flat response curve extending to 10 kHz and above. They are more HiFi than typical guitar amps, designed to project the harmonic overtones of acoustic instruments. Apparently, you are happy with the clarity and separation of the AER. Some jazz guitarists I know complain about the thinness of the bass end. And surely, the AER is not the right box for overdriven sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Acoustic amps typically have full-range speakers, with a flat response curve extending to 10 kHz and above. They are more HiFi than typical guitar amps, designed to project the harmonic overtones of acoustic instruments. Apparently, you are happy with the clarity and separation of the AER. Some jazz guitarists I know complain about the thinness of the bass end. And surely, the AER is not the right box for overdriven sounds.
    IMO, overdriven sounds require tubes.I have never been fully happy with overdriven sounds from a ss amp, though for convenience, I have used a grab and go ss combo with an overdrive pedal on gigs where I was willing to give up perfect tone in order to not carry a tube amp.

Also, I think for a fat bass response, you need a 10 inch speaker or better, but I have been OK with the 8 inch speaker Compact 60 , my Raezer's Edge NY-8 and I am somewhat impresssed with how Henriksen is able to deliver so much bass response through my Blu 6.

I’m not nearly competent or confident enough to play jazz gigs but I enjoy practicing with good gear

User Info Menu

Many of the people active on the pages are over 60 or 70. You have plenty of time ahead.

User Info Menu

I 've used mine with electrics to play punk, metal and industrial music in theatre.. it can do everything!

straight into the Aer

Boss Gt-1 for effects, Boss Rc-300 looper, into the Aer again, it was a live performance of the movie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    I really like the sound of my EBMM StingRay and AER Compact 60. It’s got a crisp attack and detail I’m not really getting with my Deluxe Reverb Tone Master. I read mixed reviews before getting an acoustic amp to use with solid body electrics but I’m very happy with it!

I tried a Roland AC60 and couldn't get a sound I liked. Seemed to be voiced for a lot of pick attack. Sounded nice on folk strumming.

But, I've felt fine about the Compact 60 on a gig. I regularly use the DV Mark Little Jazz. Solid or semihollow with a block doesn't make much difference to me. Maybe the best tone I ever heard was a full body into a Twin, but that doesn't mean that sound will work for everyone.

In general, I think it's possible to get a very good jazz sound out of solid body and solid state.