The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I am actually not sure it is a dreadnought case, but it seems like it.

It seems to work and it seems snugly enough. Are there any possible issues that I should be concerned with?

Photo of the case:

Using Epiphone dreadnought case for ES-175-s-l1600-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If it fits, it fits. Dreadnaught cases usually fits 16" archtops. The question is, if the lid is sufficiently domed so there is room for the higher bridge. So don't try to force down the lid if it seems not to close fully with the guitar inside.

Thanks!

So basically as long as I don't need to force the lid to close it fully it should be good to go?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    If it fits, it fits.
    But if it does not fit, you must acquit!

Using Epiphone dreadnought case for ES-175-s-l16001-jpg

I actually didn't consider it. I assumed that it was not an ES-175 case because I saw this photo:

Epiphone Case For ES-175 Premium

There the sides are narrower and resemble the es-175 shape rather than a dreadnought shape.
    Could it be that I was simply wrong and they have different cases?

User Info Menu

If you shake the closed case does the guitar rattle or bounce around at all? And conversely, does is slip into the cushion fairly easily without forcing it? If all of the above, I'd say you're ok for simple daily local use.

User Info Menu

I bought an Eastman AR503CE which I adore, but the hardshell case (original Eastman) was not of the same quality as the guitar IMHO. I stored it temporarily in a Taylor gig bad that was designed for a 14 series Taylor. It fit well but the inner fabric was not friendly to my Eastman’s finish. When I sold the Taylor guitar that went with the gig bag, I sold it (with the buyer’s knowledge) in the Eastman hardshell case. I subsequently upgraded to a better gig bag, but I still own the Taylor hardshell case that came with the 14-style Taylor and that’s what I’ll use for the Eastman when I need protection that the gig bag doesn’t afford. If it fits snugly but not overly tight, supports the neck well and doesn’t stress the top when closed, I think any case-guitar combination is acceptable.

User Info Menu

Yes, in general, dreadnought size cases/gig bags can be used for 16 or 17 inch archtops.

I use a dreadnought size Mono gig bag for my ES 175 and Byrdland. Of course gig bags (with lots of padding) are a bit more forgiving than hard cases. I'm not sure 17 inch in a dreadnought hard case would work well, but 16 inch should be fine. You can use a small cushion for support if there is any loose/wobbly sections.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 05-04-2020 at 01:02 PM.

The ES-175 is 16" so that's good. I don't think a 17" one would fit indeed.

User Info Menu

There are a few little hacks in the mysterious world of guitar cases.
    Yes, ES-175, other 16" archtop guitars generally fit fine in dreadnought guitar cases, so long as there is enough clearance front-to-back - easy enough to check. I've used dreadnought cases for well over 100 16" archtop guitars over the past 30 years with no problems whatsoever. Some with flat tops, some with arched tops. Caveat: I'm not referring to Furutama here, just to American-made cases.

Yes, telecasters generally fit fine in SG cases.
    Attached Images Attached Images Using Epiphone dreadnought case for ES-175-case-fit-tele-v-sg-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-04-2020 at 06:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yes, telecasters generally fit fine in SG cases.
    Well that's a new one on me! We're usually talking about archtops here. But betwen LPs, SGs, Strats, Teles, PRS, Ibanez, etc, there a lot of subtle dimension differences.

User Info Menu

I have an Epiphone dreadnought case, purchased new with my Epi Broadway (17") and they fit perfect together (not too tight, no gap)
    It has no arch on the top.
    An Epiphone dreadnought case would give excessive clearance with a 175 (16" and 24.75" scale length)
    From the pics, I guess that OP's case is not a dreadnought one
    IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    I have an Epiphone dreadnought case, purchased new with my Epi Broadway (17") and they fit perfect together (not too tight, no gap)
    It has no arch on the top.
    An Epiphone dreadnought case would give excessive clearance with a 175 (16" and 24.75" scale length)
    From the pics, I guess that OP's case is not a dreadnought one
    IMHO
    It might be the case indeed. I assumed that just by the shape. Can you elaborate on what you mean by excessive clearance?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBrute
    It might be the case indeed. I assumed that just by the shape. Can you elaborate on what you mean by excessive clearance?
    I mean that the guitar will not be strictly maintained in the case As explained above by WoodySound :
    If you shake the closed case does the guitar rattle or bounce around at all?