The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My Guild X-700 has a couple of chips in the finish by the fret ends on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets. The larger chip on the 3rd fret is a bit sharp, but it feels a bit sharp, so it seems like its the fret edge i keep catching.

Is there a fix for this that I might be able to do at home until things open up again and i can get repaired?

Also, did anyone see that auction for that Blonde X-700 on Ebay that went for $1,450?

Thanks in advance!
    Help: Guild X-700 fret binding....-guild-neck-binding-issue-jpg
    Last edited by DMgolf66; 05-09-2020 at 12:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Okie dokie, lol!

User Info Menu

Perhaps a bit of cellophane tape to smooth things a bit? There would still be a micro-catch, but not so sharp. Good luck!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 05-10-2020 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

Is the fret end protruding past the binding or are you feeling the fret end below the chip?

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Also, did anyone see that auction for that Blonde X-700 on Ebay that went for $1,450?

That guitar was in Kyrgyzstan. International shipping scares off many buyers.

I had an opportunity to buy an X-700 Benedetto Stuart for $2k about 6 years ago. Still kicking myself for not buying it.

Last edited by MaxTwang; 05-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Is the fret end protruding past the binding or are you feeling the fret end below the chip?

That guitar was in Kyrgyzstan. International shipping scares off many buyers.

I had an opportunity to buy an X-700 Benedetto Stuart for $2k about 6 years ago. Still kicking myself for not buying it.

Yep, you're right. Figured that wouldve scared off some. Also I dont believe they were the original pickups. Still looked all original other than that.

Further inspection shows I'm feeling the fret end. It's an issue I've never gotten fixed because some times are worse than others it seems. Maybe since I put the humidifier away it's gotten a little worse.

Cellophane tape?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Yep, you're right. Figured that wouldve scared off some. Also I dont believe they were the original pickups. Still looked all original other than that.

Further inspection shows I'm feeling the fret end. It's an issue I've never gotten fixed because some times are worse than others it seems. Maybe since I put the humidifier away it's gotten a little worse.

Cellophane tape?
    I'm not sure the long-term effects of cellophane tape on lacquer, probably OK short term. Long term would be filing the fret ends. If you're good with tools here's a fret end dressing file and a video on the page.
    Fret End Dressing File | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

If the fret end is sticking out and catching your finger, it can be fixed easily with a file. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about fret end dressing. I use a fret crowning file at a downward angle just at the edge of the fret to knock off the end and round the fret. Easy does it. Just a couple of strokes often does the trick.

To fill the hole over the binding, how about a drop of lacquer? One repair guy I know uses clear nail polish, which is really nitro lacquer, for small drop fills like that.

User Info Menu

See about 13:40 on this video:

User Info Menu

A dab of either cyanoacrylate or UV resin in the chip should take care of it. The problem with filing the fret end is that when the chips are fixed, the fret may be too short. Or maybe not, hard to tell without being able to see it up close. If it were mine, I would put just a small drop of UV resin in the chip, make sure it covers the chip without going anywhere else, and hit it with UV light. You can wipe as necessary before the UV light and remove excess. Get it looking right before you start the cure, and it should be invisible. Clear nail polish would probably work, and is easier to obtain. Not that the UV is hard to get, it's available on ebay, along with UV lights. But whichever you prefer.