The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ibanez 2453 Howard Roberts 1977?-screenshot_20200507_074052-jpg

This Ibanez Howard Roberts from 1977 is on sale a hundred miles from my place. It seems in great condition. It has been modified with a genuine GB10 pickup.
    There is very little information on this guitar, and I cannot go and try it before the situation gets better here in France with the virus.
    Any thoughts on this particular instrument?
    Is it possible to get a good jazz sound out of it?
    My goal is also to play it as a couch guitar, unplugged. Although I know it won't sound like an acoustic archtop, will it still be decent?
    One detail on the construction that I find curious is the oval sound hole, like gypsy guitars. Maybe it sounds a bit similar?
    I like the "smokey" sound when plugged in, does this model can approach the ES 175?
    Any information on this one is very welcome.
    Thanks in advance

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These have a good reputation.

I have a similar Gibson version. I've actually had another one as well made earlier in Kalamazoo as an Epiphone. They don't sound gypsy bright to me.

Amplified, it sounds rich and holds its own against a 175. The scale length is longer and it has 22 frets.

Can you get a good jazz sound out of it? Absolutely.

Thumbs up.

User Info Menu

The guitars Hoshino made around this vintage tended to be built heavier than their American counterparts. This makes them a bit weighty and the Howard Roberts was no exception. They also seem to be a little more reserved acoustically because of their construction. But aside from the physical weight, it's a nice balance, especially for couch use. Not as responsive as a gypsy guitar, it's certainly well suited for jazz. The sound hole opens the sound up more than the F hole brethren and if it has a GB10 pickup on it, the change is a good one; the Benson pickups are a little more sensitive and rounded than the original electronics.
    The necks did tend towards being chunky, so definitely try it out before you decide, but it's worth checking out in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Howard Alden has used similar guitars on and off throughout his career.

Ibanez 2453 Howard Roberts 1977?-howard-alden-jpg

User Info Menu

I had a couple of these when I had my retail store ('75-'84) - real nice instruments - wouldn't mind having one now. I may be wrong but I seem to recall Aria also having a similar model - been a long time ago.....I'm old......

User Info Menu

Of all the Howard Roberts clones made over the years, I like the Ibanez version best.

GB10 pickups tend to be fairly hot, making it a pretty good match for the HR model in my view. I owned an Epi version and the one shortcoming was the pickup. It was too anemic in my view.

User Info Menu

[attach=config]71986
    Ibanez 2453 Howard Roberts 1977?-screenshot_20200507_191633-jpg

Thanks for the replies
    Watching the photos, the neck doesn't seem that thick..
    And yes the Gb10 pickup is certainly a good thing.
    And it stays in the Ibanez DNA.
    Regarding the gypsy guitar aspect, the oval sound hole, in don't think it's all that important anyway.
    Since this guitar looks like an acoustic guitar, I can't help myself from thinking that it may "play" like one. But it must definitely have a jazz guitar playability I suppose
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez 2453 Howard Roberts 1977?-screenshot_20200507_191600-jpg 

User Info Menu

I have the Electra version (X-510) and I like it a lot. I've been using it for a long time now, and it is on the heavier side, but other than that its sounds really great and I find it very versatile.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk